About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, June 5, 2011

The Sun Went Out (So We Bought a New One)

FOOD

I've had some good and not so stellar food moments in the past 4 days.  I am very glad I packed so much food to take down to NC with me, I really mostly ate that.

I had Panera's one day for lunch, which was good, and otherwise lunches consisted of salads from the salad bar at the hospital.  I brought bananas with me in case I got hungry, but essentially, I felt pretty well prepared.

The last evening I was there we went out to dinner.  It was a cute place called Blue Moon Bistro, a trendy little tapas restaurant in Beaufort.  We figured it would be more likely to have food I can eat than most others (as you can imagine, the location is very heavy on the seafood - which is totally appropriate for that area - but really light on the vegetarian/vegan options).

I started with a salad that was really yummy.  It was mixed greens and quite a bit of fruit - which I forget I like in my salads and usually never remember to put in the ones I make.



For my other dish, I had asked the waitress what was vegan on the menu.  She indicated that she could talk to the chef, and he could make me a rice and veggies dish without the butter and cheese.  I thought that was great, and I was looking forward to it.

Unfortunately, there was tons of ham in it, and I obviously wouldn't eat it.  The waitress was really upset - and I told her not to be.  So they brought me a veggie side dish.  It was - essentially - canned corn with some snow peas, tomatoes, and crispy onions. 

not a vegan risotto....

tasted just like canned corn, so I didn't eat much of it
Friday morning I had a few spelt cakes and a banana before I drove back to VA.  I didn't stop anywhere on the way, but wasn't too terribly hungry either.

Friday evening we went out to Cogan's Pizza and it was awesome.  Aside from a nice Irish Pale Ale, I had one of the best pizza's I've ever had.  They have vegan cheese, so I wasn't relegated to my usual veggie pizza without cheese (which don't get me wrong...I love).  So for the first time in a LONG time, I had a cheese and veggie pizza!  It was the vegan cheese, red onion, tomato, and artichoke hearts.  Absolutely delicious!


I also ate some for both breakfast and dinner on Saturday!  I think it'll be breakfast today too....

For lunch Saturday, my girlfriends organized going out to one of my favorite Turkish restaurants, Pasha Mezze.  I had a couple glasses of wine (I was being chauffeured!), the maiden cake, and some red lentil soup.  We also had a hummus and olive appetizer.  Everyone loved their food, and it was a really nice couple of hours with friends before we leave for WI on Tuesday.



FITNESS

Working out at the hotel consisted mostly of using their treadmill and the 20 minute yoga podcasts on my iPod.  I did use my workout DVD one day though - but I forgot to bring my dumbbell's.  The front desk looked at me funny when I asked if I could take the weights back to my room for an hour or so to workout, and then bring them back.  I said the alternative would be to bring my laptop and DVD down into the little workout room, and anyone else in there would have to watch and hear it.  They let me take them to my room!

Yesterday was swim and run.  R had her usual swim lesson at 9am, and I swam my laps while she did hers.  We were running a few minutes late, so my workout was down to 20 minutes.  She got into the pool on time, but then I had to go lock our stuff up in the locker room, so by the time I got into the pool, it was almost 910.  I decided to sprint as many laps as I could instead of the steady pace I usually have.  I ended up doing 650 yds at a faster pace. 

I normally take R to gymnastics too, but because of my girls luncheon, D was doing that.  R and I came home, D made a snack for her, and then I went to run.  My oldest A sort of came with me.  She is working on a photography project for school, and the theme is Becoming.  She decided I am the focal point, and it's about my progression in becoming healthy.  So she hopped on her brother's electric scooter, and arranged herself along the route (sometimes lying in people's yards) to take shots of me along the way.  We're also going to pick up a fast food meal for her to take pictures of, and then dinner tonight, which will be a healthy and typical meal of what I currently eat.

LIFE

This past week was mainly focused hard on work.  Aside from the work trip, most of my time when I wasn't at the hospital, was spent in my room working on either the materials for them, or from my regular day to day job.  Since I'm going to be out of town, I want to be sure I'm caught up before I leave.

I did spend some time Wednesday evening wandering around by the water.  It was a beautiful evening for it.


view from my hotel


I couldn't go into the water here...

so I went to the Atlantic Beaches area just down the road




fun little bird prints

lazy litterbugs ruining our beaches


I left in the later part of the morning on Friday, and was about 2 1/2 hrs down the road when I got a call from Travel Services at work.  They had been contacted by the hotel - I apparently left my laptop there.  Ugh.  I wasn't about to turn around and drive to get it, just to drive another 4 hrs home.  I had to have the rental back by 5, so that wasn't really an option.  D called, and they're going to ship it to my friends house (the one who is puppy sitting for us while we're away).

D had arranged haircuts for him and the kids for Friday evening at 6.  The salon we like has a men's salad (Jake's place), a regular salon (Changes hairstyling), and a day spa (Changes City Spa) in 3 different buildings.  D and M went to Jake's, and A and R went to Changes.  I didn't get my hair done.  They all enjoyed their experience and have great cuts too!

before...

...after






Afterwards, we went to eat.  While we were waiting, we perused a comic book shop that was next store, and R got 3 comic books she couldn't stop reading during dinner.  It was cute. 








In the same little block, there is a small fitness center that had a really funny sign....


Saturday morning I was the first up, as usual.  I fed Sammie, and went to turn Kiko's lamp on and feed him.  His sun was out, which made me feel terrible.  He's a turtle, and he needs his sunlight!  So....he had to pretend he lived in Alaska while D went to the pet store and pick up a new bulb.

And now with that last picture....I'm off to hit the gym to work off the pizza I just ate for breakfast!

1 comment:

  1. You know, I never remember to put fruit in my salads. I love strawberries with spinach salads too. Nice hotel view! And doesn't pizza constitute as pre-workout fuel ;-)

    ReplyDelete