About Me

My Photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

No Nut Touching

I apologize yet again for a long delay between blog posts.  My family and I had to travel for a funeral, and while I try to keep my posts mostly light hearted, I didn't feel light of heart most of the time we were gone - and didn't think a blog post would be fun to read or write.  Below are some highlights of the week.

FOOD

Eating on the road is tough.  The first day of the drive was fine; we had a cooler and bags of food packed for the five of us.  It was the REST of the trip that was pretty difficult.

We stopped at Timbucktoo in Fremont, IN on the way up.  It was a cute place, though a little interesting.  I had a small salad and a portabello mushroom sandwich.  We were all pretty exhausted by the time we reached this place, so ordering dinner was funny.  M noticed that on the menu was a dish or two that contained nuts, and pointed it out to D and I.  So when we were all ordering, D was trying to articulate that none of the food that came to our table could have nuts or be made near any nuts, since our youngest has such a severe allergy.  What came out of his mouth, however, was that there could be no nut touching.  I think the waitress turned red, and we all lost it in hysterical laughter.  He was finally able to explain that none of our food could have nuts touching it....but for the past week now, whenever one of us wants to laugh, we just just No Nut Touching and everyone giggles.

We spent the night in South Bend, IN, and since it was M's bday the next morning (poor kid....having to travel on his bday), he picked breakfast.  We went to Perkin's.

I did pack my Vitamix and chocolate Vega powder, so I knew at the very least, I could make smoothies - and I did!  That made me full enough where all I ordered at breakfast was a bowl of fruit, and I was fine.

Otherwise, most of my meals consisted of oatmeal, salads, or pasta.  A week of that gets to be not only very boring, but I also started feeling weighed down.  I knew by the last day or so we were gone, that I was going to have to do a cleanse of some sort when I got back home.  I can't describe the leaden feeling my body has, and I just wanted to purge it all and do a "reset" back to my normal way of eating.  In that vein, I purchased this book for my Kindle and read it on the journey back home.  It's a raw food detox book, and since I have been oh so slowly migrating towards more raw foods in my diet (or "higher raw"), I thought this would be a good road map for me as well.

I mostly enjoyed the book, and am always happy to learn more about nutrition and how different foods affects my body.  Most of it made a lot of sense, though some of it was a little too off the deep end, even for me.  I have decided to incorporate many of the suggestions, but not all of them (no colonic for me, please).

One of the things I liked about the book is that it is not a one-size-fits-all approach.  Going to hard and fast (cold turkey) into a raw food lifestyle can be uncomfortable as your body detoxes too quickly.  She has a graduated approach, and what level you are is based on a quiz in the book to determine what your lifetime of eating habits have been.  I was surprised to find I'm only a Level 3 (I had though I'd be a 2 possibly), but am going to follow her advice for a while and see how it goes.

In a nut shell - fresh green juices for breakfast, and as much fruit as I want to eat until lunchtime.  Lunch will be a raw meal of my choosing (salads, wraps using raw breads/tortillas, spiralized veggies with a raw marinade, etc...), and a cooked meal for dinner.  She calls this "raw until dinner", and I don't think I'll have any problems with doing that as long as I'm prepared.  I will update the blog on how I'm feeling (since today is really the first day).  Breakfast so far was 1/2 a cup of coffee (maybe I'll get to NO coffee someday!) and a green juice (romaine lettuce, celery, lemon, apple, ginger).  I have some cut up melons, blueberries, bananas, and strawberries for when I get hungry until lunch.  I haven't decided on what lunch will be yet though!

Last night, I soaked some flax and sunflower seeds, then this morning I ground those up with the veggie pulp from my juice and some spices to make a raw bread, which is going in the dehydrator now.  I also juiced a pound and a half of carrots (needed the pulp for other things), but of course can't let that go to waste, so I added some celery, orange, and apple, and will have a lovely orange juice ready for me later.  I know I should drink the juice right after it's made, but I'm full from the green juice, so I'm just going to have to wait.






FITNESS

There wasn't much fitness this past week.  After the first day of driving, we arrived in IN at about 10pm.  I was antsy (you don't exactly expend a ton of energy sitting in a mini van for 15 hrs), so I hopped on the treadmill at the hotel's fitness center.  I really, really needed it, though it woke me up even more, so it was after midnight before I fell asleep.

I was shocked and upset to find out our hotel in WI did not have a fitness center.  It was surprising because they had an indoor pool.  And unfortunately, it was a bit out in the country, so the roads in the surrounding areas would not have been safe to run on....I'd have either gotten lost or ended up as road kill. 

There was also no way to workout in our room.  Although we had booked the 2 room suite, we barely fit.  They were the tiniest rooms I'd ever seen!  The kids were stacked on top of each other, and we had to crawl over their pull out bed and cot to get to the other room.  I'm sure this lack of workouts very much contributed to that leaden feeling I picked up while gone.

I'm looking forward to getting my workouts and training back on track!  I have a Tri in a month...and I need to get ready.

LIFE

Life this past week has been a mixture of things.  Sad at having to say goodbye to an important person in my family, happy at getting to see family we haven't seen in years, busy because of the driving and organization needed, and grateful for having a great friend who took care of Sammie, Bumble, and Kiko while we were away.  I spent much of it feeling reflective, which can be hard also. 

The second day of the trip up to WI was my son's 14th bday.  Of course it was a big bummer for him to not get to go to school and spend it with his friends.  Fortunately - my brother in law, Uncle M, picked out a great spot for his bday dinner/party.  We went to Dave & Busters to have dinner and let the kids play video games.  My sister's family was there, as well as my parents, my Aunt, and my Grandma.  The kids had a blast, and M mentioned that he thought he had a great bday after all.  I'm so happy for my family being able to give him that under the circumstances of our trip.







We had dinner at my sister's house, and also spent an afternoon where the kids and my parents came to our hotel to go swimming, and that was fun.  It was awesome to see all the cousins playing together and having such a great time.  I wish there was a way we could do that more often.

So here are some more pictures of the week...















So now life is about getting back on track, but not losing sight of all that went on this past week.  I have a great family that I need to do a better job at keeping in touch with (how much fun will it be to let the little cousins skype?!), and make a better effort to visit with (it's been 3 1/2 years since my entire family went to visit).  It's so easy to think that my individual life in VA is so busy and demanding, that I barely have time for anything else.  Out of sight, out of mind can be a dangerous thing.  I do not want another sad event to be what brings my family all back together.

Until then, it's time to get my house and family back in order and on track, and then plan trips to see family, emails and letters with pictures, and making sure that the communications stay open and frequent.

6 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the loss. At least you got to spend time with family. Love the nut touching story. Too funny. I try to make sure that any hotel has a fitness center now - along with a mini fridge and microwave. Picky??? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear about about your loss Crissie. I know it must have been great to see your family. Good luck with the "no coffee." I think with the progress that you have already made, that won't be nearly as hard as you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry for you loss.

    I was happy to see your post pop in my reader - I was wondering where you were! The raw bread sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heather - I don't think it's picky at all! We had a microwave, a fridge, and a pool. I was a moron for thinking they'd have a small gym too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mel :) It was great to see them, but wish the circumstances were different. I've found that the green juices give me more energy than the coffee does, and that may be the key (though I may have to drink a gallon or so!). Did you ever get a juicer like we were talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  6. JL - bread came out well, but could have used more spices in it. I'm still figuring out the right amounts so the flavor comes through!
    and reading your blogs helped keep me sane this past week :)

    ReplyDelete