About Me

My Photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, June 20, 2011

No Honey, Putting My Glasses Into the Dishwasher Is NOT an Available Option

FOOD

Sunday was spent largely puttering around the kitchen.  The intention was to go out to breakfast for Father's Day, but of course none of us were up and ready to move that early, so we didn't.

I had a 1/2 cup of coffee and another rocket fuel green juice.  I munched on cantaloupe the rest of the morning off and on.


I swear that it doesn't taste like a salad in a glass.  It sort of tastes like lemonade!

For lunch, I made yet another monster salad and sat out on the back porch with my Kindle and a glass of water. 



We did go out for dinner to celebrate, but that was a total disaster!  We went back to a pizza place in Norfolk called Cogan's.  The first time we went about 3 weeks ago, we had a great experience.  Not so much this time.  We got seated right away, though it took awhile for anyone to come by.  By the time our waiter did, we were ready to order.  The kids each ordered off of the menu, and D and I each ordered pizzas (supreme for him - vegan for me).  About 40 minutes later, the kids' food arrives, but not our pizzas (and no one's gotten any refills on drinks!).  The waiter tells me it'll be another 10-15 minutes for those as "they only have one oven".  Ugh.  D's getting upset by this point.  After 10 minutes or so, the kids are done eating and ours isn't at the table.  D goes to talk to the manager, who does her best to recover the situation.  D's pizza eventually arrives, but mine doesn't.  My husband is quite a gentleman, and refuses to eat until my food comes, so his pizza is getting cold and the kids are really getting bored.  We tell them to box up my pizza when it's done along with everything left at the table, and we finally left.  We got home, and D and I ate our cold pizza.


vegan cheese, onion, tomato, and artichoke hearts

Guess what breakfast was for me this morning??  Coffee and green juice.  I see this as a life long trend... I packed up some watermelon and blueberries for snacks, a big salad for lunch, and a couple salad wraps (with marinated kale, shredded broccoli, onion, and mustard).  I thought it was cute that a friend of mine at work knew which containers in the lounge fridge were mine!



My pre-workout snack was a slice of pizza, and my post was a garden whole foods juice in the Vitamix.  All in all...a great couple of days of food.



tomato, bell pepper, onion, hot sauce, carrot, spinach, and ice

FITNESS

Today was a swim day!  Woo hoo.  It was almost a run day (the big storms rolling in have dropped the temps to a chilly 70-75 degrees and I really wanted to run).  BUT....I had packed all swim stuff and really, really needed to hit the pool.  And once I swim, I don't like to do any other workouts (can't handle being damp and then putting on workout clothes).

After work, I went home to pick up M who wanted to come to the gym with me.  I had packed mine and R's swim stuff, and D brought R to the pool just as my workout was ending.  R, M and I swam around for about 45 minutes goofing off, then dried off and went home.  It was nice.

My swim was mostly drills today.  I alternated sprints with pull buoys and kick boards.  And I'm already feeling a bit sore.

I set up the trainer in the green room for my bike.  With it forecasted to storm the next 5 days or so, I'm not sure when I'll be able to get a ride in.  May as well prepare to ride indoors.

LIFE

The whole weekend was very relaxing.  I alternated time in the kitchen yesterday with hanging out on the deck with Sammie and reading.  D was leaving me an Xbox widow all weekend with his game playing, so I did a lot of reading, laundry, kitchen work, and hanging with the munchkins.



The kids all made cards for D for Father's Day, which really made him smile.

kids squished on a bench waiting for our table at Cogan's.  A pretty much never smiles in pictures.  It's annoying.


As we crawled into bed last night, I asked D to wipe my glasses off.  He does such a better job than I do.  After he was done, he advised me to start cleaning them in the dishwasher.  I think he was serious.

This morning was a bit different than normal, but will likely be the summer routine.  I woke up earliest as usual, took a shower, woke D up, and then we woke up R.  While D showered, I made our lunches and got R ready for her day camp.  The older two were still sleeping since it's summer vacation.  D left with R, I finished getting my stuff together, and left about 15 minutes later for work.  It was weird being just the 3 of us in the morning!

Work was a really good day.  I had an entire day of office time (save for a one hour conf call).  I got quite a bit done and felt very productive.  Most of this weeks looks light as many of my colleagues start taking summer vacations, so I imagine I'll get lots done.

I'm off on Thursday for mine and D's annual Busch Garden's (sans children) anniversary trip.  We've done it every year since we moved to VA 7 1/2 years ago.  This will be the first where we're not doing it on our exact anniversary, but it's on Saturday this year and we always go on a week day.  Then that evening we've dinner planned with AC and JC, so it'll be a really nice mid-week break.

Pretty much the only thing I have to complain about is blogger.  For the last several weeks, I have found that I cannot reply to comments left on my blog.  I read the help files, did everything it told me to, and it's still not acting right.  So please forgive me if you've left a comment and I haven't replied.  I'm trying!

In an effort to not jam too much into my mornings, I'm going to go make lunches now, figure out what I'm going to wear to work, and get things for tomorrow organized.  We'll see how long this lasts ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh that really sucks on the pizza ordeal. Sounds like bad service and major kitchen screw ups. I try to be really understanding too (I worked in the restaurant world and know things happen) but when the waiter doesn't take time to at least give drink refills or try to let you know what's up with the food, you sort of stop being understanding after a while.

    ReplyDelete