About Me

My Photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

I Want a Farm Bus Too

FOOD

Anniversary dinner wasn't exactly awesome.  D was craving a chili cheese dog (of all things), so he wanted to go to Kelly's.  I know he picked it because they have a big burger menu - and all their burgers can be made into their veggie burger - so I always have something for me.  The kids like it too, so it "should" have been a winner all around.  We weren't looking for anything fancy (we really did our major celebration on Thursday), so a little Kelly's was in order.

Unfortunately, they no longer carry any hot dogs.  D was really upset, but settled for a bacon cheeseburger (can you tell we didn't get married because we have similar tastes??).  It was way overcooked I guess, so he didn't love it.  Mine was pretty good, and the kids seemed more or less happy.  Our waiter was a little vacant, but at least really nice.

Before bed, I put a batch of overnight oats in the fridge so I'd be ready.  I used soy milk and not almond because of R's allergy, and added a small bit of maple syrup in the morning.  It really didn't need anything else.

D set the coffee pot up since I was getting up early Sunday morning.  On my way out the door, I grabbed a Tervis of black coffee, a bottle of water, my oats, a banana, and a spoon. 

Halfway to Richmond I ate the oats.  They were SO good.  Who knew that chia seeds were so awesome??  And while I wasn't hungry, I ate the banana too since I was heading for a long workout.

Lunch was from the buffet line at Whole Foods.  I only got the cold bar, since I definitely took plenty!  There was a grilled Hawaiian tofu, some curry rice noodles, balsamic tofu, cucumber and red onion salad, tabbouleh, and bamboo green tea rice.  See what I mean...I was STUFFED after this!  I need to live near a Whole Foods.  Seriously...if they won't come to me, I'll go to it.  That's a new requirement on my "will move to" list.  Mass transit, vegan restaurants, many cultural activities, and Whole Foods!



By the time I finally got home, I wasn't up to cooking, so D went around and picked up food for everyone.  M, A, and I got sushi from Kagura, which just opened close to me.  I had a combination of avocado, veggie, and sweet potato rolls.  The kids got something fishy.  D and R had Moe's.



Looking forward to the work week where raw all day will be nice and easy!

FITNESS

Today was a heck of a day - but a good one!

As I mentioned in yesterday's post, my plan for today was to do the Tri route in Richmond for next month's race.  I'm always nervous about hills since we don't have those here.  The couple in Smithfield really got me in April, and since Richmond is hillier, I thought it would ease my mind a bit.

Last night I printed off the maps and then wrote them out on small pieces of paper to tape to my bike handles (you know...L on Knuckles, R on Ashland...etc). 

I woke up at 615am and was out the door by 645.  It's a 2 hr drive, so I wanted to be there in plenty of time to enjoy the workout before crazy heat kicked in.  I pulled into the Y's parking lot, checked in (nice thing about the Y - you join one, you belong to them all), and then took off.

As my map and instructions indicated, I turned left on Knuckles.  Well, it must have been wrong, since I went a good 5 miles and never saw Ashland.  I saw some of the other streets, so I guess I read my map wrong.  Anyway - I biked the distance I needed to, but not the actual route.  I'm not totally worried since I feel I got a sense of the terrain.  The run was easier though - just one road really.  Out and back, so that was good.

I will say the nicest thing was the people.  When I'm out running in my neighborhood, I almost never see anyone else.  I probably ran into a dozen or so people out running and biking.  I like Richmond.

After the run portion, I went into the Y, showered, changed, and then took off.

LIFE

Big news...I booked my trip to Portland, OR for the Vida Vegan Con - Vegan Bloggers Conference.  I'm going to spend a few days in Seattle visiting friends, and then to Portland for the conference!  I'm so excited!!!

Last night D and I both fell asleep while watching a movie.  It wasn't bad, just apparently not good enough to keep us awake.  We did realize today that we fell asleep around the same part though, so that'll be good for picking it back up!

Before bed, D loaded up the van with my bike, Tri bag, a cooler, and my reusable grocery bags.  Since I knew I was going to Richmond, I had to go to Whole Foods.

After my brick workout, I went to REI.  My parents got D and I a gift card for our anniversary, so it was perfect timing.  I picked up some geocaching trackables for D, a first aid kit (makes me nervous he hikes without one), storm matches, blister packs (he has new hiking boots), and for me, a tank top and a one piece Tri suit!  I totally scored.  Yet another store I wish they had by me. 

After that, I went to the Short Pump mall, perused Crate and Barrel and a few other stores, and then hit Whole Foods.  After eating, I went shopping (don't want to shop on a full stomach!).  I picked up some nice produce, many organic and vegan snacks, and even a few magazines.  One made me happy since it's specific to people with food allergies and sensitivities, and I'm always looking for ideas for R.  The other is from Vegetarian Times and is about the bounty from a Farmer's Market.  Oh, and they have a salsa bar!  How brilliant is that??  I made up a concoction of guacamole with extra red onion, tomato, and cilantro. 





Speaking of farms...there was a bus parked outside of WF from a local farm, and you could walk through and pick up fresh produce.  It was pretty neat.  I wish one came by my house.  Sort of like the Book Mobile, but the Veggie Mobile instead!



From there, I drove halfway home to Williamsburg and hit the outlet mall.  My eldest needed new athletic shoes, and I needed a pair of non-running workout shoes too.  I picked those up, a few workout shorts from Under Armour, and then headed home.

While a busy day, it was a nice day.  I got to do a few things I love and spend some quality time with me and my iPod.  Granted - there was a good 4 hrs of driving involved - but that clearly doesn't bother me.

I'm looking forward to another good week both at work and working out.  Here's hoping!

1 comment:

  1. Nice job on the brick workout! I'm so excited to meet you in Portland! Turns out my brother is getting married in LA the weekend prior so Saturday I changed my flight and will now arrive in Portland a few days early -- can't wait!

    ReplyDelete