About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, May 30, 2011

White Girl Freaky and Ghetto Funky

FOOD

I hate to make coffee.  I think I've said that before, but I find it incredibly tedious.  I'm a little annoyed that I had to make coffee three times this weekend!  You'd think that D would set it up - just like he does during the week - to make my morning's easier.  After all...I'm the one who gets up every weekend morning before everyone else does (usually it's because of swimming or Sammie - who does a single bark every 30 seconds after 630 am until someone wakes up and feeds her).

I woke up yesterday around 730am.  I was enjoying some peaceful time (the rest of the family are NOT early risers - neither am I usually, but Sammie gives me no choice) drinking my coffee and catching up on blog reading.  I even added about a half dozen new blogs to my Reader list - mostly relating to being a vegan athlete.

I made Banana Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding for breakfast, which was really good.  I used the last of my frozen bananas, but that's okay.  That's pretty easy to replenish. 


after all the ingredients were mixed together

thick, chocolaty, banana pudding, ready after just a half hour

Lunch was apparently unremarkable since I can't remember.  I know I ate at home - but I have no idea what it was!  Knowing me, probably some fruit, crackers, and hummus.

I decided I wanted a summertime fruity drink, so I did some research and took off for ABC (for those that don't live here - it's the ONLY liquor store allowed - it's government run).  I picked up some vodka, Bahama Mama mix, Bloody Mary mix (do you have any idea how hard it is to find a vegan one????), Creme de Banana, and then mixers from the grocery - OJ, pineapple juice, watermelons, ginger ale, seltzer, white wine, etc.  Yeah - I had a LOT of intentions....now I just have a really full liquor cabinet.  Anyway, I made a pitcher of peach sangria - white wine, seltzer, peach juice, and agave.  It was really boring and blah tasting, so D dumped in some pineapple juice and more wine.  It was still blah, but I had a couple glasses anyway, then ended up dumping the rest.

For dinner, I had a jar of split pea soup that I canned back in the winter with some Thai jasmine rice thrown it.  It was really good, and marks the first time I ate one of the soups I canned! 

Breakfast this morning was green smoothie from Vegan by Valerie.  I followed the recipe exactly except substituting my natural flavored Vega powder for the pea protein powder her recipe has.  It was really tasty, filling, and powered me through an intense 3 hr workout without feeling hungry or having a dip in energy.  Can't beat that!  I did marvel as I was biking that I happen to have all the other ingredients on hand as a normal part of my pantry.  My, how my eating habits have changed over the years!

banana, flax, chocolate, spinach, chia seed smoothie


Right before breakfast, I whipped up half a batch of Savory Pepper Flax Chips that is currently going in the dehydrator.  I have a LOT of traveling coming up in the next few weeks, and I really need to get my take along food going.  I'm really excited to try these, as I love flax crackers, and I get an immense satisfaction out of making all my own food.  There's nothing like really knowing what you're eating.

I am spending the rest of this week (starting about 2pm tomorrow) in NC for work.  I've been there a few times now, and while I'm excited it'll be hot and I can check out the beach - I know they don't really have food I can eat.  My hotel does have a fridge and microwave though, so as long as I bring food I can eat, it'll be fine.

I get back Friday eve, then I have the weekend to do wash, pack, and more cooking - and we hit the road for WI early Tuesday morning.  All the more reason to be prepared on the food front.

Lunch was a simple quinoa pasta dish.  I took the last of my quinoa pasta (about 2 ounces worth), and boiled it with some frozen artichoke hearts, white corn, and baby peas.  I melted a tablespoon of Earth Balance butter into it, and sprinkled with pepper.  Not glamorous, but it's always a good standby when I'm hungry.  It made two servings, so I can either have some for breakfast, or take the rest with me to NC tomorrow.



I've also had a couple Bloody Mary's.  I mean really - why buy out a liquor store and NOT make a drink (or 3)? 

I'm also pressing a brick of tofu to marinate and bake up for my trip this week.  Dinner is looking like it'll be a raw cucumber noodle dish I came across this morning in my blog readings.

FITNESS

Yesterday I rested.  I wanted to run, but I felt really run down.  I actually took a nap - which is rare for me.  I hadn't slept well the night before, and I think it just caught up with me.  I've noticed since early April that my allergies are terrible - worse than normal even.  I've always had really bad allergies (I used to get allergy shots every other day for several years), but since having R 7 years ago, they've gotten much better.  Anyway, I thought it was just that my honeymoon period of 7 years without regular allergy attacks was over, until I read this.  I feel a bit validated that it's truly a terrible allergy season, but it's still wreaking havoc on my life.  The Zyrtec I take - which works great - also knocks me out.  D has also been hit with allergies, so he tends to snore when he lands on his back, and it always wakes me up.  Anyway - I'm already a pretty lousy sleeper, so when he wakes me, it's hard for me to fall back asleep.  I started using these foam earplugs - but my ears are shaped weird, and the left one keeps popping out.  Not fun.  So...to make a short story long, I was too wiped to do much yesterday except nap and read!

Today though, I'd like to think I made up for it!  I picked up some wax based ear plugs (that aren't dependent on fitting into my oddly shaped ear canal), and those worked like a charm!  I slept a full 8 hrs straight!

After breakfast today, I planned my workout.  I biked to the gym (7 miles round trip), lifted weights for an hour (thanks to my ActivTrax printout at the Y), ran on the treadmill for 4 miles, and then swam before biking home!  All told - it took 3 hrs.  I wore my Tri suit so I wouldn't have to do a ton of wardrobe changes.  And since I swam last, I didn't mind being a bit damp during the 90 degree bike ride back home.

I'm not sure what workout options I'll have in NC.  When I was there in March, the fitness room at my hotel was closed due to construction - so I'm going to pack some weights and videos, and if I can find a place to run outside that is safe and where I won't get lost, I'm going to do that.  There's no YMCA or Bally's there (two gym's where I have a membership), so I'll have to get creative.  I did download several Yoga workouts to my iPod just in case too.

LIFE

I mentioned that Sunday was a pretty lazy day.  I woke up early, enjoyed my morning, and went to church.  Since we moved from Virginia Beach to Chesapeake, I've been trying to find a Catholic church that I really like.  I'm from WI (where pretty much everyone is Catholic), but moving to the South 7 years ago - not so much.  As a result, I don't go frequently, and that's been eating at me for quite a while.  My friend S pointed it out to me the other day, and encouraged me yesterday that I would feel better about the events in my family if I just went.  She was absolutely right.  I forget how going to church makes me feel.  I'll be honest - I'm what you call a "cafeteria Catholic" - I pick and choose what I want.  But frankly - a good service makes me feel good.  I think my sister put it perfectly several years ago when we were talking about it - going makes me want to be a better person.  It's so different from when I was a kid, when it felt (to a child) that it was all about the rules and the repercussions of not following them.  Now, it's about Social Justice - paying back to the community and those less fortunate, being understanding and forgiving of others, the message being more important that the literal interpretation, and tolerance.  The sermon was great, and talked about the recently confirmed teenagers in the parish.  Getting them (or me...as a totally 'wired' adult) to put the cell phones, ipods, etc down for an hour and listen is tough.  But get them involved in community outreach (those affected by storms, homeless shelters, soup kitchens), and suddenly there's meaning behind actions.  I prayed for/to my Grandma, said hi to her since I know she can hear me, and left Mass feeling whole.  Thanks S - even though you may not be reading this.  You gave me the kick in the butt I needed.

D wasn't up to going anywhere yesterday (beach, pool, Busch Gardens, Watercountry), so we stayed home.  After my nap and ABC trip, we made dinner, and the 5 of us sat down to watch a couple things.  First on the agenda - the season finale of American Idol.  Now, we're not regular watchers, and frequently lose interest.  D and I already knew who won, so we really didn't care.  We watched it because this is the second reality TV show in a row where R's favorite won.  She wanted Boston Rob to win Survivor - and he did - and she's LOVED Scotty McReery from day 1 on AI, so since we knew he won...we all watched it.  It was actually a fun show with Jack Black, Judas Priest (did I mention that the drummer was at my friends wedding last month?!?!?  He and the groom grew up together), Tom Jones, Tony Bennett, etc.  Fun show.

while I was at ABC, R was apparently lying on my bed playing her Nintendo....


After that, we HAD to watch the first episode of So You Think You Can Dance.  This is probably one of our very favorite shows.  Really...anyone who watches Dancing with the Starts (which we don't), would dump it after seeing this show and the athletes/professional dancers really dancing.  It's amazing.  One girl was auditioning in San Francisco, and one of the judges referred to her as white girl freaky and ghetto funky.  I thought that was the best line I'd heard in awhile (and perfectly apt for this dancer). 

After that, we all pretty much went to bed.

This morning I woke up around 830 (talk about TOTALLY sleeping in!), and D woke up about 15 minutes later.  Too bad I had already started coffee :(

We made a big breakfast (smoothie just for me), then I hit the workout.  After getting home, it was shower, lunch, bloody mary's, and laundry.  I'm hoping tonight we watch one of our Netflix movies (King's Speech or The Tourist), and then I have to pack for my week in NC.  If not...maybe some True Blood or Glee!

I'm leaving you with a picture of A that D took Saturday evening when they went to dinner and art shows. 

1 comment:

  1. LOL - love all the liquors you loaded up with. Love a good sangria. If you want the easiest and healthiest (if that's possible) strawberry daiquiri all you need is either fresh or frozen strawberries and vanilla rum. That's it. If you use fresh berries, you'll need ice of course.

    From what I've heard, this has been a super intense allergy season for everyone. I've had issues that I haven't had in years.

    ReplyDelete