About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Friday, May 13, 2011

Trying to Convince My Eye Dr I Don’t Age

sorry this post is delayed.  The blogger site was down for the past day....

FOOD



Wednesday morning was coffee and a banana at 5am before one of those insane early meetings. I just can’t manage to eat much more than that at such a ridiculous hour. I also didn’t want to risk getting sick during that meeting if I had any lingering stomach issues.


Before I went to work I started soaking some mixed beans to put into my sprout trays (chickpeas, adzuki beans, lentils, and peas mostly). In a few days I’ll have several cups of the crunchy sprouts, which I tend to favor over the seed sprouts like alfalfa.


I had a mid-morning snack of yet another banana, and then my leftover raw zucchini pasta with marinara for lunch. It was just as good the second day, which made me really happy. I wasn’t sure how well it would hold up. I’ve noticed with all the raw recipes, Ani does a great job of explaining that something is good for 1 day, or 2 days, etc, and the servings for each recipe are typically 4 or less since you really can’t do leftovers much beyond 2 days.


For dinner, I met up with a friend of mine for some wine and food. I had a hummus/avocado bruchetta and their “wine country” salad (sans cheese), which was greens, apples, and strawberries in a raspberry vinaigrette. We had a nice time and the food was great.


This morning’s breakfast was the rest of the “untuna” salad in lettuce cups and topped with some sweet pickle relish and some of the marinated onions I made the other day. I also made a 24 ounce juice to take with me in the morning of apple, carrot, pineapple, and orange.





After my eye dr appt today, I was only a little hungry, and munched on some Mary’s Gone Crackers while working and had a banana and a cup of tea. It wasn’t a real meal, but I wasn’t sure where I’d be for lunch (office, on the road, hospital, etc), so I didn’t really pack anything.


Dinner was another lettuce cup wrap/taco thing. I’m really digging those the past few months. They’re such a convenient way to make pretty much every meal portable, and by using lettuce instead of bread, pita’s, or tortillas, it’s keeping the calorie count down and the nutrient count up. Can’t really beat that!




So tonight’s wrap was with a quinoa salad. This is another one of those flexible dishes that is quite forgiving with ingredients. Here’s tonight’s version…






Spicy Quinoa Salad


1 cup quinoa (or brown rice or couscous)
¼ cup lime juice (I juiced 3 small limes)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 can drained and rinsed black beans
¼ cup (about 1/3 bunch) cilantro leaves, minced or chopped fine
¼ cup diced red onion
¾ tsp chili powder (I used a Hot chili powder from my WI spice kit)
1 hot pepper (optional. I usually go for it because I love spice)
½ diced bell pepper (I use red, yellow, or orange. I’m not a big fan of the green ones)


*Rinse the quinoa very well before cooking to remove the dust that causes it to otherwise taste bitter. It makes a HUGE difference in how it tastes if you rinse it.
*bring the quinoa to boil with 2 cups of water, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. OR – throw it into a rice cooker and cook on the white rice setting.
*add everything else.


THAT’S IT! I used to add corn, but with D’s Crohn’s, that’s on his banned foods list.


I’ve made variations with no chili powder, or swapping out chickpeas for the black beans and adding mandarin orange slices. The possible combinations are limitless.

 
FITNESS


It seems that D is coming down with what I just had, so my workout plans for today were slightly abbreviated. I was planning to hit the gym to lift and then run 4 miles. Unfortunately, that would have meant D had to take R to gymnastics, and with him feeling icky, that just wasn’t going to happen. So…no time for the gym after work. I did make it out for my run though.


The run was a mixed bag today. I haven’t run since Sunday, and it was getting on my nerves (and I’m sure that I was getting on the nerves of everyone around me!). I was pressed for time and went running not long after eating, and running on a full stomach sucks. I felt pretty good for most of the run, but slightly uncomfortable with my fuller belly.  I'm just glad my dinner was light - had it been a big pasta meal or Thai, there's no way I'd have even tried.


I had just enough time to take a quick shower, throw my PJ’s on, and get R to gymnastics (yes….I wore my PJ’s to her class).


I do have to do a quick product plug. I use something called a Road ID. It’s a simple $15 bracelet that has emergency contact information so if you’re out running, biking, etc (and we typically don’t have room to carry our ID in our running bras) and get hurt, EMS can identify you and contact your family. It’s the world’s cheapest insurance policy and a must for anyone who works out alone outside. My new one arrived on Monday, and I am really excited. I bought the slim one that is similar to a blend between a Livestrong bracelet and an allergy bracelet (and I do have a latex allergy – which is reflected on my Road ID – critical for an ambulance worker who finds me and needs to treat me should I get hit by a car or pass out or something else crazy). I can wear it running, biking, OR swimming – which is pretty cool. As I get more involved with Tri’s and start doing open water swimming, it’ll be even more critical that I have some type of identification on me. Again – not like my bathing suit or wetsuit will have pockets for my driver’s license! I can’t stress it enough – if you don’t have one – GET ONE. It could save your life someday.


LIFE


Yesterday was busy. And any day that begins with a 0445 alarm is NOT a happy start to the morning. I had meetings that started at 7am and went until 12. Then I had to pick each of the kids up (3 of them…from 3 different schools) and cart them off to the eye doctor. All three are great. M just started wearing glasses a year ago, and his prescription didn’t change. A’s been wearing glasses since she was 6, and for years her prescription got stronger and stronger. This year though, her prescription didn’t change, so that was a relief to everyone. R’s vision is great and she doesn’t need glasses. A is going to have to start wearing contacts again though – or get prescription sunglasses. With her now driving and being short like her mother (read….sun visors don’t work for us!), I’m not comfortable with her driving without sunglasses.


We got home around 5, made their dinner really quickly, and then was off to meet AC for our evening out.


Today was the normal alarm time of 0545. A much more respectable hour, though I didn’t sleep well last night (had a nice 130am resurgence of my belly issues), but was back asleep by 230. I had two meetings early this morning, and then it was off to my eye dr appt.


So I’m sitting in the chair talking to my doctor (who – with his wife who is the pediatric eye dr my kids see – is the most amazing eye dr ever), and he starts telling me that, since I’m getting close to being 40, I’m going to start noticing changes in my vision with reading things up-close. Blah blah blah…he’s telling me to buckle up – in the next few years, I’ll need bifocals. My response… “I don’t age”. He laughs and tells me that of course I age, and he’s not wrong – and I’ll need to let him know when I have to stretch my arm out all the way and hold my reading materials and still can’t see – that that will be the key that it’s time to get bifocals. I repeated myself. I don’t age.


To digress a bit…I’m from a pretty fortunate gene pool. The women in my family simply don’t look their age. There were certainly times when it got on my nerves (especially if I was trying to get into a bar and there was NO WAY I looked even 16, much less 21….), but looking younger than my years is kinda cool now. More often than not, I get carded, and the look people give me when they find out how old I am makes me giggle. There’s the occasional idiot who calls me “ma’am”, but I forgive them as apparently needing glasses.

So Dr. G and I go through our little argument about my eyes, and he proceeds to do my exam. At the end he tells me “good news – your prescription is exactly the same still ”. My response? Told ya…I Don’t Age.



After that triumphant moment, it was time to head back to work. D and I were going to try and get lunch together, but he started to not feel well, and ended up heading home and to bed sometime around 1. I didn’t have any afternoon meetings, so I plowed through a ton of emails, set up some appointments, and basically got some great productive office time that I usually don’t get during normal work hours.


Tomorrow is a busy day, but hopefully will be just as pleasant as today was. G’Night!




No comments:

Post a Comment