About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Speed Limits. Recognize Them. Obey Them, or PULL OVER

FOOD

Last night was too hot for a real meal, so I munched on some fruit, and that was pretty much it.  D and the kids ate though, so I guess that's what matters.

First thing this morning I checked on my crackers.  They look so cool....D didn't like them, but he doesn't like bell peppers.  I'm looking forward to eating them with some hummus!



Breakfast this morning was coffee (which was better than the coffee I had all weekend because I didn't have to make it!), cereal, vanilla soy milk, and a banana.

I marinated the tofu, whipped up a tofu eggless salad, and a batch of Moroccan lentils too.  I'm back in NC for the rest of the week for work, and finding vegan-friendly restaurants was tough the past few times I was here.  My hotel has a microwave and fridge, so there was really no excuses to not pack my own food.

tofu marinated in OJ, soy sauce, mirin, garlic, ginger, and cayenne (from Vegan Lunch Box)
after baking...perfect snack sized!
1 cup red lentils simmering in 2 cups veggie broth with 2 tsp of Baharat Spice Mix
Baharat Spice from my Christmas spice kit!

added some onions stir fried with more of the spices and mixed in
tofu eggless salad
my bag of food (and yes...a bottle of wine) for my work trip to NC


I had a quick lunch of the eggless salad on raw bread with a chunk of avocado.  It's small, but very filling.



FITNESS

I'm a bit sore today!  I imagine that my workout yesterday was bound to do that though.  It's not an overdone sore - but a good one where I know I worked hard (and smart since I CAN move!).

I went for a run this morning and it was tough.  It was already 90 degrees (with the humidity), and while I left home intending to run 4-5, I only made it 3.  I had a water bottle with me, and I burned through that so quickly it was crazy. 

I packed plenty of workout clothes, workout DVDs, and of course my yoga podcasts on my iPod.  There's a fitness center at the hotel, so if I can't run outside here, I at least have a treadmill available to me.

LIFE

The weather has definitely been ridiculously hot.  It hit 100 today as I was driving to Morehead City!  There's little fun about weather like this.

We decided to bring out the kiddie pool yesterday and fill it up and let the kids play.  It was after 6pm, and was still in the 90's and hot.  It's sort of funny watching my 16 and 14 yr olds playing in a kiddie pool...but it was still a lot of fun!













trying (and failing) to get Sammie into the pool







Aside from my workout, the rest of the day was spent catching up on the wash, and then hanging out outside with D and the kids.  D and I stayed up a little later than normal, and went to bed around 1130.

Today was work and meetings in the morning, and then picking up my rental car and driving down to Morehead City, NC.  My rental is probably the nicest I've had in a long time (it's arranged through work), and I have a 2011 Ford Explorer.  It's comfy and everything is touch screen.  Down side??  No way to plug in my ipod....so I had to listen to the radio.  Somewhere after Elizabeth City, my radio station faded out, and I was given the choice between 4000 country stations, a classical music station, religious radio, and one classic rock station.  Since I'm not a country fan....classic rock it was.  Some was good (like Def Leopard, CCR, and even an REO Speedwagon song I knew).  Some....not so much.  Note to self...pack CD's next time.

One annoying thing about this 4 hr drive is the speed limit changes.  It's 55 in VA, but jumps up to 70 as soon as you hit NC.  Then it goes between 45-75 the rest of the way.  I was getting very aggravated being boxed in behind cars going 52 mph in the 70 zone.  I tried calling my Dad to whine about it, but he wasn't home.  I decided I needed a flashing neon sign to put on top of my car to flash messages at my fellow drivers, such as "speed limit is 70 you moron.  Speed up or get off the road!).  I wouldn't mind if they just didn't want to speed.  Heck..I don't speed anymore than 2 mph over the speed limit (hello....speeding tickets!).  So I can understand.  But going UNDER???  No excuses for that.  Either too old to drive or too distracted to drive.  Either way - shouldn't be driving.  So get off the road, and let the rest of us keep our sanity!

So I made it here around 6pm, and I have a ocean view room, which is nice.  The pool is open and I'm probably going to spend some time sitting poolside, reading, and munching on tofu!

1 comment: