About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Saturday, May 28, 2011

I Have a Tofu Superhero

FOOD

Yeah...I know...it's been an entire week since I posted.  I haven't been neglectful on purpose, I promise.  I really need to do smaller posts more frequently than the novels I end up writing...okay, so no guarantees any will be short....but still.  Sorry it's been a week (again).

So what's the easiest way to summarize a week's worth of eating?  With pictures I suppose!  I didn't take photos of everything (like last night's Pho for example), but I did snap a few.

I made two dishes on Sunday, and couldn't decide which to have - so I had both.  On the left is a favorite of mine from Love, Veggies, and Yoga (I used Red Thai Curry spice) and a split pea soup recipe from the Candle Cafe.

not pretty, but tasty. 

My smoothie one morning came out much thicker than I usually do - more the consistency of ice cream than a smoothie.  Rather than let it sit in my glass for 5 minutes to melt, I decided to put it in a bowl and sprinkle the homemade buckwheat granola I made in my dehydrator on it.  Sort of like having ice cream for breakfast.  I felt a little naughty doing that!

blueberry, banana, strawberry, and chocolate "smoothie" with granola
One night my daughter A and my friend AC went out for Thai food after an art show.  I had my typical fresh spring rolls and green curry - though I was annoyed they put mushrooms in it.  They don't do that on the lunch menu, and I'm not a fan of mushrooms except portabella's.

lots of veggies!  All good - except the mushrooms which I probably removed prior to the taking the picture!

steamed tofu spring rolls

Friday afternoon I met D out for lunch at one of our favorite Japanese places.  He had hibachi like he pretty much always does, and I had veggie and cucumber rolls.



After I took A to an eye doctor appointment (contact lens check), we hit Skinny Dippers!  It's a local frozen yogurt buffet place where you just pay by the ounce.  They often make vegan soy ice cream, and they list every morning on their Facebook page what their flavors are at each location.  It just so happens that the one by me had Mint Chocolate Soy Ice Cream.  So of course I HAD to go! 

mint chocolate ice cream with fresh pineapple and strawberries
FITNESS

I pretty much only ran this week (with the exception of today).  It's been a busy week, and it's the only activity I had time for.  To be honest - swimming involves a trip to the gym, and biking involves driving to the trails so I can ride safely - and when time is limited, there's nothing like a run from out the front door.  No travel required other than what my feet can handle. 

I will admit that two of my runs were on the treadmill though.  For both, it was over 90 degrees, and I'm just not acclimated to quite that intense heat just yet.  It's like VA didn't gradually warm up this year.  It was 50 one day, and 85 the next!  When that happens, I typically run after dark (after 9-930 pm), but I didn't have that option two days this week.  I had evening plans, and had to do a run right after getting home - which was still full sun, full hot, and not comfortable to run in.

This morning I went swimming as I do every Saturday with R.  She does her lesson, and I do laps.  I only got in 950 yds, but it was due to a wonderful surprise.  I was up at 730 this morning (slept in!) and R and I were out the door by 845.  D was still sleeping, and I didn't want to wake him, so when we left, we did so quietly (the teenagers were also still asleep).  Anyhow, I was coming to the wall to turn around, and I saw an outline of a person sitting right by the lane.  I stopped, and noticed it was D!  He woke up, realized we didn't say goodbye, so he came to the pool to say hello and give us each a quick kiss.  It was really cute, and very much made me smile.  We chatted for a few, and then he left.

After the lesson/laps were over, R and I went into the other pool and played catch with the football, hung out in the hot tub, and then hit the showers.  Then it was on to her gymnastics class and then home.

I'm going for a run tonight after D and A get home.  For once, I wanted to write my blog BEFORE 11pm!

LIFE

What can I say, life has been anything but dull this week.  It was definitely a hectic work week, and D and I were both really busy at the office.  For me it was the usual - tons of meetings and trying to get things done.  On the work front, it was a good week, and I can't complain at all.

Wednesday D and I had a work outing.  Typically, we can't both go - A doesn't get home from school until 6ish, so one of us has to be around to pick her up.  It's usually D who does.  It just so happens that Wednesday was A's eye dr appt at 2, so when it was done, I didn't take her back to school.  All 3 kids were home by 430.  So we totally had a Haley's comet evening - once in a blue moon, the planets align, and D and I can BOTH attend these.  It was a nice and very needed evening.

Thursday was a juried art show at my daughter's art school.  I took A, and my friend AC met us there.  I was blown away by some of the pieces on display.  It's hard to remember sometimes that I'm looking at the work of high school students.  One in particular got my attention, and I actually took a picture of it and her description of the work.  First of all - I was impressed by her narrative.  It made me look that much more closely at the work itself.  Essentially - she has grown up in a family where everyone smokes except her (mom, dad, sister).  She's struggled with it and seeing their addiction to something they know can and will kill them someday.  Over a 3 week period, she collected their cigarette butts and made a very moving piece - completely out of those butts.  I just thought it was pretty awesome.





After the show, we walked across the street for some awesome Thai food.  As I was looking at the menu and trying to find a dish I wanted to try more than my usual green curry (I obviously failed), I noticed a menu item called Tofu Tod.  It sounded good, except the peanut sauce, but I thought the name was fun.  So....my daughter brought out her sketch book and drew me a Tofu Tod...the Superhero.  I thought that was pretty groovy too.


Friday was a difficult day as we received word of a family event back home in WI - that while we knew was imminent - was sad just the same.  We are making arrangements here to be traveling back home in a little over a week to spend time with family and honoring the memory of a loved one.

In typical fashion, my very good friend S came to my house to "rescue" me for a bit and be exactly what a good friend is - just there to listen, comfort, and try to make you giggle.  We went for a couple glasses of wine and telling stories of fond memories of family.  It was exactly what I needed.

D and I decided that we were going to take the kids shopping.  They all needed some new clothes, and certainly needed clothing that was more appropriate for our trip.  So after everyone was home, we went to the mall, shopped for a bit, walked around, had dinner, kept each other's spirits up, and just spent time as a family.  It was very nice. 

Today was a typical whirl wind Saturday.  Swimming, gymnastics, lunch, house work, and yard work.  All of that was done by 1pm.  I left around 2 to take R and M to see Kung Fu Panda 2 (I liked it more than the first one!), and D took A driving downtown (eek...freeway driving) and then to dinner, and right now they're at a senior art show.  I imagine this evening will be quiet, with maybe a movie from Netflix after my run and shower and I'm snugly in my jammies. 

No comments:

Post a Comment