About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

Excessive Fun Friday Nights Leads to Lazy Saturdays!

FOOD

Breakfast on Friday was coffee, watermelon, and banana.  I wasn't starving, and didn't want to fill up too much before working out.  For my mid-morning snack I had pasta.  I finally got to use the cilantro pesto I made a few days ago.  It was a simple dish - just some whole grain rotini pasta with the pesto tossed in.  There's some cayenne pepper in the pesto, so it has a light bit of heat to it, and didn't need any other seasonings.



I was really excited about lunch, though.  I made a raw lunch from Ani's Raw Food Kitchen that was just amazing.  I made the Thai Spicy Cucumber Salad and the Avocado Kream Soup.  Both were incredible, and I can't wait to make more from her book.  The food was hearty and filling (tons of fresh broccoli and tomatoes as a garnish for the soup certainly helped with that!).  I ate lunch really late since I had plans for the evening that didn't necessarily involve food.





The evening was a girls night, and we munched on some snacks; my favorite Dr. Kracker crackers, hummus, kale chips, broccoli, fruit, and then once we were out, I had half of a vegan veggie spicy wrap.  I feel sort of like an idiot for bringing healthy foods to a girls night of debauchery, but just can't seem to help myself. 



Today breakfast was a toasted plain bagel and coffee at the hotel.  I was craving something greasy, but didn't give in!  Really...the only reason I didn't give in is because I didn't know where to find onion rings at 8 in the morning.

For lunch, I had more of the avocado soup to finish it off.  I again loaded it was broccoli and tomatoes, and this time, also topped it with some spicy seeds.  SO yummy and filling!  Since I ate that lunch so late (about 4pm!), I've mostly just snacked this afternoon.  I had some seed crackers, and then made a plate of apple, banana, and pineapple, all sprinkled with some agave and cinnamon.  I was craving something sweet.



FITNESS

As planned, I hit the gym to do the strength training routine from the new ActiveTrax system, and then I went running.  It's going to take some getting used to the new system.  I like that it's dynamic (it generates workouts based on your preferences, and when you're done, you enter how you did, and it builds off of it over time).  I don't like it involves having to carry around a piece of paper (Fitlinxx was much simpler), and it has me using pieces of equipment with which I'm not familiar nor comfortable.  I got through it though, and will keep at it.

The run was nice - it was a pleasant morning, though a bit windy.  I ran through an area I never have been before (on the lookout for safe passage via back streets to the gym), and that always makes me happy.

Today was supposed to be a swim and a run.  Sorry - skipped it.  I stayed up WAY too late last night, got up too early this morning, and napped away a good 3 hrs from 1130-230.  I feel guilty about it, and am thinking of upping the workouts tomorrow to make up for it.  We'll see.

LIFE

Yesterday/last night was an absolute blast.  It's my friend K's bday on Saturday, and the girls wanted to show her a good time.  To this end, I booked two hotel rooms at a new and trendy hotel in the area.  My husband had a lot to do with making it a great time too though.  He called the hotel several times to make sure we'd have a shuttle to take us to our outing, that our rooms were nice, and he even stopped by (unbeknownst to me) and left two bottles of wine in each room with a happy birthday note for K!  He wanted to help make sure everything was perfect (and we were carted around safely), and I love him to death for that.

S brought pretzels, and alcohol (to make mojitos), and K even brought some Captain Morgan's and soda.  We were definitely set.

We were all there by 530, sat around, talked, goofed off, and had several drinks.  The shuttle picked us up at 815 to take us to the restaurant/bar where we were grabbing dinner and seeing a local band play.  We ate, danced, drank (why exactly is it traditional to do shots on birthdays???  ugh...), mingled, and did whatever we could to be sure K had a great time. 






That's the birthday girl in the middle!


We took a cab back to the hotel around 1230am, stopped at the bar in the hotel for one more drink, and then went to our rooms to lie around, chat some more, and eventually go to sleep.  Not sure when that was, but I'm guessing it was somewhere around 230 or so.

I was home by 1030 this morning, and asleep again by 1130!  I suppose I could have been more productive, but that's okay.  I'm not exactly 21 anymore, and in order to feel solidly human again, I really needed that nap.  And water :)

This evening has been mostly meal planning, grocery shopping, and catching up on the Vampire Diaries.  I can't help it - I absolutely LOVE that show.  Season finale is next week, and it's making me sad to think about.

D and M are at a baseball game tonight, so it's just me and my daughters.  I did send D to Sears on their way though to look a lawn mowers.  Ours has been dead since last fall, and I'm starting to get really annoyed.  We've talked for weeks, and I'm finally to the point where if he doesn't pick one out, I will, and he'll just have to live with it.  It did that a year ago with the weed whacker, and he complained I didn't get the one he would have.  Oh well.....don't really care at this point!

I have an update about D's Crohn's.  We were both pretty upset by the letter that came on Wednesday from the NP (he usually sees the MD, but this last appt the office booked him with the Nurse Practitioner).  Thursday during his lunch hour, D went to the Dr's office asking for someone to talk to him and explain the letter he got indicating his Crohn's is getting worse and he may need to start taking a very invasive medication - as well as the new dietary restrictions.  After being ignored for MUCH too long, the practice manager finally came to see him.  Turns out - this NP sends this letter to ALL of her patients.  It's a form letter, and means nothing.  After pulling up D's old results and the new ones - he's actually doing better.  There is no need to further restrict his diet or change his meds.  He made sure to express his displeasure and disappointment while there...which is good because I'd have been showing up there if he hadn't!

The rest of the evening will be very laid back!  I'm going to hang out with the girls, maybe watch a movie, and try to get them to agree to go to bed fairly early :)

No comments:

Post a Comment