About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Meetings, Swimming, and Sushi. Not Bad for a Tuesday

FOOD

I have come to the conclusion that there are not four seasons in Virginia.  We have the time of year that requires a heater, and the time of year that requires an air conditioner.  The "times" of the year that fall in between can be counted in hours rather than months.  I love it here...but I'd like a stretch of a few weeks each year where I can just have the windows open and have it be comfortable.

Warmer weather requires different eating than hotter weather.  Hot days mean no oven.  I'm thinking this is the perfect time of year to keep working on incorporating more raw foods into my life.  Goodness knows I don't want to be in the kitchen with the oven on when it's 92 degrees outside and my AC is trying to be sure the temp inside the house is livable....

As such, I didn't spend much time in the kitchen today.  Never mind that I was just too busy...it was also just too hot!

Breakfast was cereal and vanilla soy milk and coffee.  Unoriginal to be sure, but seemed to do the job just fine.  I also made an apple/carrot/orange juice (still haven't gone shopping), and had that on the way into work this morning.

Lunch was reheated dinner from yesterday; brown veggie rice with tomato veggie soup and fresh cilantro!  I also had about a quarter of a cup of a raw spicy seed mix I picked up at Heritage a few weeks ago.  I can't believe it took me so long to open the package.  The stuff is awesome.



I munched on half of a Clif bar about a half hour before my workout.  My bananas have turned, or I'd have had those.  They are heading into the freezer before bed tonight, and will likely make their way into a smoothie in the morning.  With the increase in warm weather also seems to come the increase in morning smoothies.  It's a little like having ice cream for breakfast!

Dinner was at Haru Sushi with AT.  I had a bowl of miso soup (the best in town), and a some cucumber and avocado rolls.  And some Cabernet.  Yummy dinner and great company.  Can't beat it.




FITNESS

Today ended up just being a swim day instead of swim and run.  AC couldn't make it for our run this evening at 5, so I just did the scheduled swim.

I got ahold of a friend of mine who I did the Tri with, AT, and we made plans to hit the pool after work.  I had my swimplan workout, and we more or less stuck to it.  I'm not sure exactly how far we swam, but we'd do 100 yds...chat for a minute...do 50...chat...repeat for about 40 minutes.  We probably should have done more swimming and less talking (who knew swimming could be a social sport??), but we haven't seen each other in a few weeks, and it was more fun catching up.

With the hot season seeming to be in full swing, I really need to do something about this morning workout thing.  I've been wanting to do it, but just haven't figured it out (nor really wanted to give up my 6am wake time for anything earlier unless under severe circumstances).  I've decided that I should start setting my alarm for 10 minutes early every 5-6 days or so, until I can get up early enough to workout.  Yeah.  We'll see how that goes.  It's that or go back to working out at 10pm once summer is in full swing.


LIFE

Only two meetings today, so bonus for me!  One of them was almost 3 hrs long though, so that ate up a ton of my day, but I still have the happy post-vacation thing going on, so I can't complain.  The afternoon meeting was a wee more stressful, but not because of anyone I work with.  We're just at a frustrating point in our project, and have more than a few roadblocks.  This is where "bitchy-Crissie" has a tendency to show herself.

After work, swimming, and dinner, it was time to come home, hang out, and do some cleaning.  I got my room, the kitchen, and the dining room floors cleaned, which is a huge accomplishment on a weeknight.  I'm prepping the house for the house cleaners!  I know...needs to be relatively clean and organized before I'll have strangers in it. 

D had his tests today, and he's feeling pretty icky.  We expected that since the barium has to find it's way OUT of his system too.  He had to drink the nasty stuff, and then have Xrays taken of his digestive system every 30 minutes until the barium was through.  We obviously don't know the results yet, but the radiologist mentioned that he was "having a hard time" getting the barium to D's lower intestine.  Not sure if that means a fistula or what, but hopefully we'll find out soon.

So I'm off to go get work and school lunches for tomorrow ready and then comfort D, who's stretched out on the bed watching TV and feeling miserable.  Hopefully this will all "pass" by morning since he has to go to work.

1 comment:

  1. LOL - that's pretty much how our weather is here too. Definitely makes you appreciate those rare days when you can open the windows!

    ReplyDelete