About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Lazy Days are Gone Again (big sigh...)

FOOD

Most of my food adventures have been making juices.  I've been making at least 2 per day all week long, and totally loving the creations.  Most have been fruit juices, there's been one all-veggie juice, and a few have been fruit/veg blends.  Here are a couple samplings...

old faithful from the Vitamix...spicy garden tomato whole food juice!  Tomato, spinach, carrot, onion, bell pepper, habanero hot sauce, ice, and vegan Worcestershire sauce.  Think uber- bloody mary mix without the vodka (though that could be a fun addition as well).

pineapple, pear, and lime through the juicer




cantaloupe, apple, mint



There have been a few more too, like apple/orange/carrot, apple/watermelon/mint (digging the mint thing), spinach/blueberry/apple/orange/mango.

Lunch one day was a simple wrap with hummus, cabbage, onion, and cucumber.  This is another dish that I have a tendency to make and load up with whatever I have on hand.




I've had a few other things too.  I made a tofu dish for dinner on Thursday night that was pretty good.

Tofu Stir Fry

1 brick tofu, pressed and cubed (I love my Tofu Xpress for this....)
1 head broccoli, cut into flowerettes
1/2 red onion, cut into large pieces
8 ish small red potatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into bite sized pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp red wine vinegar
5-6 dashes liquid smoke

I toss all the ingredients in a bowl and let it marinate for a few hours.  Heat up a large wok-sized pan (or a veggie grill basket if doing on the grill).  Saute until the tofu starts turning golden brown.  I usually cover for 5-6 minutes to steam the veggies also.

It's a very simple stand-by recipe that can lend itself to the addition of many different veggies.  I've made it with zucchini, cauliflower, even okra.  The marinade changes - from red wine vinegar to balsamic, or the addition of something spicy.


served over brown basmati rice


For lunch on Friday, I met up with a good friend for Thai.  We were actually planning on going to Quenna's raw vegan restaurant (I've been craving it lately), but when we got there, we found that they were closed for spring break week.  Bummer. We went down the street to a Thai place in Ward's Corner area of town.  It was okay.  Not the best Thai though, and that was disappointing.  They fried the tofu in their fresh and steamed spring rolls - which decreased the health factor and frankly - changed the flavor to one I didn't really like.  The green curry was nicely spicy, but otherwise only so-so.  What mattered most was the company, and L and I got to catch up after not seeing each other for a few weeks.




R really wanted pancakes for breakfast, so I made her some special ones....


...she was thrilled.  I know...totally cheesy that I have a pancake/egg mold in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head.  What can I say.  I love Disney.

Breakfast today was the same as Friday - a savory miso-quinoa-cauliflower dish.  Nothing complicated - just replaced the 2 cups of water with 2 cups of miso soup, 1 cup of rinsed quinoa, and a cup or two of frozen cauliflower.  Very filling and was a pre-workout meal twice - and both times gave great energy.

not pretty, but very tasty


Lunch today was a salad at Busch gardens, and dinner a bean and veggie burrito with vegan sour cream and hot sauce!



FITNESS

I went on several runs this week, including this morning, but the highlight was the swim on Friday morning.  I printed out a 1200yd swim workout from Swim Plan and hit the pool.  The whole thing felt great, and I've missed the water a lot. 

I also bought a new bike helmet.  The night before the Tri earlier in the month, I found a pretty large crack on the front of my helmet.  I put my race sticker over it (bad, I know - but if I hadn't, I wouldn't have been allowed to race).  Now that I have a new (and pretty groovy) helmet, I can finally hit the road again!

I'm pretty set on a Tri up in Richmond in July called Pink Power.  It's a women's only Tri, and from what I've heard, it's a lot of fun.  It's also really hilly....but I think I'll survive.

LIFE

This week was mostly about catching up.  At home, with friends, some work, and making the most of my time off.

I had lunch with a friend, goofed off with the kids, a girls night out on Friday (that ended with one spending the night - which was fun to have a girl's pajama evening - while D slept on the pull out sofa!), a n 80's themed bachelorette party on Saturday night, and a family Easter Busch Garden's trip today!

I feel energized and ready to get back to work.  I will leave you all with some pictures from the week!

My container plants have really grown a ton since I planted them a couple weeks ago.  I'm excited that this may actually work!






D and R watching a 3D movie the other day....Journey to the Center of the Earth

bachelorette party!!



soaking wet after a water ride at Busch Gardens











2 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures! And sometimes eating out is more about the company than the food anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I realized after I posted that it's way more than normal!

    ReplyDelete