About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, March 7, 2011

Brick By Brick

FOOD

Today was a mixed bag on the food front.  It's not that I ate badly, I just didn't do any cooking (for myself), so it didn't feel like my food was as healthy as it could be.

I was in a rush this morning, so after my coffee I had some lentil soup.  Before you get all excited that they were leftovers.  They weren't.  Amen for Progresso when I don't have time.  I had the 99% fat free lentil soup, which is decent enough and will do in a pinch.  I didn't even have time for fresh juice this morning (sad).

Due to a bad morning and the fact that I can't drink mid-day, I treated myself to some Thai food for lunch between meetings.  Just me, my Kindle, and some tofu green curry.  Yum! 

Dinner had to be light and easy before my workout.  I tried something new.  Nothing stellar on the culinary scale by any means.  Toasted rye bread with vegan mayo and vegan cheese.  Basically and old favorite of mine - toasty cheese sandwich.  It was tasty, but I wouldn't necessarily go with that as a pre-workout standard.

FITNESS

This was actually the highlight of my day.  Monday's are spin days, and we now do our spin classes on our trainers at Fat Frogs.  I was all excited because I finally have a trainer!  I got there a couple minutes early, and much of the class was already set up.  A (nice kid who works up at the shop) helped me get set up and made sure everything was properly aligned.  The trainers are actually freakishly easy to use.  That does NOT mean they make your workouts easy.  Quite the contrary!  In case you're even a little curious here's the link my trainer.  It's nice, good for beginners, and I got a discount, so I can't complain!

W put us through our paces with a solid 30 minute ride from hell.  We were pretty consistently at a high pace, and not much rest for the wicked.  We also immediately did a run.  So ta-da!!!!!  MY FIRST BRICK WORKOUT.  The last time I tried running right after biking, I thought I was going to fall down.  This time, it actually felt great.  W is screaming at us to get out of the shop and on the road (I think he was mimicking the race day transitions needing to be fast).  Maybe he just likes to yell, which is entirely possible.

We ran a 2.5 mile loop, and it was a nice run.  The temps were in the 50's, but after having just sweat a ton, it didn't feel cold.  Surprisingly, my legs actually worked.  The last time I tried doing this, I nearly fell over, so this is a bonus.  I biked, I ran, and I didn't fall!  And while I'm still dead last, I felt great the entire time.  2 of the girls actually came back out to look for me as I was just getting back.  It was a sweet gesture, and I love how everyone really tries to look out for one another.

Tomorrow is a run day, but we'll see since I had an unanticipated run day today.  I shouldn't count it and still go, or at the very least, do something.  Maybe I'll do yoga or swim or strength train.  Or, I could stop avoiding it, and just run.

LIFE

Life was a bit crazy today.  Do you ever have one of those moments that just totally throw you off your groove for the rest of the day?  That happened to me today.  I went to my first meeting this morning.  It's an hour and a half work group, so I'm all set up, I have my tablet, my notebook, and my phone all ready to go.  I decided to follow the heard (big mistake) and grab a cup of coffee.  Now mind you - I had already had my cup of the day and certainly didn't need anymore - but that didn't stop me even a little bit.

I drank a sip or two of the coffee, and decided that nope....I really didn't want it.  As soon as the meeting was over, I started grabbing my stuff to pack up.  At one point, I was balancing way too many things, and ended up dumping my now cold, but full cup of coffee all down my pants and part of my shirt.  I had to go home, change, and then get the other clothes to the dry cleaners.  Hence the Thai food mid-day.  That gave me just enough time to take 2 of my meetings on my cell, and then hit the restaurant.  It was exactly the mid-day destress I needed.  I read more of my new book, which I'm very much enjoying, eating good food, and not being bothered by anyone for the most part. 

After that, I went to my last meeting of the day which is always one of my favorites. It's with one of our hospital administrators and she and I get along very well, so I love having my meetings with her. Then that was it for the day.  Headed home to get some critical things done, whip up dinner for the hubs and munchkins, and then ran out the door to workout like a crazy girl.

I have an early morning meeting the next two days, which is going to suck.  At least tomorrow's meetings don't end too terribly late, so I'll still be back home at a reasonable time.

Oh, and today is my sister in law's birthday.  Happy B Day Bridge!!!  I miss you.

2 comments:

  1. Your training seems to be going great! Don't you love the trainer? Gets me through the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job with the brick workout. And I love that Progresso actually has vegan and vegetarian soup options. Now if they could just lower that sodium... But they're great in a pinch no doubt! I usually try to keep a couple of cans on hand.

    ReplyDelete