About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Bras Aren't Pockets

FOOD

Sunday was pretty much a cereal day.  At least for two of my meals it was!  Breakfast was some cereal, vanilla soymilk, and half a banana.  And a cup of coffee of course.  I was in a hurry to get out of the house and just didn't feel like preparing anything.

Around lunch time I made some tofu eggless salad that was really good.  I toasted a couple slices of a gluten free bread I picked up at Trader Joe's and made open faced sandwhiches (I get more eggless salad that way!).  That was my pre-workout meal.  I can't really guage it's effectiveness since I didn't eat close enough to the workout though.


basic recipe with veganaise, dry mustard, onion, sweet pickle relish, salt, and pepper.  Can't really go wrong!
lunch.  the bread slices are really tiny!

For dinner I was really hungry.  I ate the rest of the "pineapple stir fry" from Saturday, but was still hungry.  Hence my second bowl of cereal for the day (sans banana).

This morning I made tofu eggless salad cups for breakfast and sprinkled them with sprouted lentils for some crunch.  I think it was a better use of my calories, and just as filling as when I used the bread. 



Lunch was a macaroni and "un" cheese recipe I found as a link on one of the blogs I follow regularly.  The sauce is made with butternut squash, I skipped the bread crumbs, and I used brown rice noodles.  It was good (though needed salt) and very filling. 


I doubled the recipe so I'd have plenty for leftovers this week
I'm sorry...but doesn't it just look awesome????  Who needs cheese?!

I've been going a little crazy with my spiralizer today.  I spiralized carrots, zucchini, and apple!  I tossed all that with some cabbage and pumpkin seeds, and a dressing of veganaise, stevia, dijon mustard, and apple cider vinegar (would have added horseradish if I had any) based off of Love, Veggies, and Yoga's recipe.  Averie has many posts where she uses this versatile sauce and adds different things to it.  Very yummy, and it'll definitely be a staple!!  After letting it marinate most of the afternoon, I put a dollop on top of some baby spinach leaves, and that was dinner.  Really, really good. 


vegan slaw dressing.  It made quite a bit, so I'll have plenty over the next week or so
my salad with my spiralized fruit and veggies!

Oh, and I ate a clif bar before the bike ride tonight.  I was in a hurry, hungry, and it's always done well for me before a workout.

FITNESS

Yesterday was a practice brick on the Smithfield course.  We all met up at the bike shop at 315pm and caravaned the hour drive to Smithfield.  It was a lot harder (and shorter) than I thought it would be.  First the harder part.  Hills.  Nothing like the hills in WI (which I haven't biked in a LONG time), but still way more than we have where I live in VA.   I was constantly afraid of falling because it was my first ride clipped into my pedals, but I didn't, so that's good!  It was tough, but I got through.  I also thought it was 14 miles for some reason, but it's only 10.  Good thing too.

The run was really hard after.  Unlike last week where running right after biking felt great - yesterday it didn't.  My legs were rubber and I never hit a stride, which scares me.  I also fell (looking ahead of me instead of down at the big pile of branches and the ditch), and twisted my ankle a bit.  Felt more foolish than anything else.  So I didn't fall while clipped into my bike going up hills - but I fell while running on a pretty flat surface.  Yeah....I got the irony of that one too.

The good news is that it was a beautiful day.  Upper 60's, sunny, but more windy than I'd like.  Well, honestly I'd have loved NO wind, but that's sort of impossible.  Anyway, I wore a sports bra, tank top, and tri shorts.  I'm all proud of myself that I looked athlete-ish, when I realized....I have no pockets.  And no little bags on my bike.  So what's a girl to do with her keys, and Gu, and piece of paper that explains the routes???  Stick it in her bra, that's what.  I'm sure it was hilarious as I was trying to find my key so I could stick my bike in the back of the van and grab my running shoes, or when I was hunting for the Gu at the end of the bike ride and before the run.  Everyone had a chuckle out of it and showed me their tiny little bags to store stuff like that.  It's a darned good thing that my bras are pretty industrial strength..or I'd have been in trouble.  My hubby is awesome though...on the way home from work today, he stopped at Fat Frogs and bought me a little bag!

Tonight was our Tri club ride night.  So far, all of our rides have been either in a spin room or on trainers at the shop.  Tonight, though, was our first outdoor ride!  We were originally going to do a shop ride on the trainers, but after seeing our performance on the course last night, W wanted us to ride outside.  I can tell you that I most definitely needed that myself.  We all met up around 615pm and took off about 15 or so minutes later.  K and I stayed together since we're pretty much at the same pace, and W rode most of the way with us too.  Much of my group are really great at this, and many have been doing it a long time.  They're always encouraging of us newby back of the packers though, which does wonders when you're only halfway through into a head wind and feel like giving up.

We went 13 miles total.  W would have liked us to do more, but we ran out of light.  Most of us finished just as the sun was setting and it was getting dark (for those who remember this growing up - street lights were on, so I should have been home!).  A few of us were hanging out where we had parked and were talking, when we realized two of our club members weren't back yet.  It was WAY after full dark, and we were getting a bit worried.  They showed up about 10 minutes later laughing they had gotten lost.  Good thing B had a phone and used her GPS to find her their way back. 

Oh, and I used my new little bag to store my ID and my car key!!!  In the future..going to put my phone in it too.

Tomorrow we have a club clinic where W will walk us through the process of transitions during the race.  Like - where do I put my stuff between the different legs of the race?  What are the rules (like if you don't have your helmet on when you leave the transition area, you get disqualified - important things like that).  I'm looking forward to it.

LIFE

The past couple of days have been mostly peaceful.  Well, except for today!  I didn't sleep last night (D's fault...he kept snoring and waking me up).  One of the kids was running a fever last night and stayed home today - so I did as well.  I'm fortunate to often have the option of conference calls and webex's most of the time if I need to, and today was one of those days.  Between 4 meetings and scrambling around making sure my daughter was okay and cooking, it was busy and I didn't get out of my jammies until after 5pm.

Saturday and Sunday were both beautiful, and my dog spent most of it outside sunning herself.  I'm getting worried about her.  I'm not handling her aging well.  I've noticed in the past two months that she's not hearing as well (a car would drive by, and she'd bark her head off....now, she rarely notices unless someone rings the bell).  She'd always know when I was coming home and be at the window as my car drove up.  Not anymore.  She isn't usually aware I'm home until I open the door.  Her eyes are a little cloudy, and she moves a little slower.  She's still a puppy at heart, but as a Yellow Lab almost 9, I know she's getting up there.  I just don't like it.


Sammie on the back deck.  I'd have opened the screen, but I didn't want her to move and ruin my shot!

R was playing with Playdoh this weekend.  The rules are she has to play in the kitchen and pick up after herself.  She decided to make a play doh version of me.  Very close likeness, if I do say so myself.


my play doh clone
without any promting, she grabbed the broom and started sweeping when she was done.  This was before she noticed I was watching...
...and after.  She's a total ham...
This weekend is the Shamrock marathon weekend in Virginia Beach.  It's the first year I haven't done it since 2005 (the year after we moved here) and I'm kind of sad about that.  I'm still going to the Expo (I LOVE expos) and I'm planning to go down and cheer people on.  The crowds make the race, so if I'm not running it, I want to be cheering people on.  I know a bunch of people doing the half and a couple doing the full, so the least I can do is go down, drink some green beer, and root people on.  I know what it's like to be dragging and have some random stranger in the crowd say something that makes me pick it up a bit.  It'll be nice to be that someone for someone else for once.

2 comments:

  1. Kind of funny, I just posted about making my first vegan mac n' cheese tonight. Must check out this recipe. Ouch on the fall. Hope the ankle is ok. I used to not understand the full importance of pickets until I started running over 7 miles and needed to carry "snacks" for refueling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine any brand of athletic wear that doesn't think pockets are a good idea! I'm always on the lookout for a good vegan mac n cheese. That was a huge weakness food for me in the past. The first one I ever made was the Mac Daddy in Veganomicon.

    ReplyDelete