About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Must Start Doing Crunches...

FOOD

I have had some opportunities lately to share what I've learned (the hard way) about nutrition, and it's been fun.  It's strange being asked advice about nutritional content of food and what constitutes balanced and healthy meals and good substitutions for old favorites (like brown rice pasta instead of white stuff).  I have a passion for food that goes well beyond just the cooking and eating parts (though those are awesome).  I read about it constantly, and almost everything I eat is measured, calculated, and balanced.  Don't get me wrong...I love onion rings and beer and popcorn.  But I know that it's a rare treat and not a daily thing.  Food can be medication to the body - or poison.  It's up to us to choose which.

My friend S has been telling me for years that I need to start a new career as a nutritionist.  That would actually be pretty cool someday as a later in life career.  Until then, I'll be happy to be the go-to girl for the people I know who want to know more about the power of healthy food and good eating.

I had to be out the door really early today, so I had the same breakfast as I did yesterday; a cup of black coffee, Crispix cereal, vanilla soy milk, and a banana.  Quick, simple, tasty, and filling.  Can't really beat that.

I didn't pack a morning snack.  I was going to bring an apple and my cool purple knife, but at the time I would have been eating aforementioned snack, I would have been in a VP workgoup, and would have felt slightly silly whipping out a blade.  I wouldn't want to eat the apple and have a core turning fun shades of brown on the table either.  So I consciously skipped it.  Boy, did my body NOT like that.  She's used to eating every 3-4 hrs and protests when she doesn't. 

My meeting ended about a half hour early, so D and I met up for a quick lunch before our afternoon meetings started.  I had a veggie wrap full of mushrooms, bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes.  It was really tasty, and also filling. 

My afternoon snack was a banana.  Not very inspired sometimes, but it's quick and easy and portable, which is always a bonus.

Dinner was Moe's.  I haven't been to Moe's in MONTHS (I quite possibly went a wee overboard this past summer - I craved those salads during my marathon training - but post-Chicago, I think I felt I had OD'd on them).  D had to get to bed by 8pm tonight, and that meant no time to cook a full meal that we could all eat and wouldn't be too much food, too close to bed.  I had my favorite salad - the Personal Trainer with romaine lettuce, black beans, tofu, onion, jalapeno, salsa, cilantro, extra hot sauce, and guacamole. 

FITNESS

I had my appointment this afternoon to get my bike fitted up at Fat Frogs with my coach.  I'm glad I had time to change out of my work clothes first.  I didn't expect to spend a half hour pedaling while he measured and tweaked!  Bonus Workout!!

I can't believe everything that went into making the bike fit me just right.  He was changing parts on the bike, moving seats, handle bars, and all the while teaching me things I didn't know.  All told, it took just about an hour, and now I'm more likely to ride right and not strain anything (well, anything inappropriate.  I imagine I'm going to strain a LOT, but that's sort of the point, isn't it??).  I'm excited to take it out for a long ride after D gets back.


W working some kind of magic on my bike

While up at Fat Frogs, I also tried on the Tri suits to figure out my size so W can order our team suits.  Holy cow.  Those things leave NOTHING to the imagination!  Hence my need to do crunches!  We have the individual option of a one piece or a two piece.  I went with two, and then started wondering how the heck a woman wears a running bra while swimming.  The shirts are skin tight, but certainly not "supportive".  So I asked.  Turns out, there's another piece of clothing I need to get!  I'm sure that will be another entry all in itself in the coming weeks.

After my fitting, I came home, snarfed my banana, did some emails, and then headed out for a 3 mile run.  It was a beautiful day today (48 and sunny), and it felt very good.  My legs are sore from yesterday's workout, but they're apparently not the same muscles I use while running, so I barely noticed.  I was happy to get it done early so I could spend the evening with D before his trip tomorrow.

Tomorrow we have another timed 5K as a check point 6 weeks into our training.  I can't believe it's been that long already.  Here's hoping I'm at least a little bit faster!

LIFE

I was stood up this morning and a bit annoyed at first about it.  I was really more annoyed because it was an early meeting I hiked to, and I hate those.  I left home at 630am to be sure I was downtown in time to get into the parking garage and make it to the conference room on time.  I was.  Yeah me!  One other person came.  Yeah him!  The other director and the VP didn't.  The director was apparently sick.  I can certainly sympathize with being sick - I was flattened myself in early January - but at least be sure the meeting gets canceled on every one's calendars.  Send an email or send a page.  The two of us who did show up are the two who don't actually work at that facility.  The other person and I took that time to meet between ourselves and get some things hammered out.  It was a nice hour and a half, but one that wasn't necessary to have so bloody early.  Ugh.  It doesn't help that this is related to what was eating at me yesterday.  Okay, enough whining.  It doesn't do anyone any good, especially me (or those who are forced to listen to me).

I have a lot going on at work, to the point I'm starting to feel overwhelmed.  I feel like I have a million deadlines, crisis keep popping up, my customers keep throwing anything with a plug my way (oh, if you don't know, I'm in IT and sometimes my customers think that if it has electricity, it's somehow mine to fix) and I have been spending most of my time fighting fires than getting my real work done.  I don't have enough staff (though that may change very soon I hope), and my team is too new to know what I can and can't delegate off to them until we're more solid.  I can't overload them to the point they feel as swamped as I do.  Okay, here I am whining again.  Deep breath.

Tomorrow D leaves for his trip to San Fransisco to see his brother.  It's my bday present to him (his bday is Sunday).  He'll be gone for 5 days, and I'm very excited for him. 

It's going to be a bit hectic here, and part of me is concerned about that.  I have a 7am meeting tomorrow morning, and try as I might, I can't get out of it.  I have to give a presentation and do introductions of my new team (speaking of...I must WRITE that presentation yet tonight).  My problem??  We don't have morning daycare.  It's always worked out great.  D dropped R off at school at 730am, and the older two take the bus.  They're also old enough to get up to an alarm, get themselves ready, and get to their buses without any interference from us.  Unfortunately, that's all hosed tomorrow.  I have to keep A and R home from school in the morning, and for the first time, A (who is a horrid morning person) has to get R ready for school.  I'll have her lunch made and clothes set out, but R is pretty poky and A has a short fuse.  Should be pretty chaotic.  So after my 7am meeting ends around 8ish, I have to hike it back home and take the girls into their schools late.  A won't be too late, but R will.  D has always handled this when I have stupid-early meetings.  Alas...he'll be on a plane. 

Every evening this week will be nutty too.  A doesn't get home from school until after 615ish.  I have to pick her up, get her home, and Wed and Fri, make it to the Y by 630 for my Tri club workouts.  Especially since both are timed, I'm really worried about any possibility of missing those.  M also has drama club rehearsals until 6 all week, but thankfully he usually has a ride from a friends' mom.  Oh, and Thursday are two things.  R has gymnastics AND the Tri club is having a clinic/social.  If I figure out cloning before then, I'll get to do both.  If I had the ability to ask friends for help, I'd actually do both.  I'll work on that (especially since S already offered to help pick kids up and stuff.  I just hate interrupting other people's lives).  Oh yeah.  And I have to feed them too.  Whine, whine, whine.

So there.  Life is crazy and chaotic and overwhelming right now.  I just want to call in sick the rest of the week, but know that I can't.  It's weeks like this, that I realize I have to be part super hero in order to get through it.

2 comments:

  1. I can't remember the last time I went to Moe's. I always like it when I go. Funny how you can forget stuff like that ;-) Girl, whine away, sounds insanely hectic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Triathlon is expensive, huh? Always one more piece / part to buy or rent! LOL And yeah, those wetsuits are brutal. You're going to want to spend some time practicing taking it on and off. It's heart-breaking after a triathlon to see how much time was spent/wasted in the transition area trying to get out of gear! Geesh!

    ReplyDelete