About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, February 13, 2011

In the Raw, Baby!!

FOOD

Today was my raw experiment, and I'm happy to say it was a successful one!  I will be honest on the one thing I wasn't prepared for - no coffee.  It's good thing I don't typically drink much caffeine, so it wasn't too big a deal, but I missed having that hot cup in the morning.  I did start off with a room temp mug of lemon water.  Not the same by any means, but still tasty.

I found I wanted to eat or drink something pretty much every 2 hrs or so for the majority of the day.  I'm thinking that may be normal, but I'm not sure.  It eased up around 5pm or so.  And boy oh boy, and I HYDRATED.  I always drink plenty of water - typically a gallon or so a day - but with that plus all the juices and fruits and veggies - I think I'm peeing all the time!

I soaked a 1/2 cup of buckwheat overnight, and blended that with a little water, half a banana, a (skinned) apple, and a bit of agave nectar and tons of cinnamon.  It was really tasty, and even better than yesterday's version.  Raw or not, it's a keeper. 

A couple hours later, I made a sauce/dressing in my Vitamix that I can see as a salad dressing  or - in the case of what I did with it today - as a coleslaw dressing.  I will be honest - I found the basis for this recipe online, but I can't recall where or I'd link it.  I've done so much reading on raw food this last week, it's a blur.  I wrote this down on the back of an envelope a few days ago - along with a bunch of others (reuse garbage paper!) - so I can't remember where I found it.  If I do - I'll give the proper credit, because this was SO not born of my imagination. 

1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup water
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp Bragg's Amino Acid (or Tamari - if you use regular soy sauce, it won't be raw...but still good)
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp dill

good use of the mason jars my parents gave me!


I had a bag of coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots) and decided to save half of the dressing and pour the rest over the mix and see what happens.

While making that, I was getting a batch of kale chips ready for the dehydrator (to keep it a "raw" food, need to use the dehydrator vs. the oven due to the heat/cooking an oven would do).  I put a bunch of chopped kale into a bowl, and put in olive oil (cold pressed), sea salt, minced fresh garlic, and cumin.  After it marinated for 20 minutes or so, I layered it into the dehydrator.  I knew it had 7-8 hrs before they were crisp, which made them ready at 630pm, and my new "popcorn" for evening TV/movie watching!


my cheap-o dehydrator.  Does the job though!

Not long after, I munched on some cherry tomatoes and bell peppers as a snack.  A few hours after that, I made a fresh juice of apple, orange, carrot, celery, and spinach.  I was surprised at how tangy and yummy it was.  And it nicely took the edge off my hunger.

For lunch, I made "tacos".  I took romaine lettuce leaves, stuffed them with the coleslaw, sliced onions, and cherry tomatoes.  If I had thought of it, I'd have added avocado too.  They were REALLY tasty and filling.  This is going to be a regular addition to my menu.  I can see playing with it (chopped peppers, cilantro, etc).



I had to go to one of our local malls today, and they have a store called Smoothie Mania.  They make not only smoothies, but fresh juices as well.  I was feeling a bit hungry, so I ordered an apple-carrot-lemon-ginger juice.  The girl seemed annoyed that she'd have to use the juicer rather than a blender, but oh well.  My $3.15 for a large juice (half price Sunday's) was the same regardless.  It took her a bit, but was worth the wait.  It definitely hit the spot!

After getting home and starting dinner for the kids, A and I ate all the kale chips.  I'm sort of sad there are none left.  I'm going to start another batch to work on all night in the dehydrator.  A wants to take some to school tomorrow and force-feed her friends.  M is afraid of them.  Green crunchy things will do that to a 13 year old boy.

I haven't made dinner yet, but am planning on a tomato blended sauce and some veggie "noodles" marinated in olive oil.  When I get hungry, that sounds awesome.

So the raw verdict?  I like it.  I'm pretty sure I can't do it 100% of the time.  I like my coffee, my glass of wine, and a nice hot bowl of soup too much.  But I will say that I'm intrigued, and I definitely think raw meals have a good and solid place in my life.

FITNESS

I wasn't feeling a full blown workout today, so I did a 20 minute yoga sequence in the early evening.  It felt good, and I felt more centered than I had in a long time.  To be frank, it was also the first yoga I've done in a long time that wasn't for fitness.  I typically do hot yoga, which kicks butt as much as running 5 miles does.  This was meant to be gentle and relaxing and it was.

LIFE

R slept in my room last night.  She wanted to the entire time D was gone, but I only let her last night.  We watched one of the Redbox movies and then went to sleep.  

I woke up around 7am (thanks Sammie).  I had a quiet morning reading until the kids started waking up.

I honestly didn't do too much today, which was nice.  The house was clean so I was able to relax, and aside from prepping my meals and cleaning up in the kitchen, I spent most of my day reading - either my new raw foods book, online blogs and recipe sites, or catching up on magazines.  It's been a really, really nice Sunday.

M went to the movies with some friends, and I was the ride home.  I went a little early to walk around the mall a bit, and then took his friend home (not sure why I didn't take the other friend home, but apparently he had other arrangements).

Now I'm watching a movie with the kids and getting ready to watch the Grammy's.  D's on his way home, which makes us all happy, and I'm looking forward to seeing him.  Until then, I hope to get to bed early and have a great night's sleep.  I certainly think my day today has been conducive to that!

3 comments:

  1. That dressing sounds great. I've actually never used or tried Bragg's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a good day of raw eats! I won't go 100% raw either, but I definitely am enjoying my higher raw diet. I find the food incredibly filling and I love the variety. I love your dressing.

    Heather, I can't believe you haven't used Bragg's?! It's a staple for me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked Bragg's up a couple months ago on a whim when walking through a health food store. I always hear about it! It may be me, but I'm not sure I taste a big difference bewteen it and soy sauce.

    JL - I felt so good and slept so well. I had a moment or two at the mall where I thought something smelled good, but other than that, I was surprised that I didn't crave anything bad for me!

    ReplyDelete