About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Cabbage is Cool

FOOD

So I know I can't possibly cover all of the food I've eaten in the nearly two weeks since my last post (which I am REALLY sorry, by the way....life has been sucking every last drop of energy from me, and I've barely had time to sleep, much less anything else!).

However, here are some of the highlights!

I made a chipotle tofu and roasted potato taco dish last weekend.  I ate one on a corn tortilla and one on a romaine lettuce shell.  Nicely spicy and tasty, with lots of cabbage on it!



D and I went out to a local restaurant, and I have a vegan fake chick'n panini with mango and spinach.  I was sad their only vegan bread was sourdough (I would have preferred the whole grain, but it had honey), but it was still very yummy.



I made pudding out of chia seeds!  Yes...remember the chia pet?  Who knew it did more than grow wool on a clay lamb?!  It was crazy, but REALLY good.  And chocolate, which was awesome.  I used chia seeds, chocolate powder, agave nectar, and vanilla soy milk.  20 minutes later after soaking it all up, creamy and yummy PUDDING!



I had to go to the DC area for work, and stopped at a really yummy place called Java Green.  It was a deli type place, but with all vegan, vegetarian, raw, and organic foods.  I had bimbimap (I think - I can't find it on the menu!).  It was all veggies with a spicy siracha-type sauce on it over some green tea rice.  Very yummy!



I made some 4 bean vegan chili in the pressure cooker last week - something I've only made in the crock pot before.  Lentils, black beans, pinto beans, and navy beans.  I've finally gotten D and the kids to eat the meat free dish by serving it with tortilla chips to dip into.  Whatever.  Works for me, and they eat it.  I've had that as leftovers a few times, including today for breakfast!

Lunch was popcorn.  Not great, I know, but I went to the office right after the gym (LOTS to catch up on), and that was all I had in my desk drawer.  Dinner is cooking now - a brown rice, tomato, and veggie dish in the rice cooker.  I plan to put some sliced avocado and cabbage on it.

So cabbage.  Probably the most underrated food ever.  I love all the cabbage family.  Brussel sprouts - awesome.  Cauliflower - heck yeah.  It's crunchy, lettuce-ish (so it's awesome on tacos and sandwiches and the like - not to mention cole slaw!), cheap as can be, and stays fresh for a really long time.  For the past two weeks, I swear I've been putting it on almost everything.  And that's just when it's raw!  I love it steamed, sauteed, or put into a crock dish. 

FITNESS

First real injury.  Yep.  I fell down the stairs like a doofus and hurt my ankle and back.  Ankle not too badly I think, but the back really sucks.  I finally started feeling better last Thursday, so today was my first workout since I fell.

What did I do?  SWIM!  Yeah, I've missed the pool.  I didn't want to over do it, so I did a 30 minute constant swim.  I lost track of the number of laps I did (I usually do unless I'm making a point to remember).  I did a few drills in the middle with either the pull buoy or a kick board.  I took it easy, and after I was warmed up, I felt like I could go on forever.  I didn't though.  Even though it's a non-impact sport, I know that it can still aggravate an injury.  Besides, my training calendar had today being a 30 minute swim anyway, so it all worked out for the best!

LIFE

Wow, what can I say?  Busy busy busy.  Even worse than normal!  Let's see...how to summarize without writing a novel that would bore you all to tears?

My son M had a school play.  He's been in drama since the beginning of the school year, and it's his first time in it.  When he auditioned, he told us that he had a pretty big role, but each day he'd get home (he had practice 4 days a week) and tell us how great everyone was, there's singing and dancing and some really great people.  What he failed to mention (which is typical for my mild mannered little man) was that he had the lead role.  And he was amazing!  Not just a proud mama either - he had the loudest and most vibrant applause at the end (which you could tell shocked him when it happened), he was singing, dancing, and hilarious!

Basically, he played an older Italian immigrant who had come to the US with his young wife in search of the American Dream.  They bought a small piece of land in California and build a beach front restaurant.  His wife is gone, and he runs the place with his daughter and granddaughters.  A couple snaky investors are trying to buy his land to build a resort, he won't sell, and all kinds of antics break loose.  It was a lot of fun, and now we're looking into local theater groups because he wants to keep acting.  It didn't help that I had people tell me that with the hat, his crazy thick curly hair, and the mustache (that was drawn on), he looked like Johnny Depp.  Joy.

me and D after the show


One of my great friend's had a beach birthday celebration, and 8 of us had a great time!  I'm not posting those pictures though :)

I had to go up to the Washington DC area for work.  I did get to steal away at a great veggie place and to walk around a couple art museums while there.  It was nice, but cold!

All hell broke out at work.  Without going into any boring details of servers and bandwidth and latency problems....not to mentions budgets, and evals, and blah blah blah.....I've been working 15+ hour days.  I'm either in the office late, or working in the home office.  Today I went in to try and get some focused time.  I managed to get below 100 unread emails (I real feat!), so now I only have about 800 total to deal with.  I'm really hoping nothing overly important is in there that I've ignored since Dec!

D has been working really long hours.  He had 4 go-lives this past week (he's in IT too) and involved a lot of travel.

R is coming down with something.  She started running a fever last night, and I have a feeling will have to stay home tomorrow.  D will have to do it this time, because I can't.

Oh, and we have a gas line problem that's affected my hot water (I have none - dishes, showers, can't do them), my oven (I can't use), heater, and my dryer (can't use that either).  The soonest the repair person can come out is Tuesday afternoon!  Thank goodness for a Y membership for showers!  It's been a pain in the butt.  Fortunately, we're having unseasonably warm weather, so it's not too freezing in the unheated house.

Okay, I'm going to go eat my rice cooker meal in my disposable bowl and plastic spoon (to which I feel guilty - but 4 days of no dishes in a family of 5 is NOT happening), take some Tylenol for my sore back, and read.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, good to see you! I'm so sorry about your fall! A true athlete, you turn to the pool! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've missed blogging more than I thought I would. The pool seemed the least dangerous...

    ReplyDelete