About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, January 9, 2011

Full Contact Swimming

FOOD

For Christmas, my husband bought me pasta Kitchen Aid attachments, and they arrived today (they had been on back order before the holidays).  I'm thinking it's his way of saying I should now be the good Italian's wife and start making homemade pasta!  I'm totally kidding; he knows I love to cook, and was imagining the variations I could make, and how that could totally enhance my vegan cooking.  I'm sure he wouldn't complain with me making him some though :)

I bought a book on homemade pasta with a ton of recipes - like Afghanistan Curry Pasta, and Apple Cinnamon Pasta.  How cool does THAT sound?!?!  Well...I wouldn't know.  My three attempts at pasta dough making today ended in utter failure - and at one point, even ended up with flour all over me! 

The dough is tricky.  It can't be even remotely sticky, but too tough, and it will fall apart.  The first recipe from the book I tried making in my Kitchen Aid.  I don't think there were enough ingredients, and it didn't work.  Then I put those ingredients into my bread machine, thinking that would work.  Nope.  So I used a recipe from the Kitchen Aid instruction book that came with the attachments...and that turned into a crumbly brick.  I tried one more time using my Vitamix.  It wasn't pulsing into a dough, so I put the tamper in it...not thinking that my dough mixer is smaller, so my tamper got chopped up and flour was spewed all over my kitchen and me.  After that, I gave up for the day and started knitting.  I am not giving up completely - I really want to actually USE my attachments.  But I apparently have to do more research first.

I didn't do much cooking this weekend.  Saturday was a crazy day, so breakfast was a small multi-grain bagel and a banana.  Lunch was Thai food while I was in Norfolk, of some steamed spring rolls and tofu green curry.  I skipped the white rice it came with, and just filled up on the tofu and veggies.  Of course the sauce is a coconut milk curry sauce - not exactly healthy, but that's okay once in awhile!  And we all know how much I love my curry...

Saturday evening was a post-holiday party at my friends house, so I had some wine and olives!  Dinner was a bean burrito with salsa. 

FITNESS

I HAVE A BIKE!!!!!  I am SO excited!  I bought a use road bike today, so I'm all set for my triathlon adventure.  I'll need to get new pedals, a cushy girly seat, and possibly some aero bars, but otherwise I'm all set, and am extremely happy.  The only thing that's upsetting is that it's way too cold out to bike.  I rode around for 10 minutes today and thought I was going to freeze to death. 

Once I got my bike, I went to the gym to swim.  After Friday's experience, I know that I need to get into the pool 3-4 days per week to get my endurance up.  I went online to find a beginners swimming workout, printed it out, stuck it in a baggie (so I could have it by the pool and not ruin it), and hit the pool.  I did the 400yd endurance swim, which actually only took me 11 minutes.  It was tough, but not impossible, and that gives me hope that I have something to build on. 

I shared a swim lane with an older gentleman (after asking him), and we decided to each stay in a specific side of the lane rather than circle swim.  Cool, I'm slow and he seemed much faster than me.  On my second lap, he strayed from his lane...enough to completely punch me in the head.  I was a bit stunned, and got a brief "sorry" and he kept going.  I was annoyed.  On a later lap, he again strayed from my lane...and slapped me across the face.  I got VERY annoyed.  I was almost done, so let it go.  Not like I had a choice really.  I wasn't going to start a ruckus in the pool.  I was too winded as it was.

I sat in the hot tub, and debated going back into the pool to do it again (I mean really...an 11 minute workout...I felt guilty I didn't work hard enough!).  But...as I sat in the hot tub, I remembered some wise words I read when I first started running.  Do NOT try to do too much, too soon.  All you'll end up doing is burning out and giving up, so I stayed in the hot tub, took a shower, and went home. 

While at the gym tonight, I saw 5 other people from my Y-Tri training team who apparently had the same thoughts I did.  We chatted for a bit about our need to swim more, and I thought it was really neat to see them all there.

Tomorrow is our group spin class, and I'm thinking after I may do that 400 yd swim workout again.  It's only 11 extra minutes!

LIFE

After my marathon was over in October, my duration and intensity of working out definitely took a downward spiral.  I wasn't very motivated to do much but the bare minimum, and that's pretty much exactly what I did.  Of course, my eating habits didn't change or adjust to the lessened activity...and the expected happened.  I put on a few pounds.  Not good, and I was - to be honest - feeling a bit out of control and unmotivated.

It was right around then that Weight Watcher's announced that they had a new program.  I decided to go check it out the day before I left for my trip to FL.  I went on a Saturday morning, was pretty impressed by what I saw, and decided to give it a try.  So now it's out there in the open, and that's okay.

For the past 4 weeks, I've been sticking to the program, which is actually really, really easy to do.  And even through the holiday's and the traveling, I lost 6 lbs, woo hoo!

So Saturday was incredibly busy.  I had to a WW meeting at 830 am, and unfortunately for me, I had a bought of insomnia on Friday night.  I didn't fall asleep until after midnight, slept fitfully, and woke up at 4am.  I read, played with Sammie, and pretty much felt exhausted.  I woke D up right before I left at 810ish, and was mostly gone the rest of the day. 

My Intro to Knitting class was from 1030-1230, and that was fun.  There were 7 of us, and I would guess that 4 were in their 20's, 3 of us in our 30's, and one around 50.  Just goes to show that knitting isn't just for Grandma's!  Our instructor was a 75ish year old woman, who was just a hoot, and we all had a good time.  By the end of the class, I was making patterns of small squares with my knit 4/purl 4!

I went home right after that, changed into nicer clothes, and left 20 minutes later with A in tow.  She had signed up to volunteer at her art school for new student auditions.  I took her down, dropped her off, grabbed lunch (Thai food!), and then went to my friends house.  She and her husband were having a post-holiday party in the early part of the evening.  It was very nice, and I left at 7.  D had picked up A from her volunteer gig, as well as cart R to swimming earlier in the day.

I had gotten a text from D that he was ordering Chinese food (he's incapable of figuring out dinner options for the most part).  On the way home, I stopped and picked up a bean burrito, and was home by 8. 

I felt pretty spent by 8.  I'm still not completely over the cold, so I think between the lack of sleep and the all day running around, I had just run myself into the ground.  Of course, I always get that "over tired" thing going on, and it was again after midnight before I fell asleep.  I slept pretty fitfully again, but at least managed to stay mostly asleep until almost 7.  By 8 (after some coffee, sudafed, and advil), I was feeling pretty human.

My biggest accomplishment today was going grocery shopping.  We were out of pretty much everything, and I had been meaning to go for some time.  I didn't want to go, though, until I had a chance to go through my coupons.  I have a tendency to go to the grocery just about every day, pick up whatever I feel like it, and not really pay attention to sales, etc.  About a year or so ago, I learned about this website called The Grocery Game, where all you had to do was clip all the coupons you got, pick your grocery store, and it would tell you what to buy.  I did it for several months and saved hundreds and hundreds of dollars.  Then I'd forget to buy a Sunday paper, and my coupons would all expire, so I canceled my membership (it's not a free site) and went back to my regular ways.  And THEN, I learned about Coupon Mom, which does the same thing, but it's a FREE site - and has more options like adding Walgreen's, Walmart, and Target.  Of course I still kept forgetting to buy a Sunday paper, so fat lot of good that did me.  Today, however, we finally subscribed to the paper!  For $20, we will get the Wednesday and Sunday papers for the next 6 months.  Hopefully, this will mean I will be back on track to saving hundreds of dollars on grocery shopping - just by doing a wee bit of advanced planning.  I know it works - been there, done that.  Now I just really need to make it the rule rather than the exception.  Though I have to note that it's a bit sad that the only reason I want the paper is for the coupons. 

I'm hoping this will be a quiet week, but I'm not betting on it too much.  My youngest R started running a fever this evening, which means she will probably need to stay home for a few days.  I seriously hope she's not getting what I had.  The poor baby will be flattened for a week if that's the case.  As it is, I'll be staying with her tomorrow to keep an eye on her symptoms, and will be set to take her into the doctor at the first sign of infection.

So that was my weekend.  Here's hoping for a good week ahead!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have a bike! What kind did you get?! I ride a women's Giant and love it. What triathlon are you training for?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a 2007 women's giant OCR3. I'm so glad to hear that you love yours. The girl I bought it from said she really loved it, and is only selling it because her husband surprised her with a new bike. I'm training for 2, the Smithfield in March and Breezy Point in June. Both is my area of Virginia. I'm REALLY nervous, and excited too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How great, Crissie! Being nervous is part of the fun! Enjoy the whole training journey -- it's as much fun as the actual race!

    ReplyDelete