About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rusticle

I think it's a fun word to say.  Try it.  Out loud!  RUSTICLE.  I was reading an article last night about a newly discovered rust eating bacteria that is destroying the Titanic.  I had quite frankly, never heard the word rusticle before, and thought it was funny.  D looked at me like I was a moron for not knowing the word, but I couldn't stop giggling.  I thought I'd share the happiness inducing word with everyone else!

Yesterday was good, as far as Monday's go.  I had 3 meetings total, and they were all painless and via conf call anyway. 

Breakfast was a smoothie.  Lunch was a pineapple tofu dish on Japanese short grain rice.  Very tasty - especially when I added the crushed red pepper flakes to it.  It helped offset the sweetness of the dish very nicely.  The rest of the day, I drank a few glasses of a green smoothie (apple, orange, spinach).  I made a large pitcher of it, so I could refill at will.  It did shock my husband though....he opened the fridge last night (I wasn't home), and I end up getting a text from him with a picture of the pitcher and a "what the hell is that??".  It was pretty funny.

 My lunch of tofu, sweet potato, and pineapple with some red pepper flakes.  Very light and filling.













Green smoothie!  I LOVE my Vitamix.  It can make anything a wholesome juice, smoothie, soup, etc.  I used 4 cups of water, 2 peeled bananas, 3 peeled oranges, and a bunch of spinach (I'd guess 4-5 cups).  Turned it on for a minute, and YUM.  I know it probably looks weird for people not used to it, but you really don't taste the spinach at all.  As long as you stick to the 60% fruit, 40% veggie ratio, it doesn't get a leafy or bitter taste to it.  Quite amazing really, and I'm becoming a convert.  All that fresh produce energy feels great.  I went on a run in the late afternoon, and it was COLD.  I am very unprepared for the weather this year.  I had done a closet clean out a couple of weeks ago, and discarded most of my colder running wear (worn out, didn't fit, etc).  Now I have one pair of pants that actually reach to my ankles.  I can layer the tops okay, and I still have my hat and running gloves (though the gloves aren't warm enough).  I'm thinking I'll have to slowly pick up items and rebuild my running wardrobe.  I had done my big training most recently in the summer, and with VA being warmer than most places, I really underestimated my need for good cold-weather running gear.  

M got home from school after his drama club last night...and announced that he won a major lead role in the play!  He's very excited, and it's the role that he really wanted.  It's not only a speaking role...but a singing one too.  So I took him out to celebrate!  He picked Wild Wing Cafe, so the two of us went to dinner (A had a big project due at school the next day...that she hadn't started, so D stayed home with her to get that finished, and R was falling asleep in the van, so she stayed home too).  It was a lot of fun just hanging out with M.  He had way too many spicy chicken wings, and I had my Spicy Vegan (special menu item they created for me a few months back....it's a wrap full of veggies and hot sauce).  

We all went to bed pretty early, which was really nice.  I hadn't gotten much sleep the past several days, and I was very overdue for it.  I slept very well, and had a nice morning.  I was up early, made homemade waffles for breakfast for everyone else - a smoothie for me (banana, orange, and chocolate protein powder.  Very good).  I'm taking a big 24 ounce Tervis of green smoothie with me for my morning meetings too.  Considering it's 52 calories per cup - and I get ALL of my fruit and veggie servings - it's hard to beat.  I'm thinking I need to play around with different recipes too.  I've been some with kale, pineapples, mangoes, romaine lettuce, etc.  

Tonight I'm hoping to get a quick run in before going to a Better than Ezra concert with a friend of mine!  We both took the day off work tomorrow - I'm not exactly 19 anymore....

So off I go to the office for a fun filled day of meetings and smoothies!                                                                      

2 comments:

  1. Congrats to M on the role. That's great. I love that the wing place created a vegan item for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! He's really excited about it. I love a place that goes out of their way to cater to how I eat. It's not a typical vegan-friendly place, and since my family likes it there, as well as several of my friends, it was really thoughtful for them to add a menu item just for me.

    ReplyDelete