About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Party Like I Rock Star?? I Tried.

Yesterday was one of those days.  Those days where nothing seems to go right.  It all started out well (and ended well too for the most part).  I had a great night's sleep on Monday night, and felt great in the morning.  I made waffles for breakfast for D and the kids, and an awesome smoothie for me.  I took the rest of the green smoothie in a big cup to work to drink on all morning.  I got a lot of strange stares and questions about my glowing concoction, but that didn't bother me.  It's fun to explain what it is.  M wasn't feeling well (head ache, sore throat, and stomach ache - tho I suspect the stomach ache had more to do with 12 spicy chicken wings at dinner the night before).  Because M rarely gets sick, we decided to let him stay home.  My first meeting was at 930, so I stayed with him in the morning, and left about 9 to head to the hospital.  I hike it out there....only to discover that it was canceled!  Apparently some glitch in the scheduling software had the meeting come off some people's calendars, but not others.  Unfortunately, I'm the only one in the group that isn't located at that specific hospital daily, so it was annoying.  I guess it was a blessing in disguise because it allowed me the opportunity to come home and check on M.  It just would have been nice knowing I could've just stayed with him to begin with! 

After I left the hospital, I stopped at the grocery, picked up a few things for dinner and some SoBe life water's for M (he loves those), and came home for a bit.  I put dinner in the crock pot, made sure he was doing okay, and then left again.

D and I met for lunch at one of my very favorite restaurants - Geisha.  It's a Japanese steakhouse.  D gets the hibachi, and I always get vegetarian sushi.  I also had a bowl of miso soup and some edamame. 
I ate about half of the sushi before I couldn't take another bite.  The rolls on top are sweet potato, in the middle is avocado, and the lower set is broccoli. 

After work, I picked R up from daycare and headed home.  I made some tea, vacuumed the house, and finished up dinner (tacos and Spanish rice).  I wasn't hungry, so I didn't really eat anything other than a handful of pretzels.  That ended up being a huge mistake.

At 730, after the kids were all fed, D took me down to the Norva in downtown Norfolk for the Better Than Ezra concert.  He wasn't staying for the whole show, but did spend some time with me there.  A friend of mine was meeting me there, but she had to come a bit late - her son's school concert was also last night, so we made plans to go after his show was over.  It worked out very well, since there were 4 bands playing, and the main one didn't come on until about 10pm anyway.

D stayed for a song or two from the opening act, and then left by 8 to go back home.  My friend (who's also a D) got there about 15 minutes later.  We went back into the show, grabbed a few drinks. and hung out.  Turns out...she knows EVERYONE.  She got us special VIP reserved seating, where we were on the second floor, just above the stage.  We could see everything!  Only thing, is the lead singer didn't look up our way, so none of my pictures are of him, but I did take a ton.  Here are a few....

this was our view of the stage.  we were right on top of it.  Yeah!

Better Than Ezra singing one of my favorite songs

a rare glimpse of the lead singer (Kevin Griffin)

One of the opening acts was a group with a trombone and a trumpet player.  They were funky and fun.  Towards the end of the main liners set, Sam - the trombone player - came out and finished the set with the head lining band.  It was actually quite cool.  It's not everyday you see someone rocking out on a trombone!

After the show - and several beers - my friends fiance came and picked us up and brought me home.  D was very grateful - he'd have had to come get me otherwise, and he had to work today!  He did insist on waiting up for me though, which is just cute.  I walked in the door, and he was lying on the couch watching some cartoon - batman I think - all curled up in the snuggie he got me for St. Nick's on Monday!  It was adorable, actually.  I was starving, and realizing I'd have a heck of a hangover if I didn't eat something, I chowed the leftover Spanish rice from dinner, and then we went to bed.  I woke up this morning around 815.  Not feeling too great, but not as bad as I was worried about either.  Right now, I'm just trying to muster the motivation to get dressed and go finish some Christmas shopping.  For now though, I'm going to hang out in my snuggie and slippers and drink water.

1 comment:

  1. Girl I can hardly stay out past 9 these days! I haven't listened to Better Than Ezra in a million years. Good times ;-)

    ReplyDelete