About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

"When I Was Growing Up"...and..."Kids These Days"

These were the words spoken to me today in a conversation.  With my son.  He's 13 :)

He was explaining to me why he likes going to the gym with me; so he can go into the Interactive Zone and play four-square.  When "he was growing up" the rules were a bit different, and he misses playing it, but "kids these days" don't do it the way he remembered.  When he was a kid.

Sleep was a little better last night, and I'm very happy about that.  I was ridiculously exhausted by 9 pm last night, and D shuffled me off to bed not long after that.  I was probably babbling incoherently while doing the bedtime routine with the kids, and I fell asleep on him while he was watching TV a few seconds after crawling into bed.  As a result, we didn't play as much snooze-tag with the alarm this morning.

I started getting ready for work while D made coffee and woke the youngest.  Then we switched, and I made her breakfast.  D made her lunch, and I took her to school.  It was a day of good morning collaboration, which is sometimes lacking!  Anyway, I dropped R off around 730 and headed into the office.  I had meetings all morning, and then headed to lunch with my friend L.

We went to Quenna's Raw and Vegan restaurant in Norfolk.  The atmosphere was cute - reminded me a lot of Cafe Manna in WI in Sept with my parents.  It was raining and we both ordered tea.  They have a "warmer" of the day dish (since raw food isn't hot), and today's was a yummy groundnut lentil soup.  I could pick any half sandwich I wanted, and I got the Tofu-Veggie pocket with marinated tofu, alfalfa sprouts, marinated beets, leaf lettuce, and probably a couple other wonderful things.  L got the soup and the avocado pocket.  We both really enjoyed our meals, and will have to go back. 


  my raw vegan lunch of amazement

I toy around with the idea of more raw food "cooking", but just can't do it.  The basis of most raw food sauces and soups are nuts, and we have a strict no nut policy in the house because of R's allergy.  Heck, I felt a little guilty eating my soup today because I know it had a nut base.  L had to remind me that I'm not the one with an allergy, and I shouldn't feel guilty, but I just can't help it.

After lunch, I had one more meeting.  Then it was helping R with her homework, doing laundry, and making dinner (all at the same time), then off with M to the gym.  D picked A up from her high school at 640pm and then rushed off to get R to her gymnastics class by 7.  Our house is a zoo most days.

I did my Fitlinxx routine at the Y while M played four-square in the Interactive Zone.  Before I left, I started marinating a couple portabella mushroom caps in some cooking sherry, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, and soy sauce.  As soon as I got home, I turned the toaster oven on to 400, covered the 'shrooms in foil, and popped them in for 30 minutes.  I took a quick shower, put on my jammies, and when the timer beeped, I took the foil off, flipped the mushrooms, and roasted for another 10 minutes.  I got this particular recipe from Veganomicon, which is a totally awesome book.  I made 1 ounce of quinoa pasta, put some of my acorn squash alfredo sauce on it, and enjoyed a fabulous and healthy dinner.  I should change this blog to SeeCrissieRunAndEat! 

So now it's time to get everything ready for the morning so it runs smoothly.  Make lunches, iron clothes, etc.  D and I both have early meetings, so he'll have to leave by 7am, and me by 720 to get R off to school.  Thank the heavens that A and M are self-sufficient!  I'm looking forward to this weekend.  R has swimming Saturday morning, but other than that and working out...NO PLANS.  I think this is the first weekend in months where we don't have something big going on.  I'm excited for next weekend too though.  It's the OBX Marathon weekend, and M and I are volunteering.  We're working the Expo on Saturday and the runner's finish line on Sunday.  I booked our hotel today, and I found a place on the water where you can watch the fishermen come and go.  I'm so excited!  I'm sure I'll have some awesome pictures and stories to tell from that.  But until then, I'll try to enjoy a weekend relatively free from activity.  Woo hoo!


No comments:

Post a Comment