About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankful For So Many Things

The things I am thankful for...

*I have a healthy and happy family that I love so very much.  I get to experience true love every single day
*I have wonderful friends that I am very grateful to know and have in my life
*My husband and I have great jobs with a great company that has always taken great care of us
*I have a healthy and able body, free from illness and debilitation
*I enjoy my life, my interests (although I have too many...see previous post this week), and am pretty much never bored
*I struggle sometimes like everyone else does, but will never overlook that I have a home full of food, love, and silly-ness.  I am thankful that I have floors that need mopping, toilets that need scrubbing, and dishes that need washing.


Today has been a very good day.  First of all, I didn't have to work, so that's awesome.  D's on call, but otherwise he's off too!  We also decided 2 weeks ago that we were going out for dinner tonight, and not doing the big day of cooking (though I love to cook, so that's rarely a chore).

I woke up early (as I usually do), and started cooking anyway.  I made my homemade vegan cinnamon rolls.  VERY unhealthy, but VERY good.  Once the dough was going (they take 3 hrs to make), I started up a pot of coffee, and then got my neti pot ready.  I slept well, but when I woke up this morning, my nose was still a mess.  I decided that flushing out the sinuses was in order, and without going into any details, I was highly successful!

R woke up not long after I did, so we hung out for a bit while everyone else was asleep.  It was a peaceful morning, and I can't complain at all.

The rolls were done not long after everyone else woke up, and I also make some awesome cafe mocha's in my espresso machine for the older kids. 


  The cinnamon rolls before they were baked...


  ...and after!

  Starbucks ain't got nothing on me! 

I didn't partake of the cinnamon rolls because they are 636 calories a piece, and I just can't do that knowingly!  I ended up eating a bowl of brown rice pasta, mixed steamed veggies (broccoli, carrots, and cauliflower), with my favorite acorn squash alfredo.  390 calories, and much more filling!

A few days ago while I was at the gym, I saw a flyer for a beginners Triathlon club.  Since that's been in the back of my mind for a year now, I figured it was very timely.  I brought it home and taped it to my fridge, where I've been staring at it for most of the week.  After talking with D about it this morning, I went ahead and signed up!  Call me crazy, but now my plan is to do a triathlon this summer.  The club meets every M, W, F from January 3rd (my mum's bday!) until June 10th of 2011.  Aside from doing swims, biking, and running, we'll have clinics with different groups (like Fat Frogs Bikes) and individual instruction.  I guess now is the time to get over my apprehension about open water swimming!  Final Kick sports (see link at the side of the page) not only does group runs (which I occasionally participate), but group swims in the bay and rides too, so I'm pretty excited about that as well.  I posted on Facebook that I've signed up, and of course my cousin replied that she likes tri's almost as much as she likes running.  I should have known she's done them!  I know who I'll be tapping into for advice as the months of training go by....watch out S...you'll be fielding lots of questions from me coming up!  D and I are going to our local bike store to get me measure and then I'll be on the lookout for a good used road bike.

After all the fitness reading this morning, I really wanted to go for a run, so I tried getting M to go for our C25K (couch to 5K) training run, when he shook his head violently and told me he didn't like running.  Huh.  Wish I had known that sooner, or I wouldn't have eased up on the running so much!  So...I laced up, grabbed my iPod, and took off for a 3 1/2 mile run around 1pm.  Aside from a dog chasing me at one point and scaring me half to death (I ducked into a bush on some guys lawn while he was out working on his car....he knew I was freaking out a bit and helped keep me safe until the dog owner came by), it was wonderful.  The weather was in the high 50's, it was sunny...but not so much so that it was blinding...and my pace was easy and even.  After the dog drama though, I wonder if I shouldn't run with some pepper spray or something, just in case the dog in question wasn't a friendly critter like Jake was (that's the dog's name from today...as his owner was screaming it to get him to come back, all while apologizing profusely to me).

I got home, cooled off, then took a shower.  I did some more reading for a bit (mostly on triathlons, bikes, etc...but some about black Friday sales), and then sat and knitted while R watched Scooby Doo movies.  It's amazing how peaceful today was when I wasn't scrambling to make a huge dinner feast to satisfy both D and the kids who are omni's (omnivores) and me.  I'm happy my tofurkey sits in my freezer for another day or two!

Our dinner reservations were at 530pm at 456 Fish.  That's much earlier than we normally eat dinner, but that's okay...it's a holiday!  They had their regular menu, and a special Thanksgiving one.  I had the vegetarian dish, which was artichoke and carrots cut into the shape of pasta, with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes in olive oil.  All veggies, and very tasty!  I also had a baby greens salad and some raspberry sorbet for dessert.  R had some white fish with fries and pasta, A had a pumpkin and crab soup, salmon, and cheesecake, M had a salad, turkey, and pumpkin pie, and D had a salad, ham and turkey, and pumpkin pie.  We were there for 2 hours, had a fabulous meal, and best of all...someone else had to make it AND clean up!

D rented Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, and it's time to settle in, relax, and enjoy what's left of the day.

I don't have it in me to do Black Friday shopping this year (that's what the internet is for), so my plans for tomorrow only involve the gym, running,  and maybe some yoga.  And knitting :)  I'm not sure I'll do ALL of that, but I'm sure I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment