About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Week Later, and I Still Have All My Toenails!!!

I'm not sure what the typical window is for losing toenails post marathon, but thus far, mine are still all there.  I'll keep monitoring though to be sure.

Yesterday was my birthday and all in all, it was a pretty good day.  I had a meeting in the morning and then a leadership conference.  Then I ate way too much Thai food and rented Iron Man 2!  It was fun, but Scarlett Johannson didn't get enough screen time.  After lying on the couch and recovering from my steamed spring roll and tofu green curry indulgence (and doing a ton of laundry and watching my movie), I started cooking.  I made an awesome acorn squash alfredo and served it over veggie shell noodles.  It was so smooth and creamy, I was just shocked it's made from pureed squash!  D made the pork tenderloin, and I stir fried up some mushrooms. 

While dinner was cooking (and D was busy baking me a homemade vegan birthday cake), M and I went for a run!  He and I are going to do a 5K training plan together.  I'm sure I'll do some additional runs during the week to keep my base mileage up, but it was really fun.  It was an 18 minute run total, and while we both felt we could do much more, I don't want to see him burn out by doing too much too soon, so we're going to stick to the plan.

After the run and then dinner, I got to open presents and eat my cake!  D and the kids bought me a beautiful dress, belt, and necklace.  I was surprised since he already got me the iPod a couple weeks ago.  I also heard from a bunch of people on facebook, calls, texts, and emails.  It was really nice. 

We watched a little TV, and then went to bed.  Low key, but nice.

I'm not going to run in the OBX marathon weekend this year, but I'm thinking of going down to volunteer.  It's beautiful down there this time of year (really, it's beautiful down there any time of year), and after the Chicago marathon, I'd hate to not give back to the running community.  It's Veteran's day weekend, and the kids are off anyway.  M would probably love to do it too; we did one year at the Shamrock marathon and worked one of the water stations.  I would like to do the Flying Pirate Half-Marathon in the Outer Banks next spring though.  It's a new race that just started last year, and I think it would be a lot of fun.  I still haven't picked my next full marathon, but I sort of have my eye on the Philadelphia Marathon next year in November.  D was talking about wanting to take a vacation, so if not Philly, maybe Disney, which is in January every year.   

Today started with an early morning meeting and turned into a festival of hives!  After my morning meeting, I took A and two other kids in the neighborhood to the high school this morning after their bus was running 20+ minutes late.  Then it was time for a parent/teacher conference for my youngest.  She's sweet, very smart (especially loves math), gets along with everyone, is helpful...and has a hard time shutting up!  She's chatty and wants to fidget and play rather than pay attention and finish her work.  I can't say I'm surprised.  A was the same way as a kid, and I think I was too.  She's also the youngest, so used to being the center of attention. 

I was pretty much minding my own business when most of my body started breaking out in hives!  I have no clue what happened, but after panicking just a little bit, all ended fine after some benedryl.  I'm not sure what I was worried about more...the head to toe hives, not making it to the gym for a Fitlinxx session, or potentially missing Wine Night with the girls tonight!  I guess I shouldn't worry now...the hives are gone, so the wine is on!  

No comments:

Post a Comment