About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies, OH MY!!!!

This weekend has been good, if not just as busy as most.  I really can't wait to have a weekend where I don't have to do anything...or get up early for any reason.  I guess I just really want a day to sleep in! 

Friday was work and boss' day.  Fortunately for my boss, she was on her way to Hawaii, so I didn't feel bad about not getting her a card :)  I did get a card and some balloons myself though, so that was sweet.

Friday night D and I went to a wine party for a couple hours.  It was nice to get out for a little while, and we had a nice time.  We both were tired though, and I slept great Friday night.

Saturday morning D had an appointment at the Apple store at the mall to have his iPhone looked at.  They fixed it, and while he and M were at the mall, R and I went to the gym to workout.  A stayed home and cleaned her room (though to be fair, I gave her the option...gym or clean.  I can't believe she chose to clean instead!).  I did my Fitlinxx workout and it felt good; nothing sore anymore.  I was hoping to go for a run on Saturday, but I ran out of time.

After getting home, I took a shower, and the 5 of us took off for Busch Gardens' Howl-O-Scream Halloween fun again.  We made a pit stop at Starbucks and Trader Joe's before making our way up to Williamsburg.  We all hung out, and the older kids met up with a few friends for a couple of hours.  We went through several haunted houses, and had a really good time getting the poo scared out of us.  At one point a werewolf flew out of the ceiling, I screamed, and D doubled over laughing hysterically at me.  A and M spent most of the evening screaming, and R (the 7 year old) declared repeatedly how unafraid she was of everything.  All in all, it was a very nice time.  My new iPod has a pedometer, and according to it, we walked 24,000 steps in our 4ish hours at the theme park. 




Sunday was spent cleaning, cooking, and I even went for a run!  The 5 of us cleaned the entire house from top to bottom all morning, and then went to do yard work, which also took an hour or two.  After that, D went to the grocery, and I went for a run.  A nice and simple run of just under 2 miles.  D was asking me what my plans were for it...distance or time, etc.  I told him that for the first time in a long time, I didn't have a goal...nor did I want one.  I just wanted to enjoy myself and feel no pressure.  It was lovely.

After my shower, I turned into a cooking machine!  I made homemade samosas (think Indian egg rolls...only roundish.  And filled with potatoes, peas, and yummy Indian spices), Chicken Korma for the meat eaters, Tofu Korma for me, Garlic Naan (a completely fabulous flat bread), and a bit pot of saffron basmati rice.  After dinner, we all watched How To Train Your Dragon before heading off to bed (D took the kids out back and they looked at stars and some planets I think too).

I received an email from Brooks (the company that make my incredible running shoes) to join what they call Run Happy University.  It's basically an informational website on training, nutrition, and of course a vehicle to hock their products.  I found a training plan for beginning 5K's.  While I know I'm maybe just a bit beyond that, I was thinking it would be fun to do with my son.  We had tried about a year ago to have us all train (except R) for a half marathon.  I think that was too ambitious, so I'm the only one who kept running.  I was thinking that maybe a 5K would be a better starting point.  Heck, even R might like doing it!  So I asked M, and even though I could hear the major hesitation in his voice, he said yes.  I figured we could do the Hair of the Dog 5K in Virginia Beach on January 1st.  We start tomorrow with a run/walk of 3 minutes each x 3.  Simple, but the 12 weeks gets him to running 3 miles without stopping.  That'll be pretty cool to watch.

Today is a gym day.  I got up early, but not to workout - just to get to the office early.  I got a lot done, had a couple morning meetings, and then met D for lunch at Olive Garden.  I ate too much, but it was really tasty and I was starving.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do for dinner tonight, since it'll be just me.  I'm picking up R in a few minutes from school, going to do homework, and then take her to swim lessons.  D is going to meet me at the Y to collect R around 645, and then he's taking all the kids to the mall to do some bday shopping.  I'm going to stay at the Y and do my Fitlinxx workout, and then come home.  I have plenty of the Tofu Korma and rice leftover, so I'll likely do that.

The rest of the week will probably be a blur.  Tomorrow is my birthday, and after going to a conference at the oceanfront all day, I want to do that run and then something fun with D and the kids.  Wednesday is a Fitlinxx day...but it's also Wine Wednesday at Carrabba's, and a few of us are going out to celebrate.  Then Saturday is a girls weekend in Williamsburg to celebrate my birthday and take one last trip to Howl-O-Scream before the season ends!  I wish my camera hadn't died during the trip to NYC in August.  Then again, most pictures from "girls weekends" shouldn't be made public anyway ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment