About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, October 31, 2010

NO Double Dipping...Or Special Requests

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!!!!

Today is my very favorite holiday of the year.  I'm not sure why, though if I had to hazard a guess, it's because my birthday is so close to it, that many of my childhood birthday parties were decorated in orange and black, and slightly Halloween themed.  I also grew up in an area where people decked out for Halloween as vigorously as they do for Christmas, turning front yards into graveyards, and dressing up to the nines.  Regardless of the reason, it has been my favorite holiday for as long as I can remember.

R came into our room sometime in the middle of the night saying she had some bad dreams.  I hope it wasn't our trip to Howl-O-Scream yesterday that did that to her.  Anyway, neither D nor I got much sleep last night because despite the fact that she's a 40 lb 7 year old...she takes up more space in the bed than we do!

Try as I mights, I couldn't sleep past 8 this morning.  Having a ridiculous allergy attack at 4am didn't help, nor did my dog who decided it was well past breakfast time and was going bonkers.  So up I got, fed the pups, and made some coffee.  I had some of the soup with rice for breakfast after my java.  R and M were up by 9 or so, and by 10, I was ready to go run some errands and workout.  I woke D up, and headed out to Sam's club.  I was going to pick up more candy (we had broken into the bag of Skittles and Starbursts a couple of weeks ago) since I was worried we didn't have enough.  The only nut-free candy left were Dum-Dum suckers, so I grabbed those.  I also grabbed 3 lbs of cranberries (made some chutney so far), cucumbers, slippers, Xmas goodies, and a slew of other things I didn't need, but sounded good at the time.  Then I stopped by S's house to drop off a batch of the sweet potato-butternut squash soup and hang out for a bit.  Unfortunately, my allergies were literally kicking my butt, so rather than hit the gym, I picked R and D up, and we went to the library.  It was fun, and we spent a lot of time in the kids section picking out books and reading stories.  I also picked up the first two books in a series I've been wanting to re-"read" called the The Belgariad.  I first read them about 15 years ago, and really loved them.  S also picked up another Harry Bosch book.  I figured I give them another chance since she loves them so much.

We then went to a really late lunch at Red Robin where I had a veggie burger and too many french fries.  We were supposed to go to the mall and pick R up some new clothes, but A was locked out of the house (she had gone to the Oceanfront with a friend and her family, and M was at a friends house), so we went home instead.  I then went on an hour long hunt for a pumpkin...and failed.  Oh well.

By the time I finally got home, it was nearly time to get R ready for trick or treating!  D spent the entire time loading the Harry Bosch book into iTunes, and after R got dressed, A did her vampire make-up.  We set up some chairs out front, and the iPod playing the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack...which just happens to be my favorite movie!  I filled a smaller Tervis Tumbler with red wine for me, and a big Tervis with beer for D, and we took off for some candy booty.  A and M passed out candy (sometimes via skateboard) while we took R around the neighborhood.  At one point, we had to double back (for refills and to check on the older 2).  R tried going to houses we had already visited...which prompted the lecture on no "double dipping" by trick or treating at the same house twice.  It was pretty funny having her try and argue with me about it.  We also had to discuss that when she was at a house where they let her pick from the bowl for a treat, that she shouldn't really try to negotiate with the candy-giver about what she likes and what she doesn't.  Truth be told...she doesn't eat any candy anyway.  She doesn't like it, and with her nut allergy, not much is truly safe.  So she trick or treats for the fun of it, and D and I end up taking the candy to work.

So now we're all just hanging out before heading to bed.  It's been a really good weekend.  Here's hoping the rest of the week is too!




  Vampire girl before heading out.


  He didn't feel like dressing up to hand out candy...


  She did.  As a zombie doll.

1 comment: