About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Thursday, October 28, 2010

It's Not My Fault Your Tastebuds are Dead

I generally really like Thursday's.  They're busy (lots of standing meetings on Thursdays), and it's a signal that the week is almost over!  I have some hope that today will be a good day, but we shall see.


First of all, I'm working from home today.  My littlest monkey isn't feeling well.  She's been snuffly the past few days, and has those big purple bags under her eyes that indicate allergy hell.  I whipped out her neti pot last night and we had some success getting the nasties out, so I'm hoping that'll help.  For now, she's sleeping peacefully, and I certainly don't want to disturb that. 


Working from home days are double edged really.  It's nice to be in my jammies still at 830 am, but I find that I actually work more hours in the day than if I were in the office.  Other than two meetings this afternoon (which I'll do via webex), I have several hours of uninterrupted time to get a LOT done.  What I find I end up doing though, is to keep working through until pretty late in the day (like 8-9 pm), and even though working at home is nice, I end up putting in 12 hour days!  Oh well.  I think the whole jammie thing balances that out.


Breakfast today was a sandwich made from Ezekiel bread, mustard, soy cheese, soy bacon, and lettuce.  And coffee.  It was very fabulous.


Yesterday was a busy work day again, and while I ate great, I didn't workout.  Breakfast was some oatmeal and a piece of Ezekiel bread with low sugar jelly and coffee.  I think that's the most "breakfast-like" breakfast I've eaten in a long time!


Lunch was a totally awesome sandwich from Jason's Deli called a Veggie Muffaletta.  They are HUGE, only 177 calories (without the cheese), and are just yummy.  It's made with marinated and grilled portabello mushrooms, spinach, yellow and red bell peppers, tomatoes, red onion, and an olive mix.  I ate half of the sandwich for lunch, and the other half for an early dinner.  I didn't have much of an appetite the rest of the day, so I had a few tortilla chips, but that's about it.  I fell in way below my expected caloric intake, and only ate 857 calories.  That's not good...eating too little is as bad as eating too much.


Tuesday was a pretty good day.  I didn't have a ton of meetings, so I got a lot done.  I was really worried about getting the data for a budget I'm working on (new IT system purchase....it's been a bit of a cluster before I got involved in August, but it's finally coming together).  Breakfast was a Tofu Alfredo sauce with whole grain pasta.  Very tasty!   For lunch, I made a concoction in my rice cooker that is similar to a Mgedarrah Lentils and Rice recipe that I found on VegWeb.  So here it is....


1 cup brown rice (soaked for about an hour)
1 cup lentils (any will work, I used red)
2 onions, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons Allspice
2 tablespoons cumin
4 cups water


I put the oil and onion in the rice cooker, turned it on, and sauteed them for about 5 minutes.  I added everything else on, restarted the rice cooker (I have a fuzzy logic one, so I used the Brown rice setting), and that was it!  I dump tons of hot sauce on it, and it's amazing.  A ate it for dinner on some whole grain and seed crackers.  High fiber, high protein, low fat, all fabulous.


I'm a big fan of full meals that can be cooked in a single pot.  It's just neat.


I hit the gym on Tuesday afternoon for my Fitnlinxx routine.  As planned, I bumped up the weight by 5 lbs for every machine except the shoulder press.  Not quite ready for that one.


Monday was another pretty good day.  I had lots of meetings, but they were highly productive.  I made a Cream of Broccoli Dream soup from my V Cuisine cookbook that my parents got me for Xmas a few years ago.  Talk about uber simple...


2 chopped onions
3 cloves chopped garlic
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp flour (I used whole wheat)
2 cups broccoli
2 cups unsweetened soy milk
1 peeled and diced potato


Saute the onions and garlic in the oil.  Add the flour to mix into a roux.  Add everything else, cover and cook until the stuff is tender.  Blend (I use a hand held immersion blender).  Yum!  I served it with french bread an an olive oil dip with mixed herbs.


So here's my family dilemma.  Well, it's not really a dilemma I guess.  I have noticed (and have done some reading to confirm), that the more you eat whole foods and a clean diet, the more you taste the flavor of the food.  Diets high in processed foods, are high in salt, and high salt diets kill your ability to actually TASTE food.  Since I try to keep processed foods in my life to an absolute minimum, I find that I rarely use any salt in my cooking.  This, of course, is the polar opposite of how my husband eats (though he was a very good sport about the soup for dinner on Monday).  He ends up having to dump mounds of salt onto his food, just to taste it.  It makes me sad really, that his diet is more on the unhealthy and processed side.  I'm working on him slowly :)


I learned about an event next fall that I really want to go to.  It's a Vegan Blogger Conference!  It's next August in Portland, Oregon.  I think it would be incredibly cool to actually meet people who have the same passion for a meat-free life as I do.  That, and I haven't been to the west coast in SO long...I'd get to visit one of my very best friends in the world, who lives outside of Seattle.  D is all for me going, so I really hope we can swing it.


So that's it for today.  I'm hoping to go to the gym after D gets home from work.  I need to strength train, and since it's such a rainy day, I think I'd like to use the rowing machine or take a cycling class too.  Since the marathon is over, I do want to keep running of course, but also do some other forms of exercise as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment