About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Good Friends = Good Times!

What a fun couple of days!  I've worked out, cooked, and went out of town with some good friends for some good times!

Wednesday night was Wine Night with the girls for a couple of hours.  The 6 of us drank some red wine and ate yummy Italian food while catching up.  D dropped me off (and stopped in for a beer), and S brought me home. 

Thursday started out with early meetings and ended with late ones.  According to my calendar, I had an 8am meeting at one of our hospitals.  I show up, but the person I'm supposed to meet with doesn't.  Around 820 I page her to let her know I'm there, and to grab me when she gets in.  As it turns out...she's off for the day and her secretary forgot to reschedule the meeting.  Ugh...I rushed to get out the door by 715am for nothing.  I hate that!

I had back to back meetings from 930 until nearly 530.  I was SO hungry by the time the day was over.  I was supposed to have a little time between a couple of them - which I thought would mean I'd have time to grab a salad or something - but all my meetings ran over, so it was a lot of scrambling and tummy rumbling.  I was supposed to go to a vendor-sponsored dinner and beer thing that evening, but I just didn't have time.  By the time I got out of the hospital and fought traffic on the way home, D had to leave with R for gymnastics and I had to pick A up from school.  On the positive side...it was really nice to just get to spend time with the kids and do some packing.  While D was at gymnastics, the kids and I had sammiches and soup and finished an episode of Survivor from a couple of weeks ago.  The one where the crazy fisherman guy was voted off.  Yeah!

Friday was early morning meetings again, but it wasn't so bad this time since my earliest was a conference call.  Gotta love going to a meeting in your jammies with a cup of coffee!  I worked at home most of the day, which is always a nice treat.

My new glasses came in, so I stopped at my eye Dr on my way home, and then hit the gym for my Fitnlinxx workout.  I'm starting to get excited because I can see the muscles in my arms that I really never noticed before.  It gets me very motivated to go back to the gym.  Next week, I'm planning on upping my weight on each machine.  I think it's time.
R had her Fall Festival at her grade school.  They go all out - have raffles, inflatables, games, crafts, dancing, and food.  D took her, and I met up with them when I left the gym.  Then it was off to pick A up from school and head home.  We ate dinner and all watched the other 2 episodes of Survivor that we were behind on.  Now we're all caught up and are still annoyed that Marty and Naonka haven't been voted off yet.  They're both so snaky.

Saturday was a very early morning.  I didn't sleep well and woke up at 4am anyway, but M and I had an early morning workout.  We were out of the house just before 7am.  We brought Sammie (our yellow lab), and headed to the Great Dismal Swamp for a 55 minute speed-walk workout.  We both underestimated how cold it was, and froze a bit in the beginning.  This time of year is very pretty, and some of the dense greenery was changing to pretty fall colors.  We went 3.5 miles total, and other than when Sammie spotted something she felt like chasing or playing with, we moved at a pretty good clip the whole time.  In the last 1/4 mile, we saw a pretty sailboat going through the canal.  M took some pictures, and they're below.





After our workout, we decided to be nice to the rest of our family (who were still sleeping, by the way), and stopped at Dunkin Donuts for them.  M and I had both eaten before the workout (a piece of Ezekiel toast with sunflower butter and half a sliced banana for me.  Two pieces of toast for him).  Of course, he's 13 and seems constantly hungry, so he got a breakfast sandwich at Dunkin Donuts too.

After I got home, I jumped in the shower and finished packing my bag for the weekend.  A couple of us went to Williamsburg for the weekend.  S rented a beautiful condo up there, and after fighting some awful traffic, finally made it up around 130. S promptly pulled out the fixing for Mojito's and her iPod, and we all had a drink!  We then caught the shuttle bus to Busch Garden's and enjoyed a few hours of walking around, drinking beer, people watching, talking, and haunted fun.  We took the shuttle back to the resort, and then hit their pub for some bad pool playing and drinks.  At some point, most of the bar found out it was my birthday weekend celebration, so we didn't really pay for much.  And as much as I appreciated the gifts of Jaeger bombs, lemon drops, and bottles of beer...I really didn't want to drink much.  I despise being hung over much more than I like to drink, so despite several protests, I drank a lot of water.  We got back to our condo around 1230, hung out and talked for another hour and a half, and went to bed at 2am. 

At 9 this morning, we finally started moving again, and began packing up.  After a necessary stop at Starbucks around 1030, S and I went shopping at the Williamsburg outlet mall.  She got some shoes, and I bought new workout pants for M (his poor legs froze yesterday morning in shorts) and some socks for D (he has big feet, and the only place I can find socks that fit him are at the Nike outlet store).  We hit a few more stores, but the most amazing was the Yankee Candle Flagship store in Williamsburg.  It's a mini mall unto itself.  Sure, they had candles...but they ALSO had a Holiday Park where it snows every 4 minutes, a food court, a guy playing guitar and singing, face painting and crafts for children, the Yankee Home Store, and all told, I think S and I spent at least an hour and a half there.  I ended up with a candle that smells like grape Skittles.  It's pretty cool.

We then stopped for lunch at an Asian buffet I love (they have Chinese, Japanese, Mongolian, Thai, Vietnamese food....as well as this awesome "sushi train").  Lunch was awesome.  Then we left and drove the 45 ish minutes back home.  Good times!

Oh, and while I was off having fun, D entertained not only our children, but some of their friends too.  They had a sleep over fest and watched movies, played video games, and ate pizza.  So I think that everyone in my family had a good weekend.

The rest of the evening is really just cleaning and getting ready for the week.  I'm going to go run a few errands, hit the grocery, and come home and try to relax before going to bed early!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, you exhaust me:-) I'm going to bed! Glad you enjoyed your birthday with the mysterious "S".:-) Valerie Artis

    ReplyDelete