About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Wildly Inappropriate Airport Guy

I walked into my front door at 1am on Saturday from my trip back to VA. Our flight from Madison was delayed, but fortunately not so much so that we missed the connection in Detroit.


Speaking of Detroit, I had an encounter with a very strange old man. I was wearing my In My Mind I'm a Kenyan t-shirt, and sat down in the gate area of my departing flight.  I was just getting my phone out to call D to let him know I made the connection on time, when this older gentleman started talking to me about my shirt.  He asked why I was wearing it, and I explained that I ran, and was doing my first full marathon in 2 weeks, and I was wearing it for inspiration.  He then started trying to quiz me about the biology of why Kenyan's run fast, of which I was pretty appalled.  I just said that I was in admiration of the athletic prowess that I do not naturally posses, and I found the shirt inspiring.  Plus, it's funny.  I was trying desperately to end the entire conversation without being overly rude, but I was starting to get really annoyed.

He then starts going on about how it's an obvious reference to President Obama.  At this point all my "respect for elders" attitude flew out the window.  I looked at him, told him he was WAY over thinking my t-shirt, and that I've had it since before our President was elected, so there is in no way, shape, or form any possible reference to one man in particular.  He kept babbling about how it really is a glaring comparison.  I told him to have a nice flight, and got up and walked away.

I boarded my flight, and sat back to read.  We landed on time, picked up my luggage, and then spent a half hour making my way to the long term parking lot to get my car.

On the way home I actually had to stop at the grocery store.  When I spoke to my youngest the day before I flew back home and she was really upset that I was still gone, I told her that I would be home when she woke up the next day, and that I would make her breakfast.  She said she wanted pancakes and bacon, and I promised to make them for her.  Unfortunately, D forgot to go to the store and actually buy the groceries I needed, so while I'm totally exhausted from a day of travel, I swung into the Harris Teeter up the street and picked up 2 packages of bacon and (I cheated) some frozen pancakes.  There was no way on earth I'd be up for making homemade pancakes!

I got home, wheeled all my stuff into the house, spent a few minutes calming my dog down who was so excited to see me that she was going to wake the entire house, spent a few minutes with my cat who was yelling at me because my absence had obviously screwed up her entire routine.  By the time I got to bed, it was 2am.  And I was up at 530.  And I felt like total poo!

When I woke up that morning, I had a sore throat, major headache, and I couldn't breath.  I'm thinking that infecto-lady made me sick, and the few days I spent in WI was just the incubation period.  The following 3 days were pretty awful.  It felt like someone was jumping around in my sinuses, and alternating trying to push my eyeballs out from the inside and using some bizarre snot-hose to fill up my head no matter what meds I took or how often I blew my nose.  Friday was occupied by a dr's appt in the morning, and then cleaning all day and trying to relax.  A stayed home from school as she wasn't feeling so hot either.

BUT...there is no rest for the wicked, no matter how sick I may be.  Saturday was R's 7th birthday celebration at Kangaroo Jac's.  It was really hard being vertical for that party and being sociable to the moms who decided to stay (I mean really?  When your child is invited to a party, don't you just drop him or her off and then come back at the end???).  D did all the coordinating of the kids and the Kangaroo Jac's staff, and M chased and corralled all the kids on the inflatables all afternoon.  A put together the goodie bags, and I just worked on breathing and talking to the mom's who stayed.  On top of this, D and I had ordered bday cupcakes from an allergy-free baker we had found out about.  Here is her very professional looking website.  All I can say is, DO NOT GO HERE!!!!  So here D and I are a couple of weeks ago, totally esctatic that we found a professional baker who could create nice looking party-worthy cakes and cupcakes that are safe for R to eat.  After many weeks of communications, the plan was for Stephanie to deliver the cupcakes to Kangaroo Jac's at 245pm.  The party was 3-5, and it would allow us time to get them set up on the fun little cupcake stand I picked up at party city before all the kids started rolling in.

WELL....let me tell ya.  245.  No cupcake lady.  3pm when the kids are ready to bounce, no cupcake lady.  4pm when the pizza shows up, NO CUPCAKE LADY.  D's calling the phone numbers we have for her, and one is disconnected and she's not picking up the other - and neither is the answering machine on for it.  And it's not like we can run to the grocery or bakery really fast and pick something up, because of the cross contamination of nuts used, so short of buying a box of twinkies, I'm horrified that we will have no bday treats for R.  No candles and singing, and her very first bday party will be ruined.  At 420pm, the cupcake lady shows up.  She's a total mess, disoriented, and seems to be high on something.  D pays her and she bolts just as quickly as she can.  So thankfully we have the ability to put a candle on the cupcake and have everyone sing to her.  Fortunately, the kids were more excited about being able to jump on the inflatables, that they didn't really care about the cupcakes anyway.  Which is also a good thing, because both R and A said they weren't very good.  So if you live in the Hampton Roads area....STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAKE LADY!!!!

All is not lost, however.  After we get home from the party, and R's playing with all her new toys, I start getting her ready for bed, and she throws her arms around me and tells me that today was the best day ever...except for me being sick.  So she had fun, and that's all that matters.  So take THAT cakelady.

I slept a little better on Saturday than I had on Friday, so that was a bonus.  On Sunday, M and I went to the grocery, and I spent part of the day cooking.  I made a Middle Eastern Lentils with Onions and Garlic from my World Vegetarian cookbook and some basmati rice, Palestinian Sliced Tomatoes in a Tomato Sauce (from the same cookbook), and a Mediterranean Quinoa Salad from my 1000 Vegan Recipes book.  I also had soaked a bag of black beans overnight, and had those going in the crock pot with some onions, garlic, and bay leaves.  It was the first time in a week I was able to cook, and it made me feel much better.  I couldn't really taste anything, but it still made me happy!

Sunday I had to work nights (8pm-9am) at one of our hospitals to support their IT systems go-live.  I came with lentils, tea, and theraflu.  I picked a corner of the room to work in as to avoid becoming infecto-lady myself.  I felt like hell, but just couldn't call in...that would mean someone would have to be dragged out to Suffolk in the middle of the night and stay up all night.  I just couldn't do that to someone.  The good news is that it was really quiet, so I got all caught up at work.  Over 800 unread emails (and about 500 ones I had read but not actually done anything about), budgets, project plans, etc.  It felt really good to get that much stuff done.  Around 530am, I started feeling rough, but made it through.

I got home Monday morning and took a nap.  I didn't have to work Monday night, so I wanted to be able to sleep that night.  I woke up, made dinner (spaghetti) and took R to swim lessons while D took A and M to martial arts.  By the time we all got home, it was after 8pm.  D and I were both exhausted, I was still sick, so after calling my Dad to wish him a happy birthday, we all went to bed.  I do have to say that this year's song choice was not traditional.  We usually sing Happy Birthday, but this year, we went with the Beatle's When I'm Sixty-Four. 

Tuesday morning I took R to the orthodontist.  I was very relieved when I was told that yes, she'll need orthodontic work, but not for another 3-4 years.  Woo hoo!  I took her to school, ran out to the pediatrician's office to pick up medication forms for R (she has to have special forms to have her Epi Pen at school and daycare), had lunch with D, and then went home to take a nap and get ready for another 13 hr night shift.

I felt so much better by Tuesday, it was wonderful.  I'm still stuffy and coughing, but it's no where near as bad as it was.  I had some lentil soup just before going to the hospital, so I brought some wheat thins and hummus and tea with me.  It was another quiet evening, so that was a big relief.

I got home from work yesterday morning, and had a couple bloody mary's while watching CSI and CSI NY from last week.  I took a brief 3 hr nap, picked M up from school (he had a student council meeting), and got home right about the same time D did with R.  R did her homework, and then it was off to swim lessons again.  I had promised her we'd stay and swim for awhile, so when her lesson was over, the two of us swam for another half hour doing laps (for her they're fun because she has her swim fins and goes crazy fast), for me, it was a really nice and much needed workout.  Then we hung out in the hot tub for 10 minutes or so, showered up, and left.  D was at martial arts with A and M, and he stopped at Subway afterward for dinner, ate, watched last week's Chuck (we're all big fans of the show), and then went off to bed. 

All this week it's been raining a lot, and last night and all day today we're in the middle of a tropical depression, so it's pouring and flooding everywhere.  The kids were mocking me this morning because I was wearing my rain poncho (got it at Busch Gardens in Tampa last year!).  If they hadn't both lost their umbrellas, I would actually have used MY umbrella...but I gave it to my oldest child so SHE wouldn't get soaked.  So they're picking on me (A told me I looked ridiculous), but it's really their fault.  Oh well, I stayed dry, and that's all that matters.

Because of the rain, I'm going to do my run on the treadmill today.  I'm in the taper phase, so it's only a 30 minute run.  I'm nervous because I've missed a few runs in the past 2 weeks, and I'm scared what this will mean for Chicago.  I'm planning to do a 10 miler on Saturday, just to make myself feel better that I still can!

Because it's an icky and rainy day, I have a big batch of homemade black bean soup going in the crockpot.  I'm using the beans I cooked on Sunday, so it's all very fresh.  I'm going to make some whole wheat french bread and rice and that will be dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment