About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

UGH...The Narrator Changed MID Series

I forgot to whine about this last night.  So on my run last night I started book 5 of the True Blood series.  I was annoyed because the first 4 books were narrated by someone I had gotten used too...and this one is narrated by someone different.  It's subtle, but it still bugs me.  None of the characters have the same accent...Suki isn't "Louisiana" enough, Pam sounds American, and Erik only has a slight viking accent.  Other than that, the new narrator isn't too bad.  Unlike a different book series D and I listened to a couple of years ago...Sword of Shannara books from Terry Brooks.  O boy.  That was actually a deal breaker, and I stopped listening to them because of it.  If you don't listen to audio books regularly - especially a series - it's hard to explain.  You get used to how a narrator pronounces words or names, and when someone changes it, it's hard to accept.  Anyway, I digress.  Just a bit of advice to audio book makers....when it comes to a series, stick to a single narrator!  You don't change authors mid-stream...don't change narrators either!  Okay, that was an extreme analogy, but still...

Today was a lot of meetings, so very little in the way of real work got done.  I did, however, get excited about a few things...

I set up a Twitter account (aptly named RunCrissieRun), and have been learning more about it.  I'm doing this for a few reasons to be honest - one is because it would make sense to know more about the advances in technology - especially how they can apply to business innovations (since that's kind of my job).  The other is because it's actually very cool.  Think blogging...but only getting to use 140 characters at a time.  It's called micro blogging, and it can be pretty amazing...once you filter through the things you really want to do with it.  I'm still just learning (Twitter for Dummies is one of my road maps), but I think it's been revolutionary for a reason.  I spent some time on Twitter this morning and I'm now following multiple news sites (CNN, NPR), healthy related users (Lance Armstrong, VegNews, Yoga Journal, US soccer, my employer), business users, environmentally conscious users...you get the idea.  It's really quite amazing.

I also sort of got a little activism bug today too.  I was looking at my blogger dashboard - which lists my blog on top, and any that I'm following.  One is a blog from a mother who is raising a child with nut allergies (as I am), and her most recent post was about how the DOT has re-opened discussions about banning peanuts from US airlines.  I ended up clicking on just about every link to multiple organizations dedicated to protecting people with food allergies, including the DOT.  3.3 million US citizens have a nut allergy.  That's pretty statistically significant.  Anyway, it was nice to connect to a community of people that are living with what my family is.  All thanks to blogging. 

Anyway.  Breakfast was fruit - and orange and some watermelon.  Lunch was a stir fry of red onion, red bell pepper, Asian tofu, miracle noodles, hot red pepper flakes, and soy sauce.  It was insanely good.  After my last meeting of the day, the kids and I went to the gym for Fitlinxx and swimming.  D seems to be feeling a bit better today, so hopefully he's on the upswing from his recent Crohn's flare-ups.  I snacked on a few generic triscuits and hummus, but should probably go dig up something real for dinner.  Maybe the leftovers from lunch, since it was so good.  I still have lentils too.  The kids had an upside down dinner night (meaning breakfast for dinner).  Since D was feeling better, but not well enough to go to the gym, I decided that HE got to make breakfast.  Since the only thing he really cooks are omelets, I took some bacon out of the fridge, and he made ham and cheese omelets with bacon for them.  I'm struck sometimes by the major differences in the way I eat and the way my family does.  Sometimes I'm sad that they eat meat, but I hold firm that it's not my right to force my lifestyle choices on them.  They know why I'm a vegan, and they are all very supportive.  If they are so supportive of me, it would be terrible of me to not be supportive of them to make their own choices.  It still makes me sad sometimes though.  Anyway, I'm off to make my own dinner.  And watch the Rock beat up a football team in the Rundown since it's on TV right now!  That, and I have another 7am meeting tomorrow, so I hope to go to bed early tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment