About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Friday, August 27, 2010

Thai Food is Making a Comeback (in my life anyway)

Yesterday was a long, but productive day.  I was at the hospital by 715am, had a string of meetings, a yummy Thai lunch (I know, I know...so much for my ban on Thai food until post-marathon days), more meetings, a stop at my office on the way home, and home by 6ish.  I'm really enjoying all the new Cardiac stuff I'm doing, so I haven't really been able to complain about work.  It's been a LOT in a short period of time, and shows no signs of slowing, but I really dig it.

My eating yesterday left much to be desired.  I had coffee before work, and a bagel at work.  Lunch was a spring roll and tofu green curry.  After my team meeting, we went out to lunch, and I totally would have gone for Pasha's again, but I had that for lunch AND dinner the night before, so I just couldn't crave middle eastern food.  Thus Thai it was.  I rationalized it two ways...1-it wasn't a run night so I wasn't worried about my lunch making a return trip and landing in my neighbors yard and 2-if I'm going to keep up this major running thing, I need to train my body to be able to eat Thai food and have it remain in my stomach.  It's not like I'm going to give it up forever.  So there.  I ate my favorite meal for lunch!  I made pasta with hummus sauce for dinner.  I didn't use spinach though - I used peas.  I hate cooked spinach.  Unfortunately, I was so stuffed from lunch that I had no appetite for dinner.  I did have a taste and thought it was good.  Everyone else in the family ate it (yeah, vegan dinner for everyone!), so that's a good sign that I'll make it again.  Not so sure I'll use the garlic hummus though....it was almost too garlicky.

D had his doctors appts yesterday.  Good news is that he can stop taking the one med that they think is making him so sick.  Bad news is they upped the dosage on one of his maintenance meds that's more invasive than the rest, so he has to get his liver checked regularly.

Our lawnmower stopped working a little while ago, and my yard started looking terrible.  D had tinkered with it, but the lawn thing gets on my nerves more than his.  A and M had just taken the push mower to the front yard when D must have felt sorry for them and decided to try and fix the mower.  It was funny, because he went outside, messed around with it for a few, came back inside, proceeded to read the mower manual online, and then declared that he "had to rebuild a carburetor".  I think it was the manliest thing I had ever heard him say!  So off he went to some store, came back, and spent a good hour or more outside playing with the motor.  He got it working, came back in the house, and strutted around very proud of himself (and smelling like gas and sweat) until bed.

This morning, M went to mow the back yard, and the mower died after a minute and a half.  Tonight D tinkered with it for a few minutes, couldn't revive it, and borrowed our friend's riding mower who lives down the street.  I kid you not...D cut the grass!  I think he's only done that 2-3 times in the past 2 years or so, so it was a bit of a treat.  Anyway, much thanks for my friends mower!  Now I can let the kids have friends over tomorrow night for backyard movie fun with Futurama.

Breakfast was coffee and a tofu, squash, and millet stew.  I did my Fitlinxx workout in the morning, which is always a mixed blessing.  Good because it's done, and since I have to go to bed so early tonight, I didn't have to worry about trying to fit it in this evening.  Bad because I hate mornings.  Oh well.  Lunch was Chinese buffet (M, D and I went.  D wasn't feeling well, and I didn't find much there appetizing).  It's not often I leave a buffet and I'm not stuffed.  I had some miso soup, edamame, rice, and spring roll.  Dinner was pasta and the leftover roasted tomatoes and onions.  I'm heading to bed in a few since I have my 21 miler in the morning, so I hope I'm well fueled for tomorrow. 

So I'm off to bed in a few.  I have most of my gear for tomorrow set aside.  I'm going down to First Landing State Park (the poison-ivy trail).  I'm going to do 8-10 miles around the Great Neck/Hilltop area, and then go into the trail for the last half.  That way I hopefully won't end on that stupid trail that I hate.  I never seem to turn the right way, and I always end up in the marshy/sandy area that sucks to run on.

I'm hoping it goes well.  As it turns out, there's going to be 10 of us eating dinner at my house tomorrow.  If my run is awful, I'm not sure how I'm going to get off the floor and cook for that many....

No comments:

Post a Comment