About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

A Run and a Bloody Mary (and Brett Favre is a Putz)

It turns out you CAN make a bloody mary with V8!  I've never actually tried it before.  To be honest, I don't think I've ever made a bloody mary before....which is strange since I do love them.  Anyway...

I apologize for not blogging yesterday. I just didn't have it in me, so I guess today is a two-fer.

Tuesday's are pretty long meeting days.  Granted, most days I have many meetings, but it seems that the Tuesday meetings are the longest in duration.  I have a hard time sitting in a room for 2+ hours without getting up and at the very least going to the bathroom.  Yesterday was no different.

Breakfast was some Irish steel cut oatmeal and coffee.  I had a banana during the meeting (excuse #1 to get up during the meeting...to throw away the peel).  I had very little time to get across town between meetings, so I grabbed a quick black bean wrap and a smoothie and had that at the next long meeting of the day.  I admit...I also had some jalapeno chips which are my favorite.   Dinner was a leftover stuffed bell pepper with some eggplant croquettes - which were fully awesome and from that Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen cookbook.

The older two kids and I went to the Y to do the Fitlinxx workout and then A was off to her boyfriends house to go swimming, have dinner, and spend some quality time with his parents (tee hee).  I had nearly finished book 5 of my audio book while doing my weight training, and I figured I'd finish the last 15-20 minutes while making dinner.  This is the only time I break my rule of not listening unless working out.  If I'm so close to the end that I'd run out during my next workout, I finish it while doing something other than working out. 

I finally watched Episode 1 of Season 1 of True Blood!  I figure that now that I'm starting book 6, I can probably start watching the series, and D downloaded it to our upstairs TV the other day.  All told, it was fun.  At 8 minutes and 46 seconds into the episode they had the first major character modification, though it works within the context of the show and it didn't irritate me enough to make me not want to watch it.  I was surprised because fairly recently D and I rented a movie (Angels & Demons) and turned it off about 5 minutes in because they changed it SO much I couldn't handle it.  I had just finished the audio book (though I've read the book before), and I was worried I may have the same reaction to True Blood.  Fortunately I haven't yet...so far so good.

Today was another long, but good day.  I had meetings non-stop from 11-5pm.  I did get quite a bit done that I wanted to this morning though, so I felt good about that.

Breakfast today was the remaining stuffed bell pepper and coffee.  I have to clarify when I mention my unconventional breakfasts.  I don't actually drink my coffee while eating.  I typically finish my coffee anywhere from 15-45 minutes before I eat.  Even I think that flavor combination would be weird. 

My mid-morning snack was popcorn.  Not balanced (bad me), but very yummy.  I wasn't hungry most of the rest of the day, so my lunch was really just snacking on some prunes in orange essence.  I never thought I'd eat prunes (or admit to eating them), but I love plums and decided to give them a try.  I bought the dried ones in orange essence from Sunmaid and they're wonderful.  Dinner was some tofu spicy soup.  Once a staple (as it was the first fully-successful tofu meal I had made), I haven't had it in months.  I think the weather has been so hot, that I just didn't want it.  Fortunately, today we had some major storms which cooled it down a bit, and with the AC cranked, a spicy tofu soup sounded perfect.

Speaking of storms, it gave me a bit of a delima.  Today's scheduled run was a 6-miler.  I really wanted to do it, but was worried about getting poured on.  D's also still not feeling the greatest, so I was taking the kids to TKD.  Their class is roughly 45 minutes.  Try as I might, I can't possibly run 6 miles in that length of time.  I decided to run tomorrow's run today (only a 30 minute run), and do the 6 miles tomorrow.  I'll have more time and more luck with the weather.  As it was, I started getting sprinkled on just as my 30 minutes was coming to an end.  It didn't bother me though because I was a sheen of wet due to the humidity and my inability to have the sweat on my body evaporate.  Sorry, I imagine that visual isn't too cool.

I was checking my Twitter account, and received the following post NPR news this evening "QB Brett Favre: One and Done".  Yeah.  Right.  According to the article, pretty much everyone is excited about this; except many WI fans.  I'm one of them....you don't sign a lifetime contract with a team and then go play for one of our biggest rivals.  And you know what...I don't even WATCH football!  I just think it's annoying that he "retires" and comes back just before the season starts.  I've read that it's just his way of avoiding training camps.  Putz. 

On the more fun side, after my shower, I decided that I wanted a bloody mary!  I have a martini shaker that has recipes on it, and I had pretty much everything I needed.  I didn't have tomato juice, but I had a little lonely can of V8 (D drinks them often..especially when he has a flare-up...since he can't eat fruits or veggies when he's sick, it makes me happy).  I had vodka, and I picked up a bottle of vegan Worcestershire sauce the last time I was at a hippie grocery at the Oceanfront.  For those who don't know....regular Worcestershire sauce is made with anchovies.  EWWWW.  





No comments:

Post a Comment