About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Open Keyboard, Insert Foot

So I know that's not exactly the phrase, but it's pretty close!  As it turns out, TWO things I have mentioned in the past week have proven to be untrue.

First of all, apparently there is NO law against driving barefoot in WI.  I really do remember being told that when I was younger, but like many things we figure out later, it was nothing but an urban myth.  Had I taken the time to actually Google that little tidbit before writing, I would have found this! Thanks to my sister for actually researching what I said!  To bad I didn't call her BEFORE I decided to blog about it...

And second...it turns out that the narrator of book 5 of the True Blood audio books, Dead As A Doornail, is the very same person as the previous 4.  D actually went back to the beginning of the book (he's further along than I am) and verified that it is indeed the same woman.  He DOES agree with me that she's changed up the voices a little bit though (he can barely tell, but I pay much more attention to things like that than he does).  She's apparently a comedienne and I suppose may have had other gigs than narrating 10 Suki Stackhouse books in a row!  Maybe she just forgot that Pam wasn't American, Erik was Viking, and Suki was much more southern.  Anyway, it's been a week of being proven wrong :) 

I do think it's neat though after my last post that my sister-in-law B is now on Twitter.  I think everyone should be!  I'm still reading my Dummies book....and will really focus on it once I'm done with Daniel Sliva's latest The Rembrandt Affair, which I almost am.  According to my Kindle, I'm at 93%.

Speaking of my Kindle, it sparked a friendly conversation with a stranger yesterday.  I hadn't been to Moe's for a few weeks, and was craving my Personal Trainer veggie salad, so I popped in there for a quick lunch.  As always, the guy behind the counter (who turns out is the manager), greeted me and knew what I was going to order.  Also as always, I sat at a table with my salad, a glass of water, and my Kindle (well, almost always.  Once I ate there with my Dad...).  Anyhow, I was finishing up, when a man walked up to me and asked me if I liked my Kindle.  The first time this happened to me, I got a little unnerved by some stranger striking up a conversation with me, but I'm fully used to it by now.  I explained to him that yes, I loved it, and I find it wildly convenient to have up to 1500 or so books at my immediate disposal should I choose...without having to hire a semi-truck to follow me around.  The typical conversation ensued "don't you miss the feel of a book in your hands??"..."nope"...et cetera, et cetera.  He asked me if I knew anything about the other e-readers.  I mentioned that a good friends of mine had Nooks and iPads, and that as far as e-books go, they're probably all pretty similar (though obviously the iPad does much more...if you're willing to pay the data plan, etc).  He then asked what I was reading (which is the afore mentioned Rembrandt Affair), and we ended up going into a long discussion about Israel, politics, and food.  It turns out he does marketing for a restaurant group and was scoping out Chesapeake.  He asked a lot of questions about restaurants, where the "kids hang out", etc.  I finally figured out he wasn't interested in my opinions about my Kindle at all!  He was doing research on where his company should invest in some type of restaurant venture. 

Yesterday ended up being a pretty bad day for D, Crohn's wise.  It started out pretty well, but went downhill.  Tonight has been pretty ugly too.  We're starting to figure out some trigger foods for him (like acidity and fat content), and he's now relegated to a very bland and low residual diet (zero fiber, no nuts, seeds, chewy meats, or fruits and veg).  He has a follow-up apt on the 26th...to give some time for his meds to work...before they try something else.  Poor baby.

Today's 4 mile run was very much looked forward to by me.  I've been royally stressed out by many things, and definitely needed that outlet.  It felt good to push it, and I was actually averaging just under a 9 minute mile for much of it (don't get overly excited...it's not normal for me).  I was really sweaty, really thirsty, and really hungry after.  It's just one of those things.  Some days I think of my pending run as a penalty...and sometimes as my salvation.  Today was heavenly.

Food wise was a mixed bag.  Breakfast was coffee, fruit and toast.  My mid-morning snack was the Asian baked tofu stir fry leftovers.  And then it all kinda went downhill from there.  Lunch was lentils (leftover from Sunday)...and popcorn...and Skittles.  In the afternoon, I snacked on some Twizzlers!  My stomach was killing me from all the sugar.  Dinner ended up being some simple Miracle noodles boiled with corn and peas.  I do have a new app for my iPhone called Tap and Track, that helps me log everything I eat.  I know why research says people lose weight and keep it off when they document.  Looking at it right now, I had 1200 calories...most in the form of sugar.  Ugh.

Well, that's about it.  Another early day tomorrow with 7am meetings (4th day this week).  Can't complain though, since for the most part I really love my job.  Even though it contributes to my stress level being sky-high.  I guess it also contributes to my happy running days!

No comments:

Post a Comment