About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Nope, This Ain't My First Rodeo

I have wanted to have a reason to say that for as long as I learned the phrase.  The possibility has come to me twice in the past month...once just this evening.

Today was a long work day.  I had meetings scheduled until 730pm (though it went until 830pm).  I woke up with D this morning, had some coffee, and made R's lunch while he took a shower.  I had a 3 mile scheduled run today, so I opted for a morning run (I know..amazing) because I knew I wouldn't have the ability to run this evening.  More like I wouldn't have the inclination, but whatever...same thing :)

The run was pretty good, but my body didn't appreciate the java so close to the jarring motion of pounding pavement.  That, and I didn't really eat dinner.  Fortunately, it was only 3 miles, so it wasn't very long.  It was also a cool (if not muggy) morning, so that was nice too.  I was astounded by the number of neighbors I saw out and about exercising.  Kinda cool, but they're nuts if this is a regular thing.

After my morning run, I said goodbye to D and R, and started getting ready for work.  I had a bowl of veggie soup for breakfast after my shower, and was in the office by 10.  Lunch was a red lentil soup and half an Anatolian wrap (which is a Turkish dish of a red lentil patty and veggies).  Very awesome.  Dinner was a harvest grain salad with olive oil and lemon juice - another awesome meal from Pasha's in Norfolk.  And some Malbec!  Overall, a phenomenal eating day.

Work was really busy today.  I had a brief meeting around 10 with one of my team to give her some good news.  Then I had an 11 meeting to discuss adding a new team member to my other team (which I really need), which went well.  A quick lunch with a friend to bring her up to speed on the goings-on at work, and then a 2 hr team meeting.  From there, it was off to Norfolk to meet with L and A to discuss and plan the river weekend.  L is typing up the plan...she's so cute.  We're doing all the cooking since we're staying in A's vacation house.  Should be a very good time.

This evening I had a system demo from 6-830.  It went well, but was extremely long.  My role is as the IT director, making sure that the proposed new application is technically sound and will appropriate integrate or interface with out bazillion existing systems, work with our network, estimate the total IT costs, etc.  It was a very productive meeting and I think they are definitely the front runner for the contract.  As much as the meeting went well eventually, I always get the weird look and comments from the vendors when meetings like this start.  I look younger than I am, so they don't quite know what to make of me at first...until I start talking.  While I'm in my "late thirties (>35, <40), I don't really look it (blessed with good genes).  I typically get mid to late 20's as a guess, so the vendors think I'm easy to snow...kinda like a woman going to buy a car.  Easy mark.  NOT SO MUCH. 

This has happened to me twice in the past month.  Tonight the vendor was very gracious and eventually started directing all of the technical discussion my way.  Earlier this month with a different vendor, they were not so gracious.  After the meeting was over, the project manager from the other company actually came up to me, patted me on the shoulder, and told me in a very condescending way "what a good job I did".  I wanted to scream at the top of my lungs that this wasn't my first rodeo!  I thought it would be fun to say, but proper decorum dictated that I just think it and whine about it here.  Fortunately my customers and my bosses are happy with the job I am doing, and that's all that really matters.  Poo on the vendors!

Tomorrow is a ridiculously early day - with meetings starting at 8am back at the hospital that I didn't leave until after 830 tonight.  I should have packed a bag and asked for a room to stay in!  Alas....I haven't checked my workout schedule, so I think tomorrow is just a fitlinxx workout.  Maybe a small run, but I'm sure it's nothing big since Saturday is my crazy long 21 miler.  I'll have to pack my workout bag though, since I have meetings running until late in the afternoon.

D has a couple Dr's appts tomorrow, so hopefully he'll be cleared to be taken off the meds that are making him so sick.  He doesn't seem to be suffering so much from the Crohn's pain as much as the side effects of the meds to combat the Crohn's.  Can't wait until he's back to normal!

So now...I need to wind down from a crazy day enough to get a good night's sleep so I can get up early tomorrow for another crazy day.  At least it's job security, which is an awesome thing.  Can't complain at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment