About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Need to Find the Balance Between Being Hydrated and Needing to Pee at 2am

I went to bed nice and early last night.  I crawled in bed around 8pm, and was out by 9.  D was very cute, snuggling with me until I fell asleep before he went back downstairs.  I woke up a bit when D came to bed at midnight (he stayed up to watch the meteor shower), but fell right back asleep.  I started tossing around 2am because I needed to go to the bathroom.  I drink a ton of water during the day, which I know is really good for me.  I'm always very cognizant to drink a lot of water on Friday nights especially so I don't feel dehydrated on a Saturday morning run.  Unfortunately, I end up being woken up in the middle of the night needing to pee!  And then I refuse to get out of bed because I'm afraid I'll "wake up", but then I just end up being mostly awake that much longer anyway, until I finally roll out of bed.  Sorry if that was TMI, but it is what it is, and that was me last night.

I woke up at 450 and decided to just get up before my alarm went off and disturbed D.  All of my stuff was already laid out, so all I had to do was get dressed and make a cup of coffee.  What I wanted for breakfast was some toast with sunflower butter and a banana.  Unfortunately, all my bananas were on the wrong side of ripe (better for banana bread or a smoothie, but not eating plain).  I ended up eating another tofu eggless salad sandwich.  I figured it was a good balance; protein from the tofu and whole grains from the toast.  I was right, and I felt well fueled.  I did start getting hungry around the 14 mile mark again though.  I read that fig newtons are a great mid-run snack, and I'm going to bring some on my 21 miler in 2 weeks and try that out. 

I walked out the front door at 610am.  I did a 1/4 mile warm up, and then took off down the road.  As I was hoping, the first part of the run that made me a little nervous - running down Centerville - but it wasn't too bad.  It was early enough where there wasn't a lot of traffic, so I was able to mostly run in the street.  I only had to go off into the grassy area for a couple of seconds at a time.  There was one strange moment though.  I was passing a Nursery, and there was a man in his car in the lot (I was running on the other side of the road, so I wasn't creeped out or anything).  Many of the local Nursery or produce stands leave melons, etc out and a lock box to put money in, operating on the honor system after closing hours.  Apparently this man was upset that no one was there to take his money (I mean really...it's 630am on a Saturday...who's going to be there?!?).  Anyway, he starts yelling to me - VERY rudely - asking me where everyone one is that works there.  Really?  How on earth would I possibly know that?  I told him as much, put my headphones back on, and kept going. 

My camelbak worked great.  I was drinking very liberally, knowing I had plenty of opportunity to refill it if I needed to.  At the 12 1/2 mile mark, I stopped at the 7-11 I was going past, enjoyed the AC for a few minutes, and bought a big bottle of water.  I went outside, sat on the grass in the shade for a couple minutes, filled up my bag, and then took back off.  Maybe I won't be able to take a 10 minute recharge break during the actual marathon, but today it was very nice!

Part of the run was a bit iffy, so I rerouted myself to stick to as many roads as possible that had sidewalks.  Running down Battlefield was certainly an adventure.  It's a very busy road, but it has sidewalks and crosswalks most of the way, so it was good.  The last part of Battlefield though, was bad (no sidewalks, no shoulder, and knee deep grass), and I don't ever want to run there again!  Once I turned down the main street heading towards my house, it was pretty good again.  Of course, because I cut out part of the run where I thought it would be dangerous, I had to add an unplanned loop through my neighborhood.  While I didn't feel like I was dying (thank you 7-11 break!), I was very happy to get home!

I walked up the driveway and saw A waving to me from her bedroom window.  D and M were playing video games, R was watching spongebob, and even Sammie - who normally is a very enthusiastic greeter whenever I come home (or anyone walks in the door...or near it...) was very subdued.  I probably smelled and that scared her!

After taking off my running gear and shoes, I decided to lie down on my bedroom floor before hitting the shower - I needed to cool off first.  While my legs were a little sore, it was the balls of my feet that were killing me.  It took a couple hours, but they finally stopped hurting.  The good news is that Bodyglide must have been invented by the Gods, and nothing chaffed.  The bad news is I got two new blisters.  Oh well.  Two steps forward, one step back.  They're not painful, so they shouldn't keep me from lacing up again Monday.  BUT..they're not cute, so I won't be wearing sandals to work either.

While I was in the shower, D took the older kids to the mall, and then went over to S's house to work on her computer issues.  After relaxing for a bit, R and I went over also to hang out for a bit.  After awhile, D had the computer working, and he took R home while S and I went and grabbed a beer and a late lunch (which was a veggie burger in hot sauce, french fries, and pretzel bites with mustard.  Not so much on the healthy side, but since I burned 2700 calories on my run I didn't even remotely feel guilty).

This run was a far cry different from my 17 miler 2 weeks ago.  That run felt fine while doing it, but I felt run down and pretty awful most of the rest of the day.  Not so today.  I was convinced that I would need a nap after, but instead I felt good and even left the house!  I got home around 5 and have been relaxing and watching TV.  D and I and S and her husband are going out to an 830 showing of The Expendables, which looks hilarious.  I think I'll stick to water and maybe a diet coke though, and let them drink the beer!  I may be feeling good, but I did get up just before 5am.  Even I have my limits!

No comments:

Post a Comment