About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Have I Mentioned...NO MORE SPEED WORKOUTS!

I realize I have been absent from my blog as of late.  The point was driven home even more so last night when my dad called to check up on me and see how things were since he hadn't seen a post in several days!  That's actually pretty cool....

My only good excuse is I've been busy.  With D's Crohn's flare-up, he needs to rest as much as possible (especially since he's still going to work every day), I'm doing the lion's share of all the "stuff" our family does.  I'm still getting in my workouts, but with so very little free time, I haven't kept up with updating my blog.

So, the week in a nutshell since last Wednesday???

Runs, Fitlinxx, work, cooking, chauffeuring the kids. 

The youngest two had dentist appointments on Friday, and the eldest today.  Good news is that all of their teeth are shiny and cavity free.  Bad news, is that my little one (who will be 7 in a few weeks) needs to see an orthodontist.  It's likely she'll need some teeth pulled, but until we have the consult, I really don't know much more.

Saturday was a wine party at a friend of ours.  D wasn't feeling up to it, so he was our designated driver.  We all went over to a different friends' house so A and M could babysit, then D took the adults to the party, and then went home to rest.  He then hoofed it all the way back to Norfolk to repeat the process in reverse.  Such a good guy!

Before the party, I went to Total Wine to hunt for a bottle to bring.  I've been particularly fond of Malbec's lately, so I was thinking of picking up either that or a bottle of Red Zinfandel.  (And B, if you're reading, Malbec is the wine we drank while watching Avatar when you were here, when you declared that you just may like red wine after all...)  Of course, going to Total Wine when you're a wine lover is like going to Home Depot when you're a tool lover!  Only in this case, you get a lot of free samples, and I don't think the hardware stores have picked up yet on giving away little miniature samples of wrenches and things....though I'd probably go just to get them.  My Dad has a big tool cabinet in his garage, and all the tools were always laid out meticulously and in order of size.  I used to gush over the "cute baby tools".  It annoyed him.  Anyway, I digress.  After sampling 6 different wines, I left with not only a Malbec for the party, but several other bottles of wine, a bottle of champagne, and a beer from Seattle I haven't seen in many years (for D when he's all better).  As it happens, I'm enjoying a nice class of Moscato right now!

Sunday was a disgustingly hot and muggy day.  I'm so over summer this year.  Fortunately, I didn't imbibe too much on Saturday, so I was in no need of "recovering" on Sunday.  I went to the gym and had a good workout while D took Sammie to the vet.

I forgot to mention a couple of weeks ago that my training plan has moved into the Stamina phase...which means no more of those awful sprint workouts until I train for my second marathon...which I haven't actually selected yet.  Which brings me to something else entirely.  I was assuming a few months ago that I would run the Chicago marathon, mark it off my list, and that would be the end of that.  In the beginning of my training program when I was inching to 10+ miles, I was thinking that my happy medium is a half-marathon, and after my full in October, I'd go back to the halves.  Now that I'm getting up there in mileage (15,17,19....21 this weekend), I realize that running that far isn't killing me, I don't actually hate it, and maybe I'll keep doing this.  Of course, I want to incorporate destination races as much as possible....like Disney, Vegas, Miami, NYC....who knows.  Maybe someday I'll qualify for Boston!   Ha.  That's actually kinda funny.  Don't think I'll ever run that fast.  But the point is, I may not be fast...but for some reason I can keep going.  I just realized as I'm typing that I am just like my favorite animal, the Penguin.  There is actually a running term for being a penguin runner, and that is me.  Essentially...have fun...don't die.

I'm trying to think what's been up in the cooking arena the past week.  I can tell you one thing though....eggs haven't been on the list in my house!  Not that I eat eggs anyway, but my family does.  Half a BILLION eggs recalled?  Maybe the disturbing practices of factory farming will start becoming public knowledge and we can end the madness.  These "farms" choose to pay millions of dollars in fines and penalties for unhealthy practices rather than clean up their acts because to fix the problems would cost more money than paying the bloody fines!  Sorry, preaching again, but the facts are that nothing good comes from factory farming.  Nothing at all.

But that is not the question I posed, was it?  I have been cooking some, but not a ton.  Tonight I'm making something I did a couple weeks ago from my Mediterranean vegan cookbook for tonight's meal.  Baked Sicilian style tomatoes and onions.  Sprinkled with some bread crumbs, olive oil, salt, pepper, and oregano, bake for an hour and a half at 350....and holy heaven on a fork. Sunday I made a marinated potato salad that was very simple, but tasty.  I honestly don't remember much before that!  I DID go out and buy a bottle of V8 for yummy bloody mary's though!

Tomorrow is a really long day (meetings until 730pm), so I'm going to do my run in the (gulp) morning.  It's only 3 miles, so it shouldn't be too tough.  I'll get up at 530 as usual, but just hit the office closer to 9 instead of earlier.

The next few weeks are going to be a whirlwind of activity.  The kids all have open houses at their respective schools, school itself starts, my last uber long run is this weekend, the Rock N Roll half-marathon, a weekend at the river with some friends (with kids, will be 12 of us), a trip to WI to visit family and attend a conference (where I have to give a presentation), a birthday party for my baby turning 7, and then off to Chicago to finally run this crazy thing!  Oy vey.  As for now....time for another glass of wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment