About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, August 9, 2010

Blister Bandaids are a Double Edged Sword

Sunday was a pretty lazy day.  So much so, that I don't think I actually went outside (which is very rare for me).  It was ugly hot, so all the more reason to stay inside.  I spent much of the day reading cookbooks, making a list of about 10 recipes of which I had all the ingredients, and ended up only having the energy to cook one thing (a lentil and brown rice dish from my Mediterranean vegan cookbook - awesome...especially with some hot sauce). 
D and I rented Clash of the Titans for us and The Tooth Fairy for the kids.  Like I said.  A lazy day.  I do have to say that while Clash of the Titans didn't suck...it wasn't great either.  It had the potential to be awesome...but wasn't. 

I put on a real pair of shoes today for work and wanted to cry.  Blisters suck.  I put on a pair of flats that look like ballet slippers, so they went with my outfit okay, and didn't hurt my feet.  It didn't scream "professional and powerful", but hey, it did scream "I'm not killing my feet!" either. 

Breakfast was some coffee, toast, and sunflower butter.  I was in a hurry (had to be to the office before 7am), so I wasn't in the mood for anything substantial.  Of course, I got hungry by 9, so I ate some lentils with hot sauce.  Fabulous (at only 93 calories!).    Just after noon, D and I met at Pizzeria Uno's for lunch.  I had a farro salad and roasted veggie wrap - both pretty tasty.  D had very little.  When he has a flare up, he can barely eat...and when he does, he hurts after.  It breaks my heart because there's nothing that can be done.  He feels like crap - but tries to hide it from everyone.  It doesn't work, even when he flashes his brilliant smile.  For dinner, I made a yummy vegan saffron arborrio Milanese, green beans, and marinated some tofu in an Asian marinade.  Of course, the tofu wasn't ready in time, so my meal was just the rice and green beans.  D made a charred log out of a pork tenderloin for the kids and him.  Apparently once he cut off the burnt coating, he said it was good.

The original plan was to have D take the kids to TKD and for me to go for my run after they got home.  He was looking a little rough, so I took the kids - did my run in the really nice area near their studio, and then came home to shower and have a glass of wine.  Before I left the house, I put these Band aid blister things on.  The blisters on my left foot aren't awful anymore, but there's one on my right that is still sore.  I put one of those blister barrier band aid thingies on it, and then my running shoes.  I could still feel it, but it wasn't bad enough to stop me from running. 

The run was great.  The first 10-15 minutes were a bit rough as I warmed up, but the rest was very enjoyable.  I listened to my audio book; book 5 in the series.  I ran in the direction of what I thought was a pretty subdivision I'd never run in before, but ended up on a long and empty road.  It was pretty and I could see the mcmansions, but mostly from a distance.  Mostly it was empty land...promises of a big and beautiful subdivision before the economy decided that excess was a bad thing.  Now it's just pretty green land.

I got home and took the band aid thingy off before getting in the shower.  It did a good job of keeping me from feeling my blister when I ran.  It also did a good job (insert sarcasm here) of ripping the healed skin right off my foot when I took it off.  So my blister sucks yet again.  I know.  Poor me :)

Now it's time to relax and get ready for bed.  Lots of meetings tomorrow and tons of work to get done.  Can't complain though, job security!

Tomorrow is a cross train day.  I'm going to take the kids to the Y for some Fitlinxx workouts and then swimming.  I'm fairly positive that D won't be coming to the gym with us for a couple of weeks.  But that's okay...when he's all better....I'll kick his butt into coming with us again!

No comments:

Post a Comment