About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sake and Speedwork...But Not Neccesarily In That Order

Today was a good day.  To clarify....I woke up with no cheap-wine leftovers!  I had a couple meetings and one long work session - but it was productive and very good, so I can't complain at all.  I could probably complain about the heat...which is stifling...but everyone is having that problem it seems, so still no whining from me (especially since it's a speed workout day, which means treadmill anyway).

Between meetings, I stopped at Pasha's in Chesapeake - it's a Turkish/Mediterranean diner.  I picked up an Anatolian wrap and some lentil soup to go.  It was fabulous, healthy, and provided some great energy for later.  I think it's related to Pasha Mezze in Ghent - which is a nice eat-in Turkish restaurant that the girls and I have frequented (thanks to L and her all-knowing Norfolk-ness).  They have great food.  And martini's.

At my team meeting/project planning/work session, I brought a ton of fruit for the group (cantaloupe sliced with my totally AWESOME slicer...in about 4 seconds!, cherries, strawberries, and apples). Aside from that, I had a Clif bar for breakfast, which always makes for a quick meal on the go when I'm too busy to actually plan anything.  Of course with A eating them too, I'm now out and have to go back to the store to pick some up (Trader Joe's has them the cheapest at 99 cents).  I'll never make it through my 13 miler this weekend without Clif bars.

After work, I picked up R and went home.  I wanted to run my 3 miles of sprints as early in the evening as possible.  I'd like to say it's because I want to make dinner, etc...it's really because I wanted to get it over with as soon as possible so I could enjoy my evening!  I got it done around 6, which left a lot of the evening for me.  I'm experiencing something strange though, and not sure if it's normal of not (having no real experience with the whole idea of running quickly in short bursts!)....I find the first 3 sprints or so to be awful, and I contemplate quitting and pretty much resigning myself to walking the marathon....and then I find that not only can I NOT quit (primarily because I'd have to admit it here...in writing), but I actually don't struggle with the later sprints.  What's up with that?  Did my coffee take a bit to kick in (and yes...I'm dosing on caffeine before each sprint workout.  It's legal as far as I know)?  So by the time I got to the 6th-12th quarter mile sprints, I was feeling good.  Sweaty...but good.  I finished up my sprint workout just as D was walking in the door (we had a few IT issues from the data center today - probably the nutty heat - and he's on call and had to get some work stuff worked out before coming home).  He commented on how sweaty I looked.  Yummy, I'm sure.
After my sprints, I did my belly ball workout.  It's a perfect workout...it's about 15 minutes, twinges a little bit, and I'll be sore tomorrow.  Somewhere under my existing belly, I imagine I have abs of steel!  Someday, I'll see them.

When I got home, M came running up and asked when we were going to the Y again.  I'm very happy that he's excited to workout.  At 13, the last thing I was thinking about was working out.  Anyway, Friday is the scheduled day, but it seems that A and M will be testing for their Yellow Belts, so maybe we'll go tomorrow instead.  I have to run 40 minutes, and since it'll be retardedly hot again, I'll need a treadmill anyway.  Might as well use theirs.  Unike mine, they have TV's attached.  That's pure genius.  D mentioned that he was a wee sore from last night - but not in a bad way.  In a good way that's a result of working out, but not so hard that you can't move.  I'm happy for both my boys.

D took A and M to TKD while I made dinner.  And drank Sake.  Have I mentioned how much I really like Sake??  I had it for the first time in April when B (my sister in law) was here.  We went out with some of my friends, and when we stopped for sushi before bar hopping, some unfiltered sake was ordered (which is white...and sort of similar to beer...and cold...and very, very yummy).  I was the designated driver, so I had a sip....and then bought a bottle the next day for B and I to enjoy in the evenings!  I've had the same bottle since she was here, and decided that I couldn't stomach any wine, and wasn't in the mood for a beer.  Do here I have the big bottle of Sake...and found that my espresso cup was a perfect vessel!

Dinner was grilled chicken for the family, for me it was some soy chickn nuggets (was too lazy to make anything real), and we all had basmati rice in my new rice cooker, and some green beans.  Yummy.

Now I'm watching the Real Housewives of New Jersey (which is ridiculously hilarious.  Teresa is my favorite if anyone cares), and catching up on emails before going to bed.  Tomorrow should be a good day for the most part, but there's one meeting I'm a little apprehensive about.  I guess we'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment