About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Friday, July 2, 2010

Poopy Mood + Coffee = Easy Running

Yesterday I took a day off from working out.  I don't feel I slacked though, because I did my Thursday workout on Wednesday.  It's all good!

Work was good. A few meetings, but none were bad at all.  I went out to lunch with a few guys from work - yummy Mexican food!  There was a food mix up, but for once it didn't involve me!  Typically, I order a taco or enchilada that is beans only - no cheese.  Almost always it confuses the heck out of them, and I end up with something I can't eat.  Not this time!  Though one of my friends ordered a shrimp chimichanga and got a chicken one.  After work, a few of the girls (5 of us actually), went to Tortilla West for after work drinks.  While I LOVED the place (thanks L!!), it was a pain in the tuckas to find.  The roads over there all seem to end and not go through to other parallel roads.  Darla got me lost a few time (she's my GPS...hence no need to abbreviate her name), and I was thoroughly cussing by the time I found it.  It was worth it though - the music was amazing (Pixies, Depeche Mode, New Order, Nine Inch Nails, Yaz!) and the plantains weren't half bad.  The margaritas were a little rough - the sour was too much for me - so switched to beer.

I guess my husband put a link to my blog on Reddit, and I got quite a few hits today from all over the world.  So thank you Redditors!  It was neat seeing how many of you read about my adventures...

Today was a good day at work.  I was at one of the hospitals all day, and thanks to my friend A who took off for a long weekend vacation in MI, I had the use of her office.  My morning meeting was actually fabulous.  Everyone was happy - even thrilled - and that was unusual.  I grabbed a falafel wrap and lentil soup for lunch from Azars...another favorite of mine...and headed back for another meeting.  This one was also good - productive - but the project is a behind.  This was our "reset" meeting, and I hope things get back on track. 

Aside from a pleasant work day - heck, a pleasant work WEEK - I was in a horrible mood.  That doesn't happen too often, but when it does, watch out.  Not much was going to make me happy.  S tried very hard to distract me by inviting me over for grilling, a drink, and a fire.  I really would have gone (especially since she's heading on vacation), but I would have made horrible company.  I had decided on my drive home that I probably shouldn't be around anyone, so planned to do my Saturday long run this evening.  I also decided that since coffee worked so well for me on Wednesday, I should try it again.  So....I walked in the door (barely saying hello to D to be honest except to say I was going to run....for 11 mi), changed into my running gear, made a cup of java, ate a clif bar, said goodbye to A (she was off to the mall and overnight to a friend's house), and took off to the canal trail.

It's weird....but the 11 miles felt easy as hell.  That's a first.  I have been enjoying my runs on a more frequent basis (okay, maybe not the sprints, and definitely not my hamster workouts, but when I can run outside, I'm happy).  I put on my headphones (it helps that the book series I am listening too is wildly entertaining - I'm almost embarrassed to say what it is - but it's the True Blood series that the cable show is based on), strapped on my water bottle belt, and took off.  I hit the half way mark at 5.5 miles and felt wonderful.  My pace was faster - so the sprints may actually be serving their intended purpose.  Or my Clif bar and coffee combo kicked butt.  I didn't dwell at all on the things that are causing my poopy mood, and the only thing I thought about - other than my book - was that at some point I should feel tired, or sore, or spent...but I didn't.  Don't get me wrong, I was happy when I hit the end of my run - but not because I was fading quick and wanted it to be over.  I hope all my long runs feel like this.  I think I've mentioned it before, and heaven help me that I'm actually articulating this out loud, but I think I'm meant to run longer distances more than shorter ones.  Okay, now that I've said that, it probably isn't true...but my long runs have been feeling more and more comfortable than my shorter ones.  So what is the moral of this story???  I'm going to need to be really pissed off on marathon day :) 

So now I'm clean (I showered), relatively happy thanks to running endorphins, and likely to go to bed soon.  I'm taking A and a friend to Busch Gardens tomorrow...where I'll spend the day with my Kindle catching up on both book club books - The Bourne Identity, and Mad Cowboy. 

So good night.  I think I'll sleep well tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment