About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

More Beer Is Sold on July 4th Than Any Other Day of the Year

You can all thank my Dad for that bit of trivia!  And I did contribute a wee bit - but only 1 bottle's worth.

The past few days have been busy.  I need a day off from my weekend - and work was a bit of a blessing today!  On the 4th, all of us (me, D and the kids) went up to Busch Gardens.  A and M did their thing, and D and I chased R around the kid play area and on a few rides.  We got up there around 4, which left us a few hours to walk around before the fireworks started.  Even though they experienced "technical difficulties", they went off about 15 minutes late - but were worth it.  The show was amazing and worth the wait.  Of course, now that the day is over, I can say the whole trip was worth the wait...including the 30 minutes it took us to walk to the van once the fireworks ended, and the additional 50 minutes it took to get out of the parking lot and onto the interstate.  At the time...I felt like cattle (or how I assume they must feel).  Fortunately, the drive home was again easy going, and we were in bed just after 1am. 

I woke up around 830 on Monday morning to Sammie doing her bark-thing-to-get-fed.  Everyone eventually rolled out of bed (well...after I woke them all up), and we proceeded to get ready for another theme park adventure day.  We changed into our bathing suits and drove  BACK to Williamsburg (shoot me), this time for Watercountry USA.  We arrived at noon, and stayed until 330.  Since we have the passes, I don't think we wasted anything by only staying a few hours.  It was stupid-hot (IS stupid-hot), and I always worry about 1-sunburn and 2-heat exhaustion when at waterpark/pools/beaches in any extreme heat.  After we left, we hit a restaurant we frequent pretty much every time we're up there, and then headed home.  There was a bit of sticky traffic in Newport News, but otherwise not bad at all.  We got home around 630, and I started drinking a really cheap bottle of wine S and I picked up at Whole Foods in Richmond when we went to the Vegetarian Festival.  I wasn't paying too much attention, and nearly drank the entire bottle.  Oops.  At least I got to catch up on 2 episodes of So You Think You Can Dance!  D and I went to bed and I fell asleep after about 5 minutes of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. 

Morning came too early, and while I would not say I was hungover....I certainly wasn't entirely myself either.  I think a combination of excessive activity, less water than I normally drink, and...yes...a cheap as heck bottle of wine, the last think I wanted to do was leave at 715am to head to work.  Alas, that's exactly what I did.  After 3 quick meetings at one building, I headed to my office for the day.  I worked on one of the simpler tasks I need to get done so I wouldn't have to think too much!  By the time my last meeting rolled around (4pm), I was feeling almost like myself.

So what was the best part of today??  Going to the gym with almost my entire family!  A stayed home - she didn't want to hang out in the Interactive Zone unless M was going to be there...and he and D were meeting with trainers to get set up on the Fitlinxx weight lifting machines.  It worked out great....R went into the Play Zone at the Y, I jumped on the fitlinxx machines to do my circuit workout, and D and M met with the trainers to get set up...then...(and this is the best part)...they stayed to do their circuit!  I honestly wasn't expecting it...but was proud of them both.  D has talked about working out for awhile, but I know how hard it is to get a fitness program started.  It takes a lot of effort and time that most people (myself included) would rather sit and watch TV instead.  So, that was pretty cool.  I envision family workout trips!  Okay...getting ahead of myself.  It was still pretty cool though.

Then we went to dinner at Pirate's Cove.  Never been before, but D was looking for something light (too much theme park food wreaks havoc on a belly), and we opted for a seafood place we'd never been to.  I checked the menu, and I had a Greek salad (no feta) and a plain baked potato with loads of hot sauce (new for me, but I'm hooked...).  And hush puppies.  Way too many of the best hush puppies I think I've ever had.

So now we're home, and I'm going to head to bed early.  I have another long day tomorrow, but that's okay with me.  Besides..it's a speedwork day, and I need to be VERY well rested to not hate that workout.

Oh yeah...quick update on my book club books.  I'm no 56% completed (per my Kindle) on The Boune Identity.  We're doing a backyard movie night screening on the 17th, so I gotta get that knocked out.  I also finished the first 3 chapters of Mad Cowboy by Howard Lyman...which I am loving, by the way.  This one is for an online book club for my very favorite vegan magazine VegNews.  I'm also half-way through the 3rd True Blood book Club Dead on audio (which I'll ONLY listen to while working out - I think that's the real reason I keep lacing up my shoes...this series is fully addicting). 

So now I'm off to bed early, hoping to make it through another 5 minutes of Mr. and Mrs. Smith before falling asleep again.

Talk to you all tomorrow after I do 12...repeat TWELVE quarter mile repeats!  Ugh...just going to keep repeating my new mantra...."running a marathon will be fun...running a marathon will be easy...I'm going to love it...and this was the best idea I've ever had"....(maybe I'll believe it after a while!)

No comments:

Post a Comment