About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Friday, July 30, 2010

It Turns Out Blueberries AREN'T Awful

Hands down the best part of my day - and I overall had a REALLY good day....was this morning before work.  I was sitting on my bed with my youngest and combing her hair while she's watching the Electric Company.  The BEST song came on, called "Silent e is a Ninja".  It's awesome and was in my head all day.  I rewound it twice just so D could watch it - who then went downstairs to download it for me and email it to me!  It has nothing to do with running or eating, but it was just so much fun that I had to mention it.

Breakfast was some Irish steel cut oatmeal with a couple blueberries in them.  I've decided that I need to like blueberries.  They're considered one of the earth's most amazing super foods, and I pretty much eat every fruit and vegetable I can get my hands on.  My dad seemed almost appalled that no one in my family eats blueberries (unless it's a blueberry muffin). 

A few years ago, I started watching a TV show on BBC America called You Are What You Eat.  It's hilarious, but very, very poignant.  It's about a "holistic nutritionist" in England named Gillian McKieth who goes into people's houses that have severe weight problems and shreds them; she analyzes everything they eat for a week, is very NOT nice to them, and gets them on a healthy path.  While it's funny in some ways (mainly the things she says), what she's saying is very true.  Even D would watch it with me, and the kids always found it fun too.  She has a few books, and I bought one of them.  She states over and over again (as she does in her show) that a person can like ANY food as long as they try it enough times and it's prepared right.  I decided to put that to the test when I started eating mushrooms.  I've hated them my whole life, and just 2 years ago found that I can like them if they're made certain ways, and now mushrooms are a regular part of mine (and therefore my families) diets. 

So..short story made long (I get THAT from my Dad too!), I decided it was time to do that with blueberries too.  I started by throwing a few in my oatmeal this morning, and it was quite honestly very tasty.  So I brought the rest of them to work and put them on my desk so if I got hungry, that was my snack.  They were actually quite good.  Wow.  Long winded story about blueberries, sorry!

I had lunch with my friend L at a sushi place near the office.  It was good - especially the asparagus one.  I had miso soup and edamame as well. 

After work I went to yoga, which I had been really wanting to do.  I'm glad I went and it was a great class.  She didn't have the heat on since it's been so brutal outside (even tough today it was only in the upper 80's), so it was a nice change from my typical hot class to luke warm.

I got home and made a smoothie of pineapple, strawberries, banana, soy milk, and coconut milk.  VERY good!  Then the rest of us were off to the Y for Fitlinxx fun.  It was a good workout, and a clean day of eating.  After the Y we went to Subway.

Tomorrow I'm scheduled to run 17 miles!  Longest ever, which is crazy.  I know my last really long run I didn't fuel well the night before, so I wanted to make sure I did a better job today.  I think I have.  My plan is to get up early, eat, have some coffee and water, and hopefully hit the trails by 730 am.  I'm REALLY hoping the weather tomorrow is just like the weather today.

So that's it.  It's 9pm on a Friday, and all I want to do is go to bed so I can run half my day away tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment