About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, July 19, 2010

I Saw a Guy in a Space Suit!!!

I apologize for my nearly week long absence.  It's been a tough week!  Aside from it being way too hot and having to do all my workouts indoors, I felt very run down a few days last week, and didn't have much energy left.  By Friday evening, I wondered how I could be that exhausted and still functional.

So to recap as much as I can.  I don't remember Thursday - sorry.  I didn't write on my calendar what I did either, so chalk it up to short term memory loss.  I probably cooked, but can't recall what.  I know we didn't do take out or go out, so apparently it wasn't too memorable either.  Or it was and it's my short term memory problem :)

Friday sucked a lot.  I felt pretty awful all day, and it ended up being a really long day.  My first meeting of the morning included my boss....she took one look at me and asked me why I didn't go home (apparently I looked like a truck ran me over or something).  I explained that I had too much WORK to do, and would try and rest on Sunday.  I have a lot of new things going on at work, and while I'm really loving it - and getting to work with someone that I've known for almost 7 years but never actually had the pleasure of working along side - it's pretty exhausting.  I'm in full-blown discovery mode right now, and just trying to absorb a lot so I can do a good job.  Anyway, I digress.  I was really exhausted on Friday, and had a hard time staying upright.  I made it through all my meetings, and got home around 630 pm.  I'm pretty sure I didn't cook, though again I didn't to take out.  Must have found left overs.  Lucky kids.  I feel bad because a friend of mine invited me to go out, and I really wanted to go, but I was just wiped.  I think I fell asleep around 930, which was much later than I thought I'd be awake.  I fell asleep during my 3rd attempt to watch the NCIS season finale from May.  Oh Gibbs, what happened?  Did you get busted for killing that guy 20 years ago?  I still don't know...

Oh, and I had a mini-meltdown on Friday with D.  He was great though, and knows I'm just exhausted and spent.  I'm having a hard time cooking several meals each night, working, and doing my crazy workouts.  Thank goodness he takes the kids to EVERYTHING, but the multiple meals are killing me.  I spend most of my energy making them something - and I end up with crackers and hummus, partial and unbalanced meals, or nothing for dinner because I'm too tired and it's too late.  I declared that either he had to start cooking, or they all needed to start eating more like me.  His answer...a little bit of both!  It was the right answer when I needed to hear it, but thus far it hasn't materialized into actually helping cook or eating my hippie food (though in his defense, my most recent hippie dish has sauerkraut and I am the ONLY person who will eat that).

Saturday I felt a bit better.  I cleaned all morning to get ready for a book club movie screening in our backyard.  D did some yard work and fixed one of the toilets, and then we went to a friend's house to swim for a bit.  We got home around 4, ordered pizza (see, the fog is lifting!).  I cleaned WAY too much to dirty up my kitchen!  I started feeling wiped again around 6 and made an espresso yummy thing.  I'm starting to worry a bit that I feel like falling asleep by 2pm every day lately.  S doesn't think I'm fueling enough to support my workout habit.  She may be right, and I'm documenting more closely everything I'm eating.  I'll have to keep track of that.  I also have to have some blood work repeated this week from my physical, and that may have something to do with my tired problems.

Our book club read The Bourne Identity, and we did a movie screening at my house for our backyard movie night.  I won't go into too many details (though it was a lovely evening to be outside), the movie was nothing like the book.  The 2 main characters had the same name.  That's pretty much it.  My Dad said there's a version from the 80's that has Richard Chamberlain that seemed to more closely follow the book.  I think I'll order it from Netflix and see.  D, S, and our friend D couldn't get past the differences to appreciate the book.  About a third of the way through reading it myself, I had to totally separate them as very different things - just with the same name.  I think it was the only way I could appreciate the book.  I spent most of the movie texting with my sister, which was pretty cool.

Sunday was a lovely day.  A went to a friends house to go swimming and then with some TKD friends to see a movie.  D and M went to lunch and then to see Inception (which they both declared as amazing).  R and I went to the gym, the grocery, and then came home and snuggled on the couch with Bumble (the cat).  I made a crock pot vegan tempeh Hungarian goulash which was simply awesome!  It was tempeh, sauerkraut, onions, tomatoes, caraway seeds, and some seasoning.  In the end, mixed in some Tofutti Sour Cream (vegan tofu-based sour cream), and it was really tasty.  I made a totally ghetto dinner for D and the kids, but it went over well and was easy for me.  Since I did the cooking, they just had to deal.

Today was a pretty good day.  I had meetings (as always.  I once read a joke that said the human race will never reach it's evolutionary potential due to one thing.  Meetings.  I believe it.).  D left work early not feeling well, and I was worried about him.  He's feeling much better, which is good.  It means not a flare up, which I am very grateful for.

Breakfast was oatmeal and a peach.  For lunch I had reheated goulash with rice, and then some cherries.  Afternoon snack was popcorn (and yes...a couple of Twizzlers).  Dinner was goulash again.  After my 40 minute run, I had wine!  Good day :)

So on my way home I saw a guy in a space suit walking down a major road in Chesapeake.  I guess it's technically a sauna suit, but it was hilarious.  It's 105 degrees, full humidity, and here's this man - about 50 years old, chubby, with a full mop of curly hair and a big mustache - walking down Battlefield Blvd with a bright blue sauna shirt and silver pants.  I started laughing out loud, and then worried that 1) he'd have a heat stroke and 2) he thought what he was doing was healthy. 

This week is going to be a short one.  I'm going to NYC!  For the first time!  I'm very excited about it.  We're leaving around 3 on Thursday afternoon and will be back Sunday evening.  My brother-in-law's Aunt is very generously letting us use her (very nice) Manhattan apartment while we're there.  A went back in May on a school trip, and D has been there visiting his brother (who now lives in CA).  O's fiance will be there, so the kids and I get to meet her finally (D's met her before).  It'll be nice getting to meet her BEFORE she marries into our family!  I'm not sure all we're going to do, but N has picked out a macrobiotic vegan restaurant to have lunch in on Saturday.  And I plan to do a nice long run in Central Park (during the day of course.  I watch Law and Order).

So for now, I'm going to get the monkey's (and myself) into bed.  I'm looking forward to this week...mainly because it'll be a short one.  Tomorrow is a gym day, so that'll be cool with all of us going. 

Good night.  I will try and post more this week - even if briefly while in NYC.  I tend to do my one liner updates on Twitter instead of my blog (since I apparently feel the need to write a novella when I do these). 

No comments:

Post a Comment