About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

I Can't Add

I switched my Friday and Thursday workouts, so I took Friday as a rest day.  I'm glad I did, because it was a long day at work.  I started out in Norfolk with meetings, then Chesapeake, and then a late in the day meeting in Suffolk.  While they all went pretty well, it was none the less a pain in the neck to do all that moving around.  Oh well.  I had to swing by the grocery on the way home because no one (aka...ME) figured out what to do for dinner.  I love D very much, but he never helps plan dinner!  Suffice to say, I was irritated by the time I got home, started cleaning and picking up around the house, and then cooking.  Well, as usual I made dinner for everyone else, and I reheated the Dal soup I made for the second time that day.  I had coffee and Ezekiel toast with sunflower butter for breakfast, some coleslaw and Dal soup for lunch, and Dal soup for dinner.  I went to bed early.  Really early.

I had planned to wake up at 5am to get my run done nice and early before the heat of the day set in.  I was scheduled to run 13 miles today and knew it would take me a couple of hours.  Alas.  I set the alarm on my phone to wake me up so it wouldn't disturb D.  Either I forgot to actually turn the alarm on, or (much more likely scenario), I turned it off after it went off and promptly ignored it by going back to bed.  I slept like poo last night, so I imagine it was my subconscious telling me I should not attempt such severe movement until I had more sleep.

I woke about 7 and seriously considered for about 2 minutes staying in bed.  I was so tired, and for about 30 seconds, I thought of skipping my run and doing it tomorrow.  I knew I'd just be angry at myself, so I rolled out of bed, got dressed in my running clothes, and made a cup of coffee.  I planned to run down by the oceanfront today for a change of scenery.  I was nervous about not having any Clif Bars or Gu left, but had a plan to get them before my run.  I also had (thought) I left my iPod at my office yesterday, so after my coffee and slamming a cup of water, I stopped at 7-Eleven for a Clif Bar and then headed to my office.  Turns out I did NOT leave my iPod there, and found it in my purse after I got back into the van.  I guess I should have actually looked there first.  Oh well.  I knew that Final Kick Sports opens at 7am on Saturdays because they host group runs, so I headed there to buy my Gu's (can only find them in sport stores).  I decided to skip the oceanfront since it was drizzling and would just delay my run, so I stayed at Final Kick's parking lot and ran in First Landing State Park.

On the way there, I figured out how far I would have to run before turning around.  I laced up, put on my water bottle belt thing, and took off.  I'd like to say it was the impact of it being the morning and still a bit tired, but the fact of the matter is I just can't add.  I never could.  I figure that's why we invented calculators, so I wouldn't have to be bothered with mundane things such as adding and subtracting.  Today, I regretted not being a better math student.  Allow me to explain.  I was scheduled to run a 13 miler today.  I was already pretty peeved knowing that I was going to run a half marathon today...and not get a T-Shirt or anything because of it.  I was doing it NOT for a race or event like I always have before, and I've never run this far for "fun".  I understand intellectually that 13 miles is 13 miles.  If I run at an event like the Shamrock or the OBX, there's something about the crowds and people all around that carry you through when you feel overwhelmed.  I felt daunted by today.  No crowds, no people around me doing the exact same thing inspiring me to keep going.  It was all me.  But I digress....

On my way to my run, I figured that I'd have to run 7.5 miles out before I could turn around.  So I left the Final Kick parking lot, walked about a half mile to warm up, started up my Garmin, and took off.  I can just hear all your brains clicking and adding (correctly) what 7.5 + 7.5 is.  As it turns out, those two numbers do NOT add up to 13....and I didn't figure that out until I had gone out 7.5, turned around, and started completely suffering at mile 10.  Holy Poo.  13 was bad enough.  But I was going to go 15 (16 really if you count that initial .5 mile warm-up too).  As soon as I figured it out, my heart sunk, I felt like a total moron, and I started walking.  My whole body was hurting - my hips, legs, and feet.  I felt the beginning of a blister on my left heel, and wanted to find some way to teleport back to my vehicle so I could go home.  Oh, and my iPod!  My book finished right about at mile 11.  I was psyched to start the next one, but my iPod controls wouldn't respond.  I tried multiple times, but to no avail.  So the last several miles were a nightmare of no audio book too. 

I must say that I felt quite a bit like a failure on today's run.  The first 8-10 miles I felt pretty good, but then just hit a major wall.  I walked most of the rest, with a few bursts of running in between - but there were very few.  Around mile 14, I called D.  Even he said I sounded pathetic (okay, I'm paraphrasing...I really think he said I sounded rough or miserable or something...but I felt pathetic).  By the time I got back to my van, I could barely walk.  What the heck was wrong with me?  I just did 11 miles last Friday, and felt great the whole time!  Granted, I was a bit sore the next day, but not the day OF the run.  I started doubting that I could ever run 26.2 miles - especially in the morning.  I'm not built for activity in the mornings.  I'm not well hydrated, blah blah blah.  As I was driving the the Asian Market on VB Blvd (I am out of Sake, after all), a few things dawned on me.  1 - half my run ended up on the beach.  That just sucks.  For anyone who hasn't run on the beach, the ground sinks and doesn't bounce you back up - so you use twice the energy at least.  And sand gets in your shoes, which really, really stinks.  I'm wondering if those couple of miles where I ran out of trail and ended up running in sand (though it was GORGEOUS) had anything to do with my misery.  2 - I never really pay attention to what I eat the day before I do a long run.  Maybe it isn't being afflicted with negative-morning-syndrome...but the fact that I didn't fuel for crap last night.  No carbs like pasta or anything.  I had a bowl of pea soup and that was it.  So after I had some time to think, I didn't feel like as much of a failure as I did in the middle of my 16 miler.  Which, by the way, I don't really get credit for.  Ugh.

I got home and aside from being really hungry, I was really sticky and spent a long time in the shower.  Then I crawled into bed and watched TV.  A lot of TV.  This was after lecturing A on the importance of doing really well in math.  I think she called me a loser.  At this point, I can't really remember.

D eventually joined me and we watched a couple shows.  Around 4, he made a pot of coffee, and we both felt much more human.  Pretty much all my soreness had gone away, and we decided to go see a movie!  We saw Knight and Day, which was quite fun and entertaining.  Now we're home, I'm enjoying a cup of Sake, and we're going to watch a movie.  With any luck, I'll sleep past 7 tomorrow!

S got home tonight from her vacation and we're going to meet tomorrow for Bloody Mary Sunday.  Sammie (my pups) has a bath appt at 10, so timing is perfect.  Even though it's a rest day, I'm hoping to get my Fitlinxx done, but I'm not sure if I should work any leg muscles after today.  The strength you get from working out actually occurs on the days you rest - because when you work out, you tear up all your muscles.  On the rest days, they rebuild - and muscles become stronger.  The biggest mistake you can make is to never rest.  Then again...I'm probably just talking myself into taking another day off!

No comments:

Post a Comment