About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ha Ha, Fate, I Tempt You!!!

NO POISON IVY FOR ME!!!!

Yes, I ran through First Landing State Park...even though last time I got poison ivy and I think I had planned on not going there again for a long time.  But I tempted fate, and this time was victorious! 

So I went to bed fairly early last night.  I didn't sleep all that great, but it wasn't too bad.  My alarm started going off at 5am!  I played snooze tag once, and woke at 505 (cell phone snooze is only 5 minutes!).  D heard it and started mumbling something incoherent, which just made me giggle.  I got up, changed, and made a cup of joe.  Breakfast was two pieces of wheat toast with sunflower butter and sliced banana.  I think it was perfect, and I had good energy today.

I still wasn't sure when I got up today where I was going to run (D and I were going to do some research last night, but I think I was in such a hurry to get to bed early, that I totally spaced it).  It's not easy to find a safe and long enough place to run 17 miles, so I went to mapmyrun.com to see if I could find anything.  It was a comedy of issues this morning, and I finally got so frustrated that I took off for the VB location.  I wanted to run closer to home, but had no idea how to pound out that many miles without getting either lost, running somewhere dangerous, or having to repeat a loop.  Using the desktop, I actually found a 16.5 mile loop in Chesapeake that went past the golf course my Dad and I went to, so I knew there were sidewalks and a relatively safe place (from traffic) to run.  Unfortunately, I couldn't print because my desktop has been slowly dying and it picked this moment to die on me again.  I went and grabbed the laptop, and turns out that it's not set up to print yet, so I was totally hosed.  I grabbed my keys at 645 and headed to VB. 

I was on the trail by around 730 after picking up some Gu's at Final Kick.  I saw one of my trainers from the Shamrock training group, so that was fun.  The weather was also beautiful.  It was in the mid-70's when I took off, and quite honestly - it never got to the point where it felt hot to me.  The canopy of the trees at the park kept too much of the direct sunlight hitting me a great deal of the time, and the light breeze felt wonderful.  It's been one of the only days this entire summer where running was comfortable during the day.

I had a really good attitude going into today's run, and it's amazing what a difference it made.  I wasn't scared - even though I've never gone this far before - and was determined to not let the distance play head games with me.  I blasted some loud music on the way to the trail head, and couldn't help but be in a good mood.  I was excited to run, and overall really just had a good time.  I was able to stop at a few of the visitor centers and fill up my water bottles, so I was certainly very well hydrated.  I took my Gu's at about 1 hr intervals, and had good energy.  I did feel kinda hungry after 12-13 miles, but not so much so that it was distracting. 

The trail has things called Healthtrek's, which are sporadic workout "stations" about every 1/4 mile or so, and I stopped and did a few of those.  They were things like stretching stations, pull ups (did NOT do those!), ab workouts, etc.  I know it wasn't necessarily in the interest of running my best time, but it WAS in the interest in running my best overall.  It took 3hrs and 38 minutes.  Not fast, but not too shabby!

By the time I got home, I was starving.  I played the "I'm too tired from running" card, so D went and bought me a wrap and a smoothie!  Right before he left, the cookbook from Candle Cafe came, so I read that after my shower and waiting for my lunch.  Unfortunately, the smoothie place was busy, so D was gone longer than anticipated, and I had plans to take M and R to the movies to see Despicable Me.  I ended up eating on the way and drinking my smoothie while there.  It was a cute movie, and the kids seemed to enjoy it.

Dinner was some soup and a coleslaw recipe from a blog I follow.  I mainly made it because it calls for horseradish, which my Dad thinks is a key ingredient in coleslaw.  It was actually good, except it was too saucy for me.  I added twice the amount of cabbage, ended up needing a bit more salt, but was overall quite tasty.

I got home and watched TV upstairs for a bit, and then got an invite from S for a bite and a beer, which seemed like a totally perfect idea.  So we went to Kelly's sat outside in the gorgeous evening, and had a couple beers.  After, I swung by the grocery to grab a few things (I want to make this vegan lasagna from my new cookbook!), and now I'm home getting ready for bed.  Of course I had to write this entry first, but now that it's done, I'm totally going to bed!  Getting up a 5am (okay, okay....505!) can wipe a girl out.  Maybe that 17 mile run had something to do with it too....

No comments:

Post a Comment