About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, June 6, 2010

What Do You Mean It's Sunday???

Where the heck did the weekend go??  My husband said something to that effect to me today, and he's right.  I can't believe that it's 10pm on a Sunday.  I think it has something to do with this being  a more frenetic weekend than is even normal for us.  Usually Friday nights are pretty low key, Saturday mornings and afternoons are busy, and Sunday's are a wind down today.  NO winding down this weekend, so it doesn't feel like I actually had a weekend.

I mentioned before that we went out Friday.  D and I don't go out all that often, so that threw us a bit.  Saturday was massive cleaning...not the regular weekly cleaning, but more like the quarterly cleaning, so that, going to the gym, and moving office stuff took up the whole of Saturday.  Today I woke up early - just before 7.  Made coffee, had a light breakfast of a rice cake with sunflower seed butter, and went to go run my missed 3 miler from Friday.  I went to a trail at 9am, had a really great run, went to the grocery, stopped off at my new office to drop off the PC and my last box, then hit what is becoming a regular Bloody Mary Sunday with S.  No sooner did I get my spicy bloody mary and place my veggie burger order, then my cell rings with my Dad telling me he missed his scheduled exit and was sitting at an abandoned BP and needed rescuing (and arrived about 3 hours earlier than I planned, but that was fully ok).  As it turns out, that BP was about 6 blocks from the Bloody Mary Spot, so I went to him and guided him to my house.  Of course I went BACK, had a new bloody mary (my original had gotten a bit watered down), ate my veggie fun, and came back home.

The biggest reason for my Dad's visit was to bring me a car for my currently 15 year old child.  It's a bright red and shiny Volkswagen Beetle - diesel - and it got about 40 mpg on the drive down here from WI.  My dad and husband took A out driving quite a few times this afternoon - around the block..then around the neighborhood..then to the grocery store.  Apparently she did a fabulous job and is likely going to be a great driver.  I figure I'll drive with her when she's 20 or so...

The rest of the day was very nice.  Dad had a few gin and tonics, we watched most of Iron Man, and just sat in the living room and talked (mostly listening to his plethora of stories).  He took a brief nap (after having driven straight through for 19 hours, I imagine he was exhausted) while I made dinner.  I made pork chops in a mushroom gravy, mashed potatoes, sauteed mushrooms, cauliflower with cheese sauce, and biscuits.  I think my dad was happy to have a warm meal after a day and a half of coke and sandwiches.  We spent the rest of the evening either sitting outside talking, or watching DC United play a tie game with Real Salt Lake, then some Blackhawks hockey.  Around 1015, D and I decided it was a work/school night, and we better get to bed!  I have off quite a bit between now and when he leaves on the 18th, so I'll get to spend some time with him.  He did bring me a present (thanks to my mother)...GOLF CLUBS.  I have ALWAYS wanted to learn how to golf - even tried last year with my friend C.  We signed up for classes through the City of Chesapeake - and it got canceled due to insufficient students.  I know a few people who play, and H took me out once last year to let me hit her clubs at a golf range, and it was fun (she said I was a "natural" too!).  I just have to start playing I guess. I figure I'm going to drag my Dad to a range this week and hit some balls around - maybe even get a golf cart and try and play 9 holes.  

So my run and eating habits today...

Breakfast was a soy latte, a multi-grain rice cake, and sunflower seed butter.  I took off to the canal, brought some water and an energy/recovery drink, and a banana as a post run snack.  I ran the 3 miler that I was supposed to do Friday.  It was hot - already 89 degrees plus whatever the heat index was - but I felt okay.  There were patches of tree shaded coverage and I totally appreciated that.  I felt strong, well hydrated, had appropriate energy, and dressed fine for the weather too (tank top and capri's).  The newest book is very interesting to listen to, so I was engrossed with that.  Lunch was a veggie burger with hot sauce and french fries...and a bloody mary and a half.  Dinner was a big salad with some baked tofu I made yesterday (it's my favorite tofu - marinated in OJ, mirin, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and cayenne...then baked.  Fabulous).  And red wine.  Yum.  All in all, a very good day.  I have to work tomorrow, and have a 3 mile scheduled run.  Likely I will do this in the evening while the kids are at TKD.  We'll see I guess, but it's supposed to be cooler tomorrow (high of 90), so I may have more flexibility with when I run.

Time to stop babbling.  We finally got everyone to be a few minutes ago, so off I go myself!  Good night :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment