About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Wearing the Water Bottle Belty Thingy the Right Way Makes a World of Difference

I have a couple different water bottle belts I use when running.  The first one I bought several years ago has 4 bottles, but doesn't fit anymore.  I also feel like it carries way more water than I typically need on a run (though that may change as I hit long runs of 20+ miles).  I purchased a 2 bottle belt (Click Here) about a year and a half ago at the OBX 1/2 Marathon Expo.  I really like this one - it holds two bottles and I usually put water in one and a recovery/energy drink mix in the other.  The little pouch also holds my phone, iPod, keys, etc.  I have been proudly wearing this belt for a better part of a year and a half, and it's great.  I think the bottles bounce a bit sometimes, but otherwise it's perfect.  So imagine my surprise (and chagrin) last weekend when I'm running at the canal trail and I see a fellow runner wearing one....and I realize that this entire time, I've been wearing it BACKWARDS.  I always put the pouch in the back, which now that I think about it - explains why the bottles bounce.  It never dawned on me that I had the clips that hold it together (think seat belt/fanny pack) in the front.  I promptly felt like a moron that I had been this lame for this long.

On last night's 6 miler, I wore the water belt the OTHER way....and it was amazing!  I liked this belt before...I love it now.  With the pouch and the bottles in the front - they don't bounce.  They stay where they are supposed to, and I can't really even tell it's there.  I feel fairly dumb since I've worn these belts to actual races, and have never worn them correctly.  Alas....

I need to make this quick (ish) because I have to get to work (even though it's my day off.  Yes, I'm that dedicated!). 

I woke up early yesterday to help get the kids off to school.  D went to work, and dad and I left at 850am to see M's honor roll presentation, which was really really nice.  It wrapped up around 10am, and dad and I went off to breakfast.  I had some plain oatmeal and mixed fruit.  We ran some errands (going to the VW dealership), and even went to a junkyard!  I was really excited, but didn't actually see anything.  They charge $1 just to let you walk around.  We talked to the guy, found out they didn't have any VW bugs at all, so there was no reason to walk around and hunt for parts that didn't exist.  Needless to say, I left feeling very disappointed.  We went to see a mechanic, got the blinker fixed, then went to grab lunch.  I took him to Moe's, and we both got taco salads.  No talkative clerk this time!  After a quick trip to Walmart, we picked R up from her daycare, and came home. 

Dad and M played cribbage for a bit, and R just played.  I was planning on going for a run around 430, when I decided that an iced latte would be a better idea (I was tired, though I don't know why).  So I had some coffee and then ended up playing a couple games of cribbage myself - one with M and one with Dad.  I lost both.  By then, D had gotten home, picked up A, and was getting ready to head to TKD.  I hadn't started dinner yet, so I knew that my run would be very late.

I made dinner (pork tenderloin, baked sweet potatoes, and green beans) for everyone else - I had toast with sunflower butter.  I had changed into running clothes, but wasn't feeling so hot.  The coffee was not sitting well, and my stomach hurt.  I decided around 845pm that I was going to go out anyway - no promises on doing the full 6 - but waned to at least see how I felt when I got going.

So I put on my belt (the right way!), my reflective belt as well (L gave it to me about a year ago - she worries when I run at night in the dark!), and my iPod.  It didn't take more than a couple minutes of running to realize I was feeling great.  My stomach ache was gone, my blood was pumping, and this book is fabulous.  I decided to do the full 6 after all, and even when I was done, I felt like I could have kept going and going.

It was very late by the time I got home, showered, and went to sleep.  I feel bad because D always waits up for me, and he has been so tired lately. 

Today is a rest day, but I'm planning on my Fitlinxx workout.  I have two meetings today, but should be done by noon ish.  I'll hit the gym, get R, then get home.  She has dress rehearsal for her dance recital - which typically goes from 5-10pm.  If I don't get to the gym right after my meetings, I won't be able to go and will break my streak.  I can't have that!

So now I have to get my butt out the door to get to my first meeting of the day.  Hopefully it'll all be pretty low key.  

No comments:

Post a Comment