About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Sick Monkey's and Speedwork

I just know when something is wrong with one of my kids.  When they act a bit less energetic, seem to be less than fully well - I know.  I know this isn't a phenomena only known to me as a mother and it's easy to pick up the signs, but still...And I knew Sunday afternoon that something was up with R.  She wasn't as playful, wasn't as hungry, and just wanted to snuggle. I know these are pretty much beacons screaming SOMETHING'S WRONG - and it's probably pretty obvious to everyone.  We had gone swimming earlier that day (around 1) and she was as excited as ever.  Later that afternoon, she was pretty much uninterested in playing.  At first I thought it was the heat (she doesn't react too well to long term heat exposure), but it was more than that.  When she started complaining of her ear hurting - combined with a bit of a snuffly nose - we knew that she was verging (if not already at) an ear/sinus infection.  I had planned already on taking her to our pediatrician's sick clinic at 730am on Monday - and sure enough, at 3am, R comes crying into our bedroom.  She had gotten confused (and feverish), woke up, dressed for the day, and was upset we didn't "come get her" from her room.  Poor baby.  Into our bed she crawled, and then off to the Dr we went.  Sure enough - a combo of swimmers ear and sinus infection had her (and me) home for the day.  Why am I telling you all this - so you'll forgive me for not doing my 40 minute run on Monday :)

Oh, and sometime late Monday afternoon, M broke out with pink eye.  I wouldn't recommend coming to my house this week...

I did, however, eat very well!  Breakfast was coffee, a rice cake with sunflower butter, and half a banana.  I made a vegan crock pot chili sin carne and cornbread for dinner.  Lunch was nothing memorable since I can't remember!  I should have run, but was just too exhausted.  R slept on our bedroom floor (camping style), but seemed to have slept well.  D stayed home with her today and her fever hasn't come back in almost 24 hrs, so I'm hopeful. 

After work today, I went to the Y to do my Fitlinxx strength training workout AND....yesterday's 40 minute run!  So yeah...workouts done.  I had some Ezekiel bread with sunflower seed butter and banana for breakfast, black bean and squash enchiladas for lunch, and fruit and cornbread for dinner.  For dinner for everyone else, I made chicken with wine sauce in the pressure cooker, pasta side dish, and peas.  R still didn't seem right, so we decided to keep her home another day.  She camped on our floor again.

Today I had tacos for breakfast (which is just an awesome thing to even SAY much less do!).  I used the leftover vegan chili from Monday and put them in crunchy corn taco shells with some hot salsa and guacamole.  Lunch was brown rice and a banana.  About an hour and a half after I ate lunch, I did my speed work workout.  I did 6 repeats, and it was MUCH better than my attempt last week.  D thinks I'm getting better.  I think it was a combination of being well fueled (bananas are magical for that) and running at the right speed - 2:12 per quarter mile.  I like his theory better :)

Dinner was pretty awesome too.  I used two crock pots and my pressure cooker.  In one crock pot I had bell peppers stuffed with Israeli Couscous and Lentils, and in the other was a Brown Rice Stuffed Acorn Squash.  YUM.  In the pressure cooker I made pork chops and gravy, so everyone got a very well balanced dinner.

M is still in quarantine with pink eye, but it looks much better.  Poor thing is hauling Lysol wipes wherever he goes.  R is relaxing and watching a movie up in my room.  D is at A's TKD class.  I'm having a peaceful moment watching a CSI rerun and updating the events of the past few days! 

Tomorrow is a long day of meetings, so I may not blog until Friday.  I guess we'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment