About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Japanese Food Does Not a Good Pre-Run Meal Make

Thursday night was very hectic with R's dance recital rehearsal.  We were there for nearly 4 hours, with her backstage - and me not allowed to be.  It ended up being a very good night, if not a very long one!  I should have done my Fitlinxx routine on Thursday, but just couldn't squeeze it in.  My plan was to go to work on Thursday, leave at noon, hit the Y and be home by 2.  That would give me plenty of time to pick R up from school, get her cleaned up and in full costume + makeup and hair, and get downtown by 430.  Alas....it would have been a perfect plan had I actually left work at noon instead of going on 130.  As much as I wanted to hit the gym, there was no way I could. 

At least I took the full day off on Friday.  I got up with D and the kids as they got ready for school and work.  When they left, I left to get to the gym and do my Fitlinxx workout.  I was home right about 9am and had a compulsion to do yard work.  Dad was up by then, so after he accidentally let my cat Bumble escape, he came outside and hung out with me while I cut the grass.  I went to start the weed whacking, and he took the lawnmower to go over a part I didn't get right (it's around a tree).  We had lunch plans with D at noon, so finally just after 11, we quit so I could go get cleaned up.

We met up with D at my favorite Japanese restaurant!  We actually took Dad there last year when he came to visit too.  So after a yummy lunch of tempura vegetables and veggie sushi (for me, hibachi for them), Dad and I set off to run a bunch of errands.  We started with the Book Exchange in Norfolk.  Dad's taking a train home, and wanted some books to pass the time.  Then we went out to the farmer's market in Va Beach and picked up some fruit, veggies, apple butter, and honey.  Off to Pet Smart to get some fun things for Sammie and Bumble, picked up R, then got home around 330.

Dinner was finally leftovers for everyone else.  I've been cooking for a week, with no one eating the leftovers.  It drives me crazy - but my family absolutely sucks at eating the same meal more than once.  I was expecting them to eat leftovers on Thursday when I was downtown with R all night, but NO....D ordered pizza.  So I made them eat the red beans and rice, pub sandwiches, and spaghetti and meatballs.  As for me, I made new food (since none of the leftovers were vegan), and I made this awesome Lemony Butternut Squash Qunioa that I first started making last fall and some Mashed Cauliflower I've made a few times.

After the kids got home from school, there were a few games of cribbage, then D took A and her friend to the mall, then M to his music lessons.  I finally took off for my run around 9pm.  It was only a 3 miler, which is good because it felt like I was dragging through the whole thing.  I go through it okay, but it wasn't fun.  I didn't feel like I had the right energy level, so I decided to blame my lunch.  First of all, I ate something fried (tempura veggies) which I rarely do.  And while there is rice in the sushi, I don't think it was enough carbs - and they weren't whole grain carbs.  So I just don't think I fueled well.  Breakfast was coffee and a rice cake with sunflower seed butter before going to the gym, which is always ends up being a good breakfast for me before working out.  While dinner had some good carbs in it, it wasn't much, and most of my dinner was a lot of veggies.  Snacks during the afternoon were watermelon, so I'm thinking I didn't balance my food intake well, and that's what caused the draggy feeling.  At least Japanese was way better then how I react to Thai food before eating.  I didn't barf in any one's yard this time...just felt slow.

So today is a 5 miler, which I'll do this evening, and I'm going to pay better attention to balancing my food today to see if that makes a difference. 

Off to wake up the rest of the household.  I made some fresh vegan chocolate chip scones this morning, and R has swim lessons in an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment