About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Swim Fins are Cool

I imagine the title of my post is a bit misleading.  I don't actually have swim fins, but I did buy some for R that arrived today from swimoutlet.com, as did my new goggles (M managed to lose mine at the Y a couple weeks ago).  I decided that today's training run would take place at the Y so I could take R swimming with her new fins while D took A and M to Tae Kwon Do.

So after work I took M shoe shopping (he has a band concert tomorrow and his nicer black shoes are now too small for him), picked R up from daycare, and came home.  Right as we were finishing homework, D got home, we said a quick hello, then he was off to pick A up from school then take A and M to class, while R and I headed to the Y for some fun.

R went into the Playzone while I hopped on a treadmill.  Now, you all know how I feel about treadmills (hamster), but I have a feeling that one a week may need to take place on them.  If I hadn't gone to the Y or used my treadmill at home, it would have been nearly 830pm before I could have gone out for a run (me+mornings do NOT = running).  This way, I could get my run done while R was having fun and being safely watched.  Not my ideal for sure - most of my runs need to be outside or I'll never actually finish the marathon - but a few won't hurt.  I just know it can't be any more than 3-4 miles or I'll go batty running in place.

After my run was finished (I did the 5K pre-program), I grabbed R and we went swimming.  Here's the fun part...swim fins make a person INSANELY fast.  She was like a bloody torpedo!  I had to swim a normal front crawl just to keep up with her, and she kept zipping back and forth the length of the pool to the point I realized I was getting a second workout in.  She barely came up for air and anytime she stopped it was because I made her so we could catch a breath.  One dad there commented on how she was just zipping all over the place.  It was hysterical.  And exhausting.  After a half hour or so, I told her we had to hit the hot tub and then shower up.  Really, I just didn't think I could keep up with her anymore.  D picked up Subway after TKD and we all got home at exactly the same time.  All in all, it was a good evening.  Which is good because I was in a funky mood before that.  Gotta love the power of exercise!

A quick recap of the past couple of days...

Yesterday was Mother's day.  We had a very low key day - I mainly sat upstairs watching the Real Housewives show...which I had never seen before, but can fully grasp how someone can just get sucked in.  It's amazing how a bunch a women who don't actually do anything can have SO much drama.  D commented a few times about how the Jersey husbands must be in "waste management".  I can fully see that.
D made me dinner which came out right as the dinner I made for everyone else was done!  He made me a vegan taco dish that was quite tasty and I had the leftovers for lunch today, so technically I guess he made me two meals!  He was also a very good bartender to me yesterday :)  

Saturday was an icky day.  I felt awful all day and got dizzy every time I stood up.  Not fun, so I chilled most of the day.  I did take R to her swim lessons and then to the outdoor pool for a bit though before I started feeling too much like passing out.

Before Saturday, I can't really remember, so it must not have been too monumental, though I did run (again on a treadmill because it was stupid-hot). 

Thank goodness tomorrow is a Rest day.  I have to go to a parent's meeting with A from 630-8pm about her NYC trip later this month.  Unfortunately, that means I am going to miss this band concert for M, which I'm really not happy about.  Hopefully D will record it for me.  Guess I should ask him to.  I keep forgetting he's not a mind reader.  Though he should be by now.

Oh yeah, my actual run today....I had 1/2 a Clif Bar about an hour before the run.  I love Clif Bars.  They never do me wrong!  I was appropriately dressed because I ran inside and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a t-shirt and shorts are all you really need to worry about.  I am still listening to the Lost Symbol.  Not loving it, I must say.  It's okay...but sucks in comparison to DaVinci Code, Deception Point, or Angels & Demons.  I did a 5 minute warm up, the 5K loop, and a 5 min cool down.  Total workout time was 42 minutes, which means the 5K part was 32 minutes.  Not too bad.

So that's it.  Time for bed and then a busy day tomorrow.  But really...what else is new?

No comments:

Post a Comment