About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, May 30, 2010

I Wanted a Beer...But I Went to the Gym

I woke up fairly early today...before Sam felt the need to do her super bark to wake me up.  I had a few minutes of silence before the youngest woke up, and enjoyed a homemade raspberry soy mocha.  Sometime between when I woke up and at 945 this morning, I decided to take M and R to Watercountry today after all.  According to the cool weather site, today no longer risked rain showers, and was just going to be hot and mostly sunny.  D wanted to go, but didn't think his knee could take it.  I pouted, but went anyway!  He stayed home and actually finished the week whacking!  Now all that's left is hacking the tree branches that are hanging over our fence from neighbors' yards.

I went to Target to buy some snacks and new water shoes for R and we took off around 11.  We got up there right about noon, and spent part of the afternoon playing in the water.  We started off in the wave pool, then on to some rides and then hubba hubba highway. For only being 6, R is overly fearless and adventurous.  She wanted to go on everything, and nothing scared her.  M was great about making sure she was safe too, and that always makes me happy.  He's probably my most responsible child!  It was very crowded and lines started getting really long, so we left around 3.  That's the nice thing about having passes...I don't feel the need to hang out all day to get my money's worth!

On the way home I kept thinking how nice it would be to have a beer and relax for the rest of the evening.  Instead....I got home, changed, and hit the gym.  I'm on a streak, and I know that I'll never cross the finish line in Chicago if I start slacking on my workouts. That's part of the reason for doing this blog too - it keeps me going.  If I don't workout, I have nothing to post about!  As I was leaving, D quipped at me if I was only going to do one set on the machines.  Feeling like I was being called a slacker (and knowing deep down that one set isn't really effective), I decided to do TWO sets!  So yes, I set up the circuit, and did 2 sets on each machine.  Talk about painful....after the first couple of machines, I switched from music to the book.  I did 2 sets of 12 reps each on each machine except the shoulder press.  On that one, I did two sets of 8.  I have NO upper body strength, and that one is particularly tough for me.  Anyway, Fitlinxx said I lifted 13,000 lbs today, so I guess it was an hour well spent.  I imagine if I can easily spend an hour doing nothing at all, I can find a way to suffer through an hour of working out at the gym.

I went home, picked up D, M, and R, and dragged them all out to Frank's II (the place R and I went to Friday for the first time).  I got eggplant again, and everyone really loved their meals.  I was happy, full, had a glass of Chianti, and was ready to come home and finally shower and relax (and have more wine). 

I've spent the rest of the evening in jammies and catching up on some TV (Housewives of NY and Flashforward so far...). 

A called a few times today at various groovy places in NYC.  They finally left there at about 720 this evening, so she should be home sometime around 2am.  R has been very cute, making a big Welcome Home sign and cards for her big sister.  I imagine D and A are going to sleep most of tomorrow.  I was thinking about taking M and R to the beach - but it's supposed to hit 115 degrees (with the heat index.  100 without), and think that's a day best spent inside where there is air conditioning.  Maybe we'll try and find a movie or something that involves remaining indoors.  If not, we'll just be REALLY quiet while they sleep!  Tomorrow is a run day though, and I'm thinking it'll be a treadmill day.  I guess we'll see!

Overall, it's been a very good day indeed.  I got to play, swim, and workout, AND I didn't have to cook dinner.  Don't get me wrong, I love to cook.  Except when it's hot.  Or when I'm feeling lazy.  Tonight, I get to go to bed and wake up with my daughter home from her trip, which also makes me happy.  I'm glad she had fun, but I'm really ready for her to come back home.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment