About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

6,660 lbs!!!

I know this post is a day late and I'm sorry.  It really is justified and will all make sense in a few...

So I did it!  I WENT TO THE GYM BEFORE WORK.  I wasn't so confident that I'd be able to, but since I did post about it in my last blog entry, I figured I had better actually do it.

So I went to the Y before work and did the Fitlinxx circuit.  It's amazing to me how crowded the gym is at that time a day...like people actually WANT to workout in the mornings.  Eww...I'm all about sleeping in the mornings, and the options of exercise vs. sleep are really not an internal debate I ever have.
BUT, I knew that I was going to be tied up in work related events until at least 730pm and there would be no way I'd go to the gym that late when all I'd likely want to do is have a glass of wine or something.

So the 6,660 lbs....when you do the Fitlinxx circuit, you have a pin number that you enter into a touch screen monitor. That computer system then communicates with all the weight lifting machines sending the different settings (like seat, weight, etc). It's actually pretty cool. When you get to each machine, you enter your pin on the mini touch screen attached, and it'll tells you how to set up the machine for you specifically. It records how many repetitions and sets you do. You tell it you're done, and move on to the next machine.  When you're done with the circuit, you go to the big monitor, enter any cardio workouts you may have done, and then tell it your finished with the weight lifting.  It then proudly displays how many pounds you lifted total - and mine for yesterday was 6,660 lbs!  At the end of each month, I get an email from Fitlinxx equating how much weight lifted into terms of elephants, cars, and other big things.  When I get the May report, I'll be sure to let you know how many elephants I picked up.

For anyone interested, Fitlinxx is at all of our area Y's, and it's free.  Here's the link Fitlinxx Homepage




 After working out (which since I'm still only doing 1 circuit - which is 1 set of each exercise - only took about a half hour ish), I took a shower and headed to work.  I didn't eat before hand (just java), but wasn't too worried.  I had these rice paper/tofu/spring roll wrap things and some creamy potato soup around 10am for brunch.  I did make some burritos for my friend S for lunch though :) 

I had a few meetings throughout the day, and then it was off to the City Council meeting in Chesapeake.  My company (a health care system) wishes to build a freestanding Emergency Department.  The local hospital, which is a single community hospital facility - not a system - is very, very much against it.  The community hospital began a very negative campaign about a month ago against my company, and the city council meeting was to vote on whether we could proceed with construction or not.  There were 36 speakers - all given 5 minutes to speak.  It was very emotional, and I dare say there was some mudslinging going on from the opposition.  I felt like I was at a presidential debate or something.  There was a very, very large crowd - standing room only and some had to listen via speakers in the hallway.  In the end, we went until just after 10pm, and the city council voted unanimously against my company.  I think it's a mistake, and that any improved and additional access to health care services could only be good for my community.  I'm thinking the battle is over, but not the war....guess we'll see.  But the point is, I was at this meeting from 5-10pm.  With no food.  Or water.  Or wine.  I got home around 1015, but didn't want to eat that late, so just went to bed.

So...good for me that I went to the gym.  BAD that my total caloric intake was about 250 calories.  Very, very unhealthy and bad. 

So now, I've had my coffee and it's time to work.  I'll snarf a banana and then get some lunch later.  I have to run 5 mi tonight, so if I can, I'll have a second post of the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment