About Me

My photo
Hampton Roads, Virginia, United States
I am a late-30's busy career mom, attempting to find her inner athlete, be a vegan in a non-vegan household, and find a way to balance it all without going crazy! I love to cook, read, run, knit, and learn as many new things as I can - which often gets me in trouble.... I am passionate about life in general, and if I didn't write about it, I'd probably implode.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Today was my Saturday AND Sunday!

I missed my group run yesterday :(  It really did make me sad because even though I eventually got my miles in, it wasn't the same.  I found myself dreading the run the entire time, and was feeling overwhelmed when I wasn't quite to the 1 mile mark, wondering how the heck I'd get through 9!  I kept trying to channel my inner Coach Jerry and remember that running is a head game as much as anything else.  I missed the social interaction of the group, but instead focused on my audio book - which is almost over and getting good.  I think I figured out who the bad guy is.  With any luck, I'll finish the book this week, and will post if I was right! 


D wasn't feeling too hot on Friday - and I went to a friends house (to bring them some software) and ended up with her and her husband going out to dinner at 9pm...so it was a late night by the time I got home around 1030.  R has swim lessons on Saturday morning, and I wanted D to stay home and rest, so I didn't make it to the group run.  I had every intention of running the 9 miles that afternoon - but ended up shopping in Williamsburg, having minor upset belly issues, and then of course getting ready for a friends birthday dinner and comedy show that night.  Explaining the events of that night would take forever - but lets just say that one of our party almost got kicked out of the place, there was only ONE waitress for a table of 22...and no one was getting drink refills or food, when the food did come it was terrible, and the comics...well, lets just say they are comic students, and have to finish classes yet.  Despite all that, it was a fun night and I hope my friend had a great birthday celebration.


All is NOT lost however, as Sundays are typically a rest/crosstrain day.  I did both!  I took the kids to a Family Yoga class at The Space Above in Norfolk, and after bringing them home and having a quick snack (rice cake with sunflower butter), I drove the the Great Dismal Swamp and ran my 9.  I'm not sure why it's called the dismal swamp (I'll have to look that up), but it was quite cheery actually!  It was 63 degrees, so there were a ton of people out, which was nice.  I wore a short sleeve shirt and short pants - and was dressed perfectly.  I had my water bottle belt thingy too, since I figured it would take me an hour and a half or so to finish.  Near the end I must have been looking a wee rough, two women ran past me and asked me to run with them the last 1/4 mile.  Their timing was nothing short of perfect, and really made me kick into gear that last little bit.  So to the two mystery runners, thanks!  You restored my sanity when I thought it was toast.


My dumb Garmin's battery died.  I took it off the charger yesterday (anticipating running), but it was off.  I went to turn it on this afternoon, and it flashed Low Battery then peetered out.  I had a fleeting moment of NOT running right then, but figured that was a bit of a cop-out.  I actually used the digital readout on my bodybugg to time myself.  I was freaking out a bit about not knowing if I'd run EXACTLY 9 miles, BUT....they had mile markers!!!  I got to keep to my still obsessive need to run precicely what I should.  My Dad called when I was in my last mile.  I answered the phone, and must have sounded hilarious to him as I'm huffing and puffing and explaining what I as doing.  He was just calling to check on D to see how he was feeling, but still - I'm sure my exhausted and strained voice wasn't what he was expecting to hear.


After stopping at the grocery, I made dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, and now will hopefully catch up on at least some of my 95 hrs of recorded shows that I'm behind on.  My Dad is a little annoyed at some of the shows I'm behind - he can't call me and talk about them.  Mainly it's White Collar and Stargate Universe...oh, and Human Target, and Fringe, and NCIS, and a million other shows I'm way off on.  I do stay current on Castle though, in case anyone wants to chat about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment